Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Card.

Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Card.

Old Jul 16th 2019, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about
Default Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Card.

Hello,
Apologies if this has been answered already.
Returned to UK after having lived in Canada 5 years ago as Permanent Residents with no intentions of going back to live there.

Travelling to Canada in two weeks and just realised those with PR status can't apply for ETA to go to Canada.
We are attending a wedding but not sure what docs we need to complete in order to visit for 2 weeks.

I have read renouncing PR status before being allowed to apply for ETA can take months and applying for PermResident Travel Document won't work as we won't be eligible anymore for PResident status.

Can we still apply for Visitor Visa?
Not sure what options we have so any help appreciated.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Car

You can't apply for visitor visas as legally you are still a PR. I would suggest either renouncing PR status or flying to the USA and applying for their ESTA then crossing into Canada via private vehicle however this could lead to being reported and having a removal order issued. If reported they would let you in based on your PR status but then you would need to have your departure confirmed by CBSA on exiting Canada otherwise the departure order issued automatically turns into a deportation order if no departure confirmed before the 30 day timeframe once issued unless you appealed the removal order.

Your choice on how to proceed.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada after returning to UK but still have PR Status and no PR Car

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can't apply for visitor visas as legally you are still a PR. I would suggest either renouncing PR status or flying to the USA and applying for their ESTA then crossing into Canada via private vehicle however this could lead to being reported and having a removal order issued. If reported they would let you in based on your PR status but then you would need to have your departure confirmed by CBSA on exiting Canada otherwise the departure order issued automatically turns into a deportation order if no departure confirmed before the 30 day timeframe once issued unless you appealed the removal order.

Your choice on how to proceed.
If they are still PRs, why can’t they enter as PRs? I realise they have probably abandoned their status, so why can’t they use ETA?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 16th 2019 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 1:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I renounce my permanent resident status?
You only want to visit Canada and you know you have not met the residency obligations because you have been outside of Canada for a long period of time

and

You don’t want to wait for a visa officer to assess whether or not you are still a permanent resident of Canada; or
You would like to apply for a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA); or
You would like to avoid delays at the Port of Entry.

You no longer want to live in Canada permanently.
Guide 5781 – Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status
Old Jul 16th 2019, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If they are still PRs, why can’t they enter as PRs? I realise they have probably abandoned their status, so why can’t they use ETA?
Because a PR cannot apply for an eTA and must travel on a valid PR card or PRTD.

Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:

Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.
  • Important – former residents of Canada: Permanent resident (PR) status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have PR status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...eta/facts.html
Old Jul 16th 2019, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Because a PR cannot apply for an eTA and must travel on a valid PR card or PRTD.

Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:

Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.
  • Important – former residents of Canada: Permanent resident (PR) status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have PR status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...eta/facts.html
I understand that, so why can’t they enter as PRs?
Old Jul 16th 2019, 5:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I understand that, so why can’t they enter as PRs?
To repeat, they don't have a valid PR card so they can't get on a plane direct to Canada.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 12:24 am
Just Joined

avsha is an unknown quantity at this point

but they can try to get PRTD from the Canadian embassy. cost $50 for one entry.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avsha
but they can try to get PRTD from the Canadian embassy. cost $50 for one entry.
But their status has lapsed, so they're not eligible for a PRTD.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 1:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply online for an eTA and make an application to renounce PR at the same time.

Guide 5781 – Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status
If you are applying for an eTA , you will have the option of renouncing your PR status electronically. After you apply for an eTA, you will be provided with detailed instructions on how to renounce. Your renunciation in this context will be completed online through a secure account that you will need to create as part of the eTA application process. Instructions will be sent to you to explain how to do this.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your responses folks, very much appreciated.

Actually, the kids and I have Canadian passports already. I stayed on for a year in Canada after they all returned to the UK so applied and received citizenship then. Kids were all under 18 so gained citizenship under my name.
My wife is a teacher so couldn't take leave to return to Canada at short notice so never applied and we both assumed wouldn't be an issue for her to return for visits.

She always leaves the 'offical' stuff to me so she would never feel comfortable flying into US and then crossing by car on her own. Changing everyones travel arrangements would be a nightmare.
We applied for an eTA last night and I think she said no to the question asking whether she has ever applied for any permit. Didn't consider PR Applications as permits, and this wasn't given as an example of a permit either.
In hindsight I think we had yes to that and then completed in details after that we would have been given a choice to renounce PR status electronically.
We thought about rescinding the eTA application and then applying again using the other route but not sure how to rescind.
Has anyone applied for an eTA twice?

We have created an online account with GRC Key and have linked yesterdays application to the account. We also received email asking us to upload documentation. However, there is no such request when you log into the account.

So the email has asked us to upload info (and not specifiying what info) by creating an account but the actual account states no docs have been requested even though the eTA has been linked to the account we created.

Last edited by Dis-Illusionist; Jul 17th 2019 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist

Actually, the kids and I have Canadian passports already. I stayed on for a year in Canada after they all returned to the UK so applied and received citizenship then. Kids were all under 18 so gained citizenship under my name.
My wife is a teacher so couldn't take leave to return to Canada at short notice so never applied and we both assumed wouldn't be an issue for her to return for visits.

She always leaves the 'offical' stuff to me so she would never feel comfortable flying into US and then crossing by car on her own. Changing everyones travel arrangements would be a nightmare.
We applied for an eTA last night and I think she said no to the question asking whether she has ever applied for any permit. Didn't consider PR Applications as permits, and this wasn't given as an example of a permit either.
In hindsight I think we had yes to that and then completed in details after that we would have been given a choice to renounce PR status electronically.
We thought about rescinding the eTA application and then applying again using the other route but not sure how to rescind.
You didn't mention you were a Canadian Citizen! Have you lived together since you returned to the UK as a Canadian Citizen? If so then your wife may have met the requirements to retain PR status after all! PR's retain their PR status/residency (time served) when they are living abroad with a Canadian Citizen spouse.

She could possibly apply for a PRTD if you have.. read more here: Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?
Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?

It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:

You travel with a spouse or common-law partner
Your spouse or common-law partner needs to be:

a Canadian citizen, or
a permanent resident working outside Canada, full-time for:
a Canadian business, or
the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial governmen

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 18th 2019 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Yes, we are stil married and been living together since returning.
....ummm, maybe I should have mentioned that from the get go, plonker... : (

Now let me see what needs to be done to apply for a PRTD

.....and yes, the kids and I all have our Canadian passports so this is the first time we will officially be using them.

Last edited by Dis-Illusionist; Jul 17th 2019 at 2:23 am.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:21 am
Banned

Yes, we are stil married and been living together since returning.
....ummm, maybe I should have mentioned that from the get go, plonker... : (

Now let me see what needs to be done to apply for a PRTA
Thank goodness you mentioned it in the end though

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html
Old Jul 17th 2019, 3:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We have created an online account with GRC Key and have linked yesterdays application to the account. We also received email asking us to upload documentation. However, there is no such request when you log into the account.

So the email has asked us to upload info (and not specifiying what info) by creating an account but the actual account states no docs have been requested even though the eTA has been linked to the account we created.

You could collect her from a US airport if she is not comfortable driving across the border.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.