I really haven't got a clue

Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:40 am
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road
Default I really haven't got a clue

I have been offered a job as a structural engineer, which is on the long skills shortage list, signed the contract, had my medical and police checks so everything's ok. My employer is an accredited employer and advised me to apply for a work to residency visa

However when looking through the details it says i am to have a minimum two year contract, however i have a contract for 18 months and i probably won't even be there that long

So the million dollar question is what visa route to go for? Would it just be easier to get my contract changed to two years with some sort of gentleman's agreement to end it early?

Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:23 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I really haven't got a clue

I don't know myself, but in addition to the advice you get here I would get back in touch with your future employer and ask for their advice. As an accredited employer I would be surprised if they didn't know the rules. They may have some inside info.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
I don't know myself, but in addition to the advice you get here I would get back in touch with your future employer and ask for their advice. As an accredited employer I would be surprised if they didn't know the rules. They may have some inside info.
ditto

That's an accredited employer. They know the rules.

not sure why you are doing all of this for a stay of less that 18 months.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:53 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chillyed
...My employer is an accredited employer and advised me to apply for a work to residency visa

...i have a contract for 18 months and i probably won't even be there that long.
Sounds like you need the employer to get themselves straight internally, do they realise it may be shorter than 18mths or do they think you are there long/permanent term???
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road

yeah i couldnt understand why they recommended i got a WTR visa either, maybe they're going to hold me hostage

when i spoke ton them last they were hesitant to give me advice as they reckon it's frowned upon by the immigration guys. Or perhaps they cant be bothered getting involved. I'll have submit an EOI for a skilled migrant visa i have 190 points so that should be pretty straightforward
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:09 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chillyed
yeah i couldnt understand why they recommended i got a WTR visa either, maybe they're going to hold me hostage

when i spoke ton them last they were hesitant to give me advice as they reckon it's frowned upon by the immigration guys. Or perhaps they cant be bothered getting involved. I'll have submit an EOI for a skilled migrant visa i have 190 points so that should be pretty straightforward
Yes you have to be licenced to give immigration advice BUT...

WHY apply for permanent residency (EOI etc) for an 18mth stay???? That is the most expensive, time and documentation consuming exercise ever for that length of stay....
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Why not apply for a Work visa?