Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

Old Jun 27th 2022, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

New Calgarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

Hello!

I am a UK citizen who married a Canadian citizen last month. My wife is in Canada while I live and work in England. But, we want to live in one place. It seems too tough for my wife to immigrate to the UK. So, I am planning to give up everything in England and move to Canada. I love England. But, I love my wife more!

I hope to find the right advice, information and support as I plan to move to Canada.

This forum seems valuable. I thank you in advance for your help with my journey.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen Planning To Immigrate To Canada.

Hi, welcome to BE.

Not sure that it’s any easier doing a spouse visa to Canada than the UK tbh. Less of a financial requirement which is definitely a bonus, but it’ll also take a heck of a lot longer for you to get to Canada unfortunately.

I’m usually lurking around the Canada forums so I’ll no doubt see you there. If you haven’t found it already, we have an amazing Wiki with several articles about spousal sponsorship that will prove to be invaluable as you go through the process.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Not sure that it’s any easier doing a spouse visa to Canada than the UK tbh. Less of a financial requirement which is definitely a bonus, but it’ll also take a heck of a lot longer for you to get to Canada unfortunately.

I’m usually lurking around the Canada forums so I’ll no doubt see you there. If you haven’t found it already, we have an amazing Wiki with several articles about spousal sponsorship that will prove to be invaluable as you go through the process.

Best of luck.
Thanks for this welcome.

I do have one quick question. You wrote that "it'll also take a heck of a lot longer for you to get to Canada..." Is this really the case? You got me worried now!
I thought a UK citizen could just go to Canada tomorrow to be with his Canadian wife. Then, I just apply for the Inland Spousal Sponsorship and the Open Work Permit. As I wait for these forms to be processed, I get to live in one place with my wife. Although I won't be able to work to earn a living until I get the Open Work Permit, we don't have to lead separate lives. Would you say I won't be able to just move to Canada?

Old Jun 27th 2022, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
Thanks for this welcome.

I do have one quick question. You wrote that "it'll also take a heck of a lot longer for you to get to Canada..." Is this really the case? You got me worried now!
I thought a UK citizen could just go to Canada tomorrow to be with his Canadian wife. Then, I just apply for the Inland Spousal Sponsorship and the Open Work Permit. As I wait for these forms to be processed, I get to live in one place with my wife. Although I won't be able to work to earn a living until I get the Open Work Permit, we don't have to lead separate lives. Would you say I won't be able to just move to Canada?
Ah, no I’m afraid not. Bring married to a Canadian doesn’t mean you can bypass the visa requirements, just as your wife couldn’t move to the UK without a visa allowing her to do so. Inland applications are meant for those already in Canada i.e. those working or studying there.

Inland apps don’t benefit from dual intent, so whilst you could try entering as a visitor and then applying, it’s not something I would risk personally (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...ng_Dual_Intent). Plus you have no right to appeal if you apply inland and your application is refused (you do with outland apps).

But head to the immi section of the Canada forum, and the Wiki, for more info.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 27th 2022 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Ah, no I’m afraid not. Bring married to a Canadian doesn’t mean you can bypass the visa requirements, just as your wife couldn’t move to the UK without a visa allowing her to do so. Inland applications are meant for those already in Canada i.e. those working or studying there.

Inland apps don’t benefit from dual intent, so whilst you could try entering as a visitor and then applying, it’s not something I would risk personally. Plus you have no right to appeal if you apply inland and your application is refused (you do with outland apps).

Good luck.
Thanks for this helpful response.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Inland apps don’t benefit from dual intent, so whilst you could try entering as a visitor and then applying, it’s not something I would risk personally (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...ng_Dual_Intent). Plus you have no right to appeal if you apply inland and your application is refused (you do with outland apps).

Good luck.

christmasoompa During the past week, your advice against the Inland Spousal Sponsorship application has made me look at so many things differently. So, now I am researching a lot, especially using this forum's Wiki resources and past discussions.

I still have lots of questions regarding the Outland process. And if I an not able to find up to date information that is relevant to applicants in 2022, I would be posting questions here.

In the mean time, I would like to hear from anyone reading this post who had moved from the UK to Canada using the Outland process during the last two years.

Old Jul 6th 2022, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving this thread to the Canada Immigration Forum.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Drunkarchaeologist is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiancée is Canadian and we are due to be married next year in Canada. I have currently applied for a spousal sponsorship outside of Canada, which will allow me Permanent Residency in Canada. We submitted our forms at the start of April and they recieved them on the 5th of April and as of today (7th July) we have heard nothing whatsoever from them. There's a huge backlog at the minute with processing times of 23 months, I'm hoping mine won't take that long as my fiancée really misses home. I read the other day that they are setting up a taskforce to try and get through the backlog, but who knows how quick they'll get through it. Our plan is to give it till early next year and if there still isn't any progress then we'll explore other options to get me there whilst we wait. Hey even if I have to do a work permit to work on a farm picking fruit I'll consider it.

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Drunkarchaeologist
My fiancée is Canadian and we are due to be married next year in Canada. I have currently applied for a spousal sponsorship outside of Canada, which will allow me Permanent Residency in Canada. We submitted our forms at the start of April and they recieved them on the 5th of April and as of today (7th July) we have heard nothing whatsoever from them. There's a huge backlog at the minute with processing times of 23 months, I'm hoping mine won't take that long as my fiancée really misses home. I read the other day that they are setting up a taskforce to try and get through the backlog, but who knows how quick they'll get through it. Our plan is to give it till early next year and if there still isn't any progress then we'll explore other options to get me there whilst we wait. Hey even if I have to do a work permit to work on a farm picking fruit I'll consider it.

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Just factor in that the work permit route is likely to take 6 months (possibly longer, depending on how long it takes for you to find a job offer from an employer prepared to sponsor you). One possible option though, personal question I know but how old are you?
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
christmasoompa During the past week, your advice against the Inland Spousal Sponsorship application has made me look at so many things differently. So, now I am researching a lot, especially using this forum's Wiki resources and past discussions.

I still have lots of questions regarding the Outland process. And if I an not able to find up to date information that is relevant to applicants in 2022, I would be posting questions here.

In the mean time, I would like to hear from anyone reading this post who had moved from the UK to Canada using the Outland process during the last two years.
Sounds like a plan to me. Lots have applied via outland, that's how most do it, so hopefully a search will bring up lots of relevant info. And same question for you as to drunkarchaeologist - how old are you?
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Just factor in that the work permit route is likely to take 6 months (possibly longer, depending on how long it takes for you to find a job offer from an employer prepared to sponsor you). One possible option though, personal question I know but how old are you?
Oh right I'll keep that in mind, I'm 32

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh right I'll keep that in mind, I'm 32

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
OK. And I assume a UK citizen (no other citizenships)? Just thinking of the IEC visa which would potentially get you over there quicker, but need to be aged 30 or under for that if you're a UK citizen.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Yeah a UK citizen, yeah if only I'd met my fiancèe 2 years earlier
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah a UK citizen, yeah if only I'd met my fiancèe 2 years earlier
OK. I'd normally ask if there's an route to an Irish passport (age limit would then be 35, and people often have an Irish grandparent), but I believe Irish passports are taking about the same amount of time at the moment anyway so even if that were an option it wouldn't get you over there any quicker.

The only other suggestion would be a study permit if you by any chance wanted to do further studies. But that's really not a cheap route, so it will depend on if you have the financial means to do that.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Drunkarchaeologist Thanks for sharing your experience.

So, you are a UK citizen living in the UK who has just submitted the Outland Spousal Sponsorship application. Instead of the work permit route, have you thought about going to Canada for six months with the eTA, and then extend that visitor status until you get the Permanent Residence? This is what I am planning to do in the next few months. The difference between you and me is that I am married to the Canadian citizen. And we got married in Canada. So, is there going to be any obstacles to my going to Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.