Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

New Calgarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am moving this thread to the Canada Immigration Forum.
Jerseygirl

Thanks for moving this thread to the Canada Immigration Forum. Hopefully, it might generate more up to date discussions on this topic.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
Drunkarchaeologist Thanks for sharing your experience.

So, you are a UK citizen living in the UK who has just submitted the Outland Spousal Sponsorship application. Instead of the work permit route, have you thought about going to Canada for six months with the eTA, and then extend that visitor status until you get the Permanent Residence? This is what I am planning to do in the next few months. The difference between you and me is that I am married to the Canadian citizen. And we got married in Canada. So, is there going to be any obstacles to my going to Canada?
Do you mean moving and then applying Inland? If so, that's a very risky move - see the link above about dual intent.

If you're prepared to take the risk of being refused entry (and not being able to appeal if PR is refused), then bear in mind if you have a Canadian wife then that is already going to give the border officer a reason to think you may try and stay, so make sure you take plenty of proof of ties and evidence of a planned return to the UK. Things like a job to return to, rental contract, etc. Whatever you do, don't sell things like your car or ship all your stuff with you, as that will make it pretty obvious you're trying to stay without the right visa! Take bank statements to show you have plenty of funds to support yourself without working, plus excellent medical insurance, and of course a return ticket.

I'm hoping that you mean you plan to apply 'outland' before you go, and then only go once you have sponsor approval, as per the Wiki article. Much less risk doing it that way, as dual intent is then allowed, so as long as you have the funds to support yourself, that's the best way to get there sooner.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 8th 2022 at 8:22 am.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you mean moving and then applying Inland? If so, that's a very risky move - see the link above about dual intent.

If you're prepared to take the risk of being refused entry (and not being able to appeal if PR is refused), then bear in mind if you have a Canadian wife then that is already going to give the border officer a reason to think you may try and stay, so make sure you take plenty of proof of ties and evidence of a planned return to the UK. Things like a job to return to, rental contract, etc. Whatever you do, don't sell things like your car or ship all your stuff with you, as that will make it pretty obvious you're trying to stay without the right visa! Take bank statements to show you have plenty of funds to support yourself without working, plus excellent medical insurance, and of course a return ticket.

I'm hoping that you mean you plan to apply 'outland' before you go, and then only go once you have sponsor approval, as per the Wiki article. Much less risk doing it that way, as dual intent is then allowed, so as long as you have the funds to support yourself, that's the best way to get there sooner.
christmasoompa
Your previous advice against the Inland application had a big influence on my decision to choose the Outland route. So, that was the suggestion I gave to Drunkarchaeologist .

My plan is to apply for the Outland Spousal Sponsorship before I go to Canada.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

christmasoompa

Is it possible to go and stay with my wife for six months or more while the Outland Spousal Sponsorship application is being processed? If we have the funds to support ourselves, could this be done? Anyone here who gained Permanent Residence through this route?
Old Jul 8th 2022, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
christmasoompa

Is it possible to go and stay with my wife for six months or more while the Outland Spousal Sponsorship application is being processed? If we have the funds to support ourselves, could this be done? Anyone here who gained Permanent Residence through this route?
christmaoompa knows better than I, but I would say it is possible. BUT…keep it under 6 mths and keep ties to the UK ie a home, bank account, job etc. If questioned by the CBSA officer when you try to enter, be very calm and polite, explain your situation and have proof (pics) of your visa application, UK address (mortgage etc), letter from your employer,etc. He may think you are trying to live in Canada with your Canadian wife.

During your stay, You may be able to extend your stay, but don’t count on it. If you go back to the UK, the rule of thumb is if you spent 5 mths in Canada…stay 5 mths out of Canada,. You may be allowed in prior to that but don’t count on it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 8th 2022 at 10:51 pm.