British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   I really haven't got a clue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/i-really-havent-got-clue-694642/)

chillyed Nov 24th 2010 11:40 am

I really haven't got a clue

I have been offered a job as a structural engineer, which is on the long skills shortage list, signed the contract, had my medical and police checks so everything's ok. My employer is an accredited employer and advised me to apply for a work to residency visa

However when looking through the details it says i am to have a minimum two year contract, however i have a contract for 18 months and i probably won't even be there that long

So the million dollar question is what visa route to go for? Would it just be easier to get my contract changed to two years with some sort of gentleman's agreement to end it early?

:confused:

jmh Nov 24th 2010 12:23 pm

Re: I really haven't got a clue

I don't know myself, but in addition to the advice you get here I would get back in touch with your future employer and ask for their advice. As an accredited employer I would be surprised if they didn't know the rules. They may have some inside info.

BEVS Nov 25th 2010 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 9001277)
I don't know myself, but in addition to the advice you get here I would get back in touch with your future employer and ask for their advice. As an accredited employer I would be surprised if they didn't know the rules. They may have some inside info.

ditto

That's an accredited employer. They know the rules.

not sure why you are doing all of this for a stay of less that 18 months.

simonsi Nov 25th 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by chillyed (Post 9001203)
...My employer is an accredited employer and advised me to apply for a work to residency visa

...i have a contract for 18 months and i probably won't even be there that long.

Sounds like you need the employer to get themselves straight internally, do they realise it may be shorter than 18mths or do they think you are there long/permanent term???

chillyed Nov 25th 2010 6:59 pm

yeah i couldnt understand why they recommended i got a WTR visa either, maybe they're going to hold me hostage :(

when i spoke ton them last they were hesitant to give me advice as they reckon it's frowned upon by the immigration guys. Or perhaps they cant be bothered getting involved. I'll have submit an EOI for a skilled migrant visa i have 190 points so that should be pretty straightforward

simonsi Nov 25th 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by chillyed (Post 9004088)
yeah i couldnt understand why they recommended i got a WTR visa either, maybe they're going to hold me hostage :(

when i spoke ton them last they were hesitant to give me advice as they reckon it's frowned upon by the immigration guys. Or perhaps they cant be bothered getting involved. I'll have submit an EOI for a skilled migrant visa i have 190 points so that should be pretty straightforward

Yes you have to be licenced to give immigration advice BUT...

WHY apply for permanent residency (EOI etc) for an 18mth stay???? That is the most expensive, time and documentation consuming exercise ever for that length of stay....

Persephone Nov 25th 2010 11:00 pm

Why not apply for a Work visa?