TWP to PR

Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

StaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant futureStaceyUK has a brilliant future
Default TWP to PR

So we're heading to Toronto on a 2 yr TWP (though 6 months will have lapsed as we got our passports done in May when we did our recce but only moving over in a couple of weeks).

Question is - how soon can we apply for PR and if you are over there and working for a company who is willing to keep you on permanently will this help your PR case?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TWP to PR

Originally Posted by StaceyUK
So we're heading to Toronto on a 2 yr TWP (though 6 months will have lapsed as we got our passports done in May when we did our recce but only moving over in a couple of weeks).

Question is - how soon can we apply for PR and if you are over there and working for a company who is willing to keep you on permanently will this help your PR case?
apply for PR ASAP!

the job will only help your case by the way of additional points

good luck !
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
apply for PR ASAP!

the job will only help your case by the way of additional points

good luck !
Really? Please elaborate. I'm curious. My plan was to get a twp for 2-3 years and then apply through the CEC route once the two years lapsed.

But why should one apply ASAP on a TWP? If there is a good reason for it I'm all for it.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Really? Please elaborate. I'm curious. My plan was to get a twp for 2-3 years and then apply through the CEC route once the two years lapsed.

But why should one apply ASAP on a TWP? If there is a good reason for it I'm all for it.
CEC is only available for ppl with 2+ years in Canada

What happens if you are denied a renewal of your TWP ?

Applying for PR ASAP means you do not run the risk of being unable to work whilst going the process of PR
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

also it's not YOUR decision on how many years TWP you get
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

also it's not YOUR decision on how many years TWP you get
No, I know that. It's up to the customs officer.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

CEC is only available for ppl with 2+ years in Canada
Yes, I know that.

What happens if you are denied a renewal of your TWP ?
And what if given 3 at start?

Applying for PR ASAP means you do not run the risk of being unable to work whilst going the process of PR
Ok. You lost me on that one.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

if you get a 2 yr TWP and apply for PR after the 2 year work permit is up, and you dont get an extension to the TWP, you wont be able to work until you get PR.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:18 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is, if you're eligible, apply for the Ontario PNP, if you get that then apply for PR your employer doesn't have get a further LMO for you to extend the TWP while you are waiting for PR.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:03 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I've read on here before that an initial twp of 3 years is highly unlikely...
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, I know it's been a while since I was on here and things have changed as to immigration regulations and routes but I'm not completely new (with 1800+ posts and almost all of them on the Canada forum, that should say something). But I do remember people quite easily getting 3 year TWP at POE when they turned up with their LMOs.

However, I can understand that now with all the new regulations and classes on how to immigrate, I can see why they would be a bit restrictive on the length of TWP issued.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

For me, the TWP duration given by the IO was based on the start and finish dates on my LMO
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason is that on a TWP you're tied to that one employer - so if you hate working for them, or are made redundant (as we've seen happen many, many times on this forum) then you're scuppered. Having PR would give you a lot more security, and I honestly can't think of any reason why somebody would want to wait 3 years for PR if they can obtain it much sooner.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:16 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - your TWP will start from the day you arrive here in Canada, so you have 2 years from that point. Then, apply for PR ASAP as soon as you have a fixed address etc. Just be careful. We are over here on a TWP (1 year) and by the time I got all the PR paperwork together, police checks/settled in a house etc etc it was April before I sent it all off. I got my AOR from Buffalo 3rd wk in June - a month later hubby's boss stitched us up and now we are frantically trying to get another job, lmo and WP! He too told us he would employ us indefinately, but the truth is, any employer wants to look after themselves and if they don't have the work, what can they do? Its been stressful and very upsetting. We are still unsure if we can even stay. Net result is that we have a PR application in, that may or may not be valid as we applied under arranged employment category for FSW.

It takes longer to do things from Canada, so just getting a police check takes a good month! If Canada is where you want to be, don't delay flower - get the paperwork in ASAP - you probably don't feel like it but look at the route that you could apply under, look at the guidance notes NOW and see if you need to get full birth certificates or anything like that before you leave. It'll save you loads of time and money!

Good luck to you all
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

For me, the TWP duration given by the IO was based on the start and finish dates on my LMO
Yes, that is what I've heard from others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.