Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

grounds for older immigration - any experience of this?

grounds for older immigration - any experience of this?

Old May 7th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: grounds for older immigration - any experience of this?

Originally Posted by sirplug
Just a thought, would you be able to go via Oz, with your son. I know Kiwi's have a right to live in Oz but I'm not sure whether the arrangement can be used in the opposite direction. If your son has been in Oz long enough, can he not sponsor you to Oz and then go to NZ?

Might be completely wrong on all that but it might be worth a look into.

Good Luck
Hi Currytiffin (great name by the way!), Don't give up on your dream! I am sure that Sirplug may have a valid point here, and it may well be worth persuing. Have you looked into it?
I have found this to be a v. interesting post as I have parents who are keen to spend time with us in NZ and it would be so much easier to come and go as they please if they had PR. At present, hearing what others have to say, does inform us of the ways we cannot consider. If we do come across a possible route we'll let you know. But don't give up yet. I am sure there are ways around all things, just have to find them. Good luck
Old May 8th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

currytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug
Just a thought, would you be able to go via Oz, with your son. I know Kiwi's have a right to live in Oz but I'm not sure whether the arrangement can be used in the opposite direction. If your son has been in Oz long enough, can he not sponsor you to Oz and then go to NZ?

Might be completely wrong on all that but it might be worth a look into.

Good Luck
Has anyone got any information about this: Rob [son] is well-qualified to sponsor us into Oz: but does anyone know how migrating from Oz to NZ might work
Old May 8th 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

currytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi Currytiffin (great name by the way!), Don't give up on your dream! I am sure that Sirplug may have a valid point here, and it may well be worth persuing. Have you looked into it?
I have found this to be a v. interesting post as I have parents who are keen to spend time with us in NZ and it would be so much easier to come and go as they please if they had PR. At present, hearing what others have to say, does inform us of the ways we cannot consider. If we do come across a possible route we'll let you know. But don't give up yet. I am sure there are ways around all things, just have to find them. Good luck
Thank you Leighlou, and I am glad if our questions have helped you to find answers for your parents Like you I am sure there must be a way, and now it is just a question of looking further, and asking people to give us their thoughts and experience... HELP!!
Old May 8th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by currytiffin
Has anyone got any information about this: Rob [son] is well-qualified to sponsor us into Oz: but does anyone know how migrating from Oz to NZ might work
This is what NZ Immigration say:

If you are entering New Zealand with a current Australian Permanent Residence Visa or a current Australian Resident
Return Visa, you will normally be granted a New Zealand Residence Permit on arrival.

But will you be able to get Australian PR?

Aren't the rules about the balance of family the same as for NZ?

JAJ on the Oz forum posted this comment:

If in total you have four children, one child in Australia is not enough to pass the Balance of Family test. You need at least two children out of four.

Kip