Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Eoi or temporary work visa (essential skills) ??

Eoi or temporary work visa (essential skills) ??

Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eoi or temporary work visa (essential skills) ??

Hi looking for some info on the best route to take. Ive managed to get a job offer as a plumber/gasfitter and Im not sure whether to submit an EOI or apply for a Temporary work visa called essential skills. My job is not listed on the ISSL or LTSL. The offer of employment is not from an accredited employer however they have confirmed with me they have advertised the job locally and been unable to find a NZ citizen or resident available or suitable to fill the position. I have already registered with the PGDB and can apply for a limited license now I have a job offer.

If I apply for the essential skills visa can I apply for residence at the end of that visa?

What visa would my partner need to submit to join me?

What costs are involved with the EOI as compared to the temp visa?

Any help much appreciated just not sure of my next step
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eoi or temporary work visa (essential skills) ??

Originally Posted by tonz76
Hi looking for some info on the best route to take. Ive managed to get a job offer as a plumber/gasfitter and Im not sure whether to submit an EOI or apply for a Temporary work visa called essential skills. My job is not listed on the ISSL or LTSL. The offer of employment is not from an accredited employer however they have confirmed with me they have advertised the job locally and been unable to find a NZ citizen or resident available or suitable to fill the position. I have already registered with the PGDB and can apply for a limited license now I have a job offer.

If I apply for the essential skills visa can I apply for residence at the end of that visa?

What visa would my partner need to submit to join me?

What costs are involved with the EOI as compared to the temp visa?

Any help much appreciated just not sure of my next step
hi go for PR every time , if you have enough points, temporary work visas have a habit of not beening renewed, paper work is about £1,000 your wife can apply on the back of you
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi go for PR every time , if you have enough points, temporary work visas have a habit of not beening renewed, paper work is about £1,000 your wife can apply on the back of you
Just wondering how long it will take for the EOI to go through once selected. Would it be wise to apply for the temp visa too so that I can start wrk sooner?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Just wondering how long it will take for the EOI to go through once selected. Would it be wise to apply for the temp visa too so that I can start wrk sooner?
hi as long as you have at least 140 points or 100 with a job offer then normally only a couple of weeks before you get selected from the pool, then they check your EOI, and if things are okay you could be invited to apply
the thing with tempory is nz imm change there mind a lot
what might be okay now might not be in a years time, we have one years visas but cant sell house, but in mean time looking to see if we can get PR
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Our PR took around 12 weeks from submitting the EOI to PR.
The process is quicker for those lucky enough to have a job offer. See our timeline below.
The EOI fee goes up to $440 (around £210) from 1st Dec.