TWP to PR

Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:44 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP to PR

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Hey - your TWP will start from the day you arrive here in Canada, so you have 2 years from that point. Then, apply for PR ASAP as soon as you have a fixed address etc. Just be careful. We are over here on a TWP (1 year) and by the time I got all the PR paperwork together, police checks/settled in a house etc etc it was April before I sent it all off. I got my AOR from Buffalo 3rd wk in June - a month later hubby's boss stitched us up and now we are frantically trying to get another job, lmo and WP! He too told us he would employ us indefinately, but the truth is, any employer wants to look after themselves and if they don't have the work, what can they do? Its been stressful and very upsetting. We are still unsure if we can even stay. Net result is that we have a PR application in, that may or may not be valid as we applied under arranged employment category for FSW.

It takes longer to do things from Canada, so just getting a police check takes a good month! If Canada is where you want to be, don't delay flower - get the paperwork in ASAP - you probably don't feel like it but look at the route that you could apply under, look at the guidance notes NOW and see if you need to get full birth certificates or anything like that before you leave. It'll save you loads of time and money!

Good luck to you all
Our LMO was valid from March 2009 - March 2011. We arrived in May 2009, therefor we lost 6weeks of our 2 years. My guess is that the OP has already lost 6months.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:56 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Our LMO was valid from March 2009 - March 2011. We arrived in May 2009, therefor we lost 6weeks of our 2 years. My guess is that the OP has already lost 6months.
Hmmm - curious - for us, we had an LMO which was issued in May 09, valid from June - we applied for our WP, got it 2 months later, we landed here on 22 Sept 09, our WP expires on 21 Sept 2010. Not sure you loose anything flower as it is based on when you land and have your WP issued and are therefore able to begin working.......Check your passport paperwork and see when your WP expires.....strange that we are different but then I suppose that is IO's for you! They are curious animals
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:29 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
For me, the TWP duration given by the IO was based on the start and finish dates on my LMO
Same here - IO only gave OH 1 year, as that was what was on the LMO. The job is still offered on a permanent basis, though. When you apply for PR your company need to confirm that the job is offered on an "indeterminate" basis, i.e. not a fixed term contract.
If you are offered a fixed term contract of 2 years and get the LMO on this basis, the IO would give you a 2 year TWP to match, would they?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The IO I had was concerned there was no duration on the Job Offer letter (not mentioning the LMO). I assured her 2 years had been verbally agreed upon and a 2 year TWP was handed to me. To me that suggests it's possible that you can get more than what it says on your LMO if you have a longer duration on the Job Offer and/or sweet talk to the IO
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:35 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Hmmm - curious - for us, we had an LMO which was issued in May 09, valid from June - we applied for our WP, got it 2 months later, we landed here on 22 Sept 09, our WP expires on 21 Sept 2010. Not sure you loose anything flower as it is based on when you land and have your WP issued and are therefore able to begin working.......Check your passport paperwork and see when your WP expires.....strange that we are different but then I suppose that is IO's for you! They are curious animals
Just checked W and it definately says, signed 16 May 2009, valid until 30March 2011.

IO must have been having a bad day at Pearson that day.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:47 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the TWP duration given by the IO was based on the start and finish dates on my LMO
That can be a problem, my employer offered me a permanent Job and asked for 3 Years (the maximum allowable on the LMO application). Service Canada reduced this to 1 year on the +ve LMO so my TWP was issued for 1 year.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:08 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
That can be a problem, my employer offered me a permanent Job and asked for 3 Years (the maximum allowable on the LMO application). Service Canada reduced this to 1 year on the +ve LMO so my TWP was issued for 1 year.
Was that recently? Maybe it is another example of Canadian hardening of attitude in immigration to prevent people from just dilly-dallying over whether they want to stay?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

StaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant future

We already had police checks for our TWP applications - do we need further checks when applying for PR? And if so, is there anything we can do in the next 2 weeks to expedite a PR application whilst we're still in the UK before we move over?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:32 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by StaceyUK
We already had police checks for our TWP applications - do we need further checks when applying for PR? And if so, is there anything we can do in the next 2 weeks to expedite a PR application whilst we're still in the UK before we move over?
PR now does not require you to send the Police checks initially with all the rest of the documents, so it is likely yours will have run out anyway by the time your PR asks for them. Police checks expire after 3 months.
My OH needed a copy of his LMO and TWP plus a letter confirming permanent employment from his employer to put in his PR application Cat 2, so he couldn't do this until he landed in Canada as he got his TWP at POE.
Will this apply to you, too?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

OH got a 3 year LMO but only a 1 year TWP as they want to review it after a year etc. Moved April this year and I guess it just all got bit harder and it depends on the person that deals with your TWP, too.
Applied for Ontario PNP now. All looking good so far, fingers crossed
Then apply for PR asap.....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:26 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
OH got a 3 year LMO but only a 1 year TWP as they want to review it after a year etc. Moved April this year and I guess it just all got bit harder and it depends on the person that deals with your TWP, too.
Applied for Ontario PNP now. All looking good so far, fingers crossed
Then apply for PR asap.....
I have just started a thread on the recently announced changes to the TWP situation due to come into force next April. In my experience, it seems CIC pre-empt actual changes by getting tougher under the current regs! This has been true with PR Cat 1, at least.
I wondered why my OH only got 1 year on his TWP when other people were getting 2 or 3 years, but now I think it is just the way it is going. 1 year seems to be the default, so that you have to reapply if you want to stay and so you will have to have another LMO or be in PR processing or whatever to justify why you should stay.
As a poster on that thread has said, it is putting the 'Temporary' back into TWP.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all

My plan was to get a twp for 2-3 years and then apply through the CEC route once the two years lapsed.

CEC Route?

What's this?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Experience Class.

If you've been working or studying in Canada for 2 years you can apply under this scheme.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:56 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Was that recently? Maybe it is another example of Canadian hardening of attitude in immigration to prevent people from just dilly-dallying over whether they want to stay?
It was in August 2009. I applied for Sask PNP and got it, I then applied for the TWP renewal (august 2010) with the SINP nomination (no need for LMO when you have that). I asked for 3 years on the TWP, they gave me two. I submitted the PR forms this weekend.

Last edited by JGK; Sep 9th 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have just started a thread on the recently announced changes to the TWP situation due to come into force next April. In my experience, it seems CIC pre-empt actual changes by getting tougher under the current regs! This has been true with PR Cat 1, at least.
I wondered why my OH only got 1 year on his TWP when other people were getting 2 or 3 years, but now I think it is just the way it is going. 1 year seems to be the default, so that you have to reapply if you want to stay and so you will have to have another LMO or be in PR processing or whatever to justify why you should stay.
As a poster on that thread has said, it is putting the 'Temporary' back into TWP.
OH rang CIC and asked why he had a 3 year LMO and only 1 year TWP and they said they want employer to readvertise and review payslips and labour market conditions. Guess PNP is the safer option for us, so we won't need a new LMO and can apply for PR and actually stay and work till we know bout PR.
Guess it's right what the poster said to put the "Temporary" back into TWP.