Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Card.

Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Card.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Car

Is it Bellingham (US) airport the one most people use when getting around this issue?
Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Car

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Is it Bellingham (US) airport the one most people use when getting around this issue?
Depends if destined for Vancouver then yes or Seattle Tacoma not so much if destined for Toronto who would use Buffalo or Detroit.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Looks like the PRTD is dealt with by one of the VAC centres in London, this mens there may be real people that I can have a conversation with! Happy days!

But seriously. I'll contact them tomorrow to see if a visit in person with all necessary documentation will help speed things along.

In the meantime we will find out what ticket prices are to Bellingham and Seattle.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Looks like the PRTD is dealt with by one of the VAC centres in London, this mens there may be real people that I can have a conversation with! Happy days!

But seriously. I'll contact them tomorrow to see if a visit in person with all necessary documentation will help speed things along.

In the meantime we will find out what ticket prices are to Bellingham and Seattle.
Hey! I'm in the same boat as your wife and also trying to figure out if I can get a PRTD in time for a flight at the end of July. I phoned the VAC today and they weren't able to give any info as they said everything is processed by the High Commission. I did get this email yesterday from the High Commission which you might find helpful:

If you meet the obligations, you will be issued a Travel Document that will allow you to re-enter Canada from abroad. Please fill out all necessary application forms to the best of your ability. Applicants should normally apply for this Travel Document no more than 60 days prior to the intended travel date. If your intended date of travel is less than 60 days away, please make sure to include copies of the airline tickets to be used.

All PRTD applications must be submitted through the Visa Application Centre. Link to the VFS Global Visa Application Center: Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - Home Page

Processing times for most Travel Document applications are currently 3 working days from the point of application. However, if your travel is urgent, kindly include a cover letter explaining the matter of urgency, along with your contact number, when submitting your application.
It sounds like they can process applications urgently but obviously no guarantee. I'm worried if I send my passport off it won't come back in time as we fly on the 27th....eek!

If you find out anything else please keep us posted - I'm contemplating either hopping on a train to London tomorrow or going through the eTA/online renounce process
Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Hope.
Looks like I should work on completing the docs tonight.
We are also flying out on 27th. We were also thinking of making the trip to London for the same reason although without the travel document the passport won't be needed...unless we pay extortionate prices for last minute booking to the US.

Just read your post. Yes, situation seems exactly the same. I think PRTD is probably the best route to go through. I read somewhere that sometimes airline can hold your tickets for 48hrs but we haven't confirmed that yet.

Last edited by Dis-Illusionist; Jul 17th 2019 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Yep he's a Canadian citizen so he's fine, but my PR card has expired, he might fly without me!

I've just submitted an eTA and included a note to request the online application to renounce as I think I might be able to get that done in time. It's silly that the online application for renouncing isn't available unless you first apply for an eTA and get denied. Did you have any luck sorting out the issue with the eTA account?

I wish I had looked into this weeks/months ago!!
Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

No, nothing on the account. Even reported the discrepancy as a technical problem as their webpage doesn't agree with what the email states in the hope we get some sort of reply.
But based on discussions since then we will go for the PRTD.
I had forgotten how slow Canadian Govt office processes were.
Having said that, our passport turnaround was quite quick.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist I've been wondering how you got on with this! I went ahead with the eTA application/renouncing status and it took about 48 hours all in all so fairly speedy - just noting this here for anyone thinking of doing the same. It was a tricky decision to renounce but I think was the right move for us...we are definitely going to be staying in UK unless the country literally falls apart ha (if it does I will regret doing this!!)

Hope the VAC centre were helpful and you were able to get the PRTD processed in time? Did you head into London?
Old Jul 28th 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hopeintoronto
Dis-Illusionist I've been wondering how you got on with this! I went ahead with the eTA application/renouncing status and it took about 48 hours all in all so fairly speedy - just noting this here for anyone thinking of doing the same. It was a tricky decision to renounce but I think was the right move for us...we are definitely going to be staying in UK unless the country literally falls apart ha (if it does I will regret doing this!!)

Hope the VAC centre were helpful and you were able to get the PRTD processed in time? Did you head into London?
Hello Hope,
Was meaning to update everyone on what we ended up doing. VAC advice said PRTD may not get done in time and going there in person wouldn't have helped.
In the end, we ended up renouncing my wife's residency to get the eTA approved. We uploaded the form at 9pm at night and next day 6:30am we received email approval had been given.

We are here now in Vancouver so everything worked out. Like you Hope we don't think renouncing PR will be an issue but only time will tell.

Its been a busy few weeks leading up to this trip so now I am going to sit down and enjoy the weather.
Nice to be reminded what a beautiful landscape this country has.
I trust everything went fine with your travels to Toronto.
Thanks again to all of you who gave up your time to help!