Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Wikiposts

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Bemsee
I feel for you. There seems to be no order, rhyme or reason to the order in which the applications are processed. From what I have seen from other BE members, even the ECAS is not that reliable either. I realise that they are exceptionally busy and they are dealing with application from more than one country, but, it doesn't help, although I do sympathise. I just want mine now LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL

I think, Divvym1, that you will probably be ok, especially if you look at the spreadsheet for a comparison. I fell into the time when Istanbul backlog was sent to London, along with that Christmas and January have influenced mine too. Afterwards most straightforward applications were kept in Canada and they seem to be flying. I suppose the mind set should be "It'll happen, its just when"

Ok, shall sulk just a bit, then go in the corner and stamp my feet and tear up paper LOL
Lol Word!! Yea, Mississauga apps are flying which is awesome but ottawa is slow now unfortunately that's where mine is.

I honestly don't know what I would do without the spreadsheet. It's like a piece of mind and wee security blanket haa
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
I'm sulking too... sitting here on a visitor visa, unable to work, no-one willing to employ a foreign worker. Seriously stressed out and fed up! Six months so a way to go yet I figure
How can you work anyway on a visitors visa? How long is your visa for 6 months presuming your from the uk lol
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Bemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond reputeBemsee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Divvym1
I honestly don't know what I would do without the spreadsheet. It's like a piece of mind and wee security blanket haa
I am with you on that. The BE site and spreadsheet are the only things keeping me sane !
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

garethr1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
Spreadsheet updated.

Back when you applied you could have specified Mississauga as the office you would like to process stage 2 of your application, but the decision is ultimately down to the CIC and they would choose a visa office based on your citizenship, where you are currently residing and the backlog, if any, of your intended visa office.

However the option to specify a visa office has been removed from the application form as it is standard practice for CIC to send applications anywhere they see fit. A lot of applications which would have previously gone to London are now staying in Mississauga or going to Ottawa, however some are still sneaking through to London.

You cannot reapply and put Mississauga down as the visa office you want. You have to wait it out.
I am currently waiting on our marriage certificate before I submit my application. How do we specify that we wish to have it processed in Mississauga? Do we have to write a separate letter? I do not see it anywhere on the forms and it was my understanding this was removed from the forms a few years ago
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:20 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

How can you work anyway on a visitors visa? How long is your visa for 6 months presuming your from the uk lol
I can't work on a visitor visa, you are right. I have been trying to get a job so I could get a work permit supported by a LMIA but no one wants foreign workers, the process is too hard. Lots of great offers, but they back off once they investigate the hoops they have to jump through. Oh well.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethr1989
I am currently waiting on our marriage certificate before I submit my application. How do we specify that we wish to have it processed in Mississauga? Do we have to write a separate letter? I do not see it anywhere on the forms and it was my understanding this was removed from the forms a few years ago
You cannot specify a certain visa office. As I stated in the post of mine you quoted, CIC decides where to send your application for stage 2 processing. If you are a U.K. citizen then it is will probably be London, Mississauga or Ottawa.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I can't work on a visitor visa, you are right. I have been trying to get a job so I could get a work permit supported by a LMIA but no one wants foreign workers, the process is too hard. Lots of great offers, but they back off once they investigate the hoops they have to jump through. Oh well.
Ahh Ok, yea that must be extremely difficult. This new job if I get past final interview I may inquire about LMIA but honestly probably more hassle than its worth. Good luck
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:25 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh Ok, yea that must be extremely difficult. This new job if I get past final interview I may inquire about LMIA but honestly probably more hassle than its worth. Good luck
You too!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

garethr1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
You cannot specify a certain visa office. As I stated in the post of mine you quoted, CIC decides where to send your application for stage 2 processing. If you are a U.K. citizen then it is will probably be London, Mississauga or Ottawa.
OK yeah I thought that was the case. I think I may have misread your earlier post that gave me the impression that, although CIC would ultimately decide, that it would be worth sending something to ask if it could be processed in Mississauga
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:45 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The "rhyme or reason" statement is a little annoying since the system is very well worked out but must respond to many more demands than resources provided by financial authorities can possibly meet. Annually the immigration minister announces the intended level of immigration for the coming year and that level sets the resources. Many many more applications are received in many categories beside spousal sponsorship so the offices are overworked. The transfer of applications from Islamabad to London and the creation of a processing centre in Mississauga and Ottawa are management's attempts to ease those pressures. The fact remains that some 80% of spousal applications are processed to completion within well less that a year.

Originally Posted by Bemsee
I feel for you. There seems to be no order, rhyme or reason to the order in which the applications are processed. From what I have seen from other BE members, even the ECAS is not that reliable either. I realise that they are exceptionally busy and they are dealing with application from more than one country, but, it doesn't help, although I do sympathise. I just want mine now LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL

I think, Divvym1, that you will probably be ok, especially if you look at the spreadsheet for a comparison. I fell into the time when Istanbul backlog was sent to London, along with that Christmas and January have influenced mine too. Afterwards most straightforward applications were kept in Canada and they seem to be flying. I suppose the mind set should be "It'll happen, its just when"

Ok, shall sulk just a bit, then go in the corner and stamp my feet and tear up paper LOL
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:48 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardftw
Thanks for the reply, feel kinda sick I didn't know of that. God I hope this gets sorted quick and it's not drawn out.

Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

I take it there is no way to speed up this process so It is done before my current Work Visa expires? Seems like a pointless question but can't help myself.

Thanks
Richard
You applied in September. Your application has gone to London. The average processing time for London is about 7-8 months, according to 2014 applications that have been approved. That means you should expect something through in April or thereabouts. You may be faster, you may be slower. There's nothing you can do to "speed up" the process at this point.

I'm with you on that one and I've only been 5 months. If I'm being honest deep down I'm already resigned to the fact that I won't have it before mid may.... I'm at the final stage interview for a really sweet job and looks like I will have too pass on the opportunity
You are in the same boat as Richard above. You applied two weeks prior, and your application has gone to Ottawa, which is averaging about 6 months. I'd say March-April is realistic based on averages, but yours may be faster, or it may be slower. Whether or not the guys interviewing you for the job are willing to wait is something you'll have to ask them.

I'm sulking too... sitting here on a visitor visa, unable to work, no-one willing to employ a foreign worker. Seriously stressed out and fed up! Six months so a way to go yet I figure
You applied in July, your application went to London. Another 1-2 months is probably a realistic expectation. At least you are able to wait in Canada with your family. Others, particularly those from non-visa exempt countries, are rarely granted visitor visas if they have an application in process, so they have to wait out the whole process separately. As Jim said in his post which I have quoted below, spousal applications are processed within one year, and at that time you are granted PR with no real restrictions. So while the waiting may be frustrating, complaining about it isn't that helpful. There are those who have applied under other streams who wait YEARS to get PR. Plus you have the option of staying in the UK to work if you must have an income.

I don't mean to sound negative, but Canada isn't going to process applications within weeks just willy-nilly, and in comparison to a lot of other countries, Canada's process for granting non-Canadian spouses PR is pretty straight forward and easy. I know that the UK and certainly the US make it significantly tougher to get your other half right to work.

Sorry again if this sounds negative, and I don't mean it to you personally, I'm just grumpy of consistently reading about people who whine about having to wait 7-8 months for *FULL PR* to come through, when others are waiting significantly longer. (Want to sponsor your parents for PR? That takes ten years! That's right, TEN!)

Originally Posted by garethr1989
As others have said, you don't specify an office. CIC will decide where to send your application. Previously, applications were going directly to London. Then when London started processing applications from Islamabad, CIC started redirecting applications to Mississauga or Ottawa to ease the workload. You cannot specify which office you want to process your application, CIC will decide using whatever their magic formula is, which none of us know.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The "rhyme or reason" statement is a little annoying since the system is very well worked out but must respond to many more demands than resources provided by financial authorities can possibly meet. Annually the immigration minister announces the intended level of immigration for the coming year and that level sets the resources. Many many more applications are received in many categories beside spousal sponsorship so the offices are overworked. The transfer of applications from Islamabad to London and the creation of a processing centre in Mississauga and Ottawa are management's attempts to ease those pressures. The fact remains that some 80% of spousal applications are processed to completion within well less that a year.
+1. Well put.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:09 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware that I have a longer wait ahead of me, and I'm not complaining, honestly. I'm very grateful that I have this opportunity. I was just participating in sharing the burden of stress that this process puts you under. I understand that I can't go home and work as I'd risk breaking our common law status, and we didn't want to get married (although that is in our future plans) for immigration purposes. I went into this process knowing that was the case, so yes, I shouldnt complain as I put myself in this situation. Sorry for any offence caused.
Again it wasn't directed at you... occasionally I just get grumpy after reading a load of posts about the same thing and it can get quite frustrating. The fact that Canada even recognizes common-law is also something to be thankful for - most places, including the UK, don't have such a category.

Glad you find the community helpful, it is of course always helpful to have people in the same boat.

Again, wasn't directed at you personally, was just venting after reading so many posts along the same lines!

Hopefully you don't have much more of a wait ahead of you!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:13 am
BE addict

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Again it wasn't directed at you... occasionally I just get grumpy after reading a load of posts about the same thing and it can get quite frustrating. The fact that Canada even recognizes common-law is also something to be thankful for - most places, including the UK, don't have such a category.

Glad you find the community helpful, it is of course always helpful to have people in the same boat.

Again, wasn't directed at you personally, was just venting after reading so many posts along the same lines!

Hopefully you don't have much more of a wait ahead of you!
Thank you, and a huge thanks to you and everyone else who maintains this forum, it truly is a lifeline

You have a full time job moderating on here, I couldn't do it!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:17 am
Concierge

Thank you, and a huge thanks to you and everyone else who maintains this forum, it truly is a lifeline

Haha I don't moderate at all, I just use it as a wonderful procrastination tool while at work!

It's become a bit of a hobby for me since Husband and I applied back in 2012... the forum was super helpful, so for awhile afterwards it was more a question of just 'paying it forward', but then I found I actually rather enjoyed it!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Amen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.