Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by weegie
Just wanted to provide a final update.

As if this process wasn't stressful enough - my wife accidentally disposed of my COPR the morning after I had received it in the mail. No this wasn't a nightmare I had - this actually happened.

I had sent a letter sized Canada xpresspost return envelope and in transit it had been folded in half and looked pretty disastrous (a half sized would be preferable) and, well mistakes happen!

- The general immigration help line offered no help.
- Getting through to either Ottawa or Mississauga case processing centres by phone was impossible and I gave up and turned directly to email.
- I contacted Mississauga ([email protected]) who did not respond.
- I contacted the email account that Mississauga uses to send out information ([email protected]) who actually responded saying that had forwarded my email on to Ottawa.

The Ottawa CPC ([email protected]) responded 13 days later advising me to resend my 2 photos and photocopy of passport in order to cancel my initial COPR and issue a new one.

Coincidentally after one week of receiving no response I had sent just that with a letter explaining the situation. It had arrived in Ottawa (the PO box) the day before I received the email and much to my surprise when I emailed back to let them know - I received a response within one hour saying my package had been located - that the COPR was re-issued and that it had been sent to me!!

This was last Thursday - I received the replacement COPR on Monday morning and I am very very relieved to say that after a trip to Buffalo I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada!

Other information:
-I landed in Canada through Rainbow Bridge - it was a quiet Monday around 3.30pm when I arrived and it took them 2 entire hours to so much as look at my passport. Do not recommend!
-I had also filled out and sent a replacement document form to Ottawa with a letter explaining the situation. Although I had specifically selected 'replacement' and not VOS I actually received a Verification of Status on Tuesday saying that I am a Permanent Resident.

Although I am hoping no one else makes this mistake - if it happens please stay calm and rest assured that Ottawa CPC are pretty great!!!

Finally I want to thank everyone so much for the kind words and support. You guys are honestly fantastic! The reassurance I received when I came here after the disaster happened genuinely was outstanding - SchnookoLoly I think you are the reason I didn't have a genuine panic attack.
Glad to hear it's all done and dusted. Congrats again
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:29 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

As if this process wasn't stressful enough - my wife accidentally disposed of my COPR the morning after I had received it in the mail. No this wasn't a nightmare I had - this actually happened.

I had sent a letter sized Canada xpresspost return envelope and in transit it had been folded in half and looked pretty disastrous (a half sized would be preferable) and, well mistakes happen!

- Getting through to either Ottawa or Mississauga case processing centres by phone was impossible and I gave up and turned directly to email.
- I contacted the email account that Mississauga uses to send out information ([email protected]) who actually responded saying that had forwarded my email on to Ottawa.

The Ottawa CPC ([email protected]) responded 13 days later advising me to resend my 2 photos and photocopy of passport in order to cancel my initial COPR and issue a new one.

Coincidentally after one week of receiving no response I had sent just that with a letter explaining the situation. It had arrived in Ottawa (the PO box) the day before I received the email and much to my surprise when I emailed back to let them know - I received a response within one hour saying my package had been located - that the COPR was re-issued and that it had been sent to me!!

This was last Thursday - I received the replacement COPR on Monday morning and I am very very relieved to say that after a trip to Buffalo I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada!

Other information:
-I landed in Canada through Rainbow Bridge - it was a quiet Monday around 3.30pm when I arrived and it took them 2 entire hours to so much as look at my passport. Do not recommend!
-I had also filled out and sent a replacement document form to Ottawa with a letter explaining the situation. Although I had specifically selected 'replacement' and not VOS I actually received a Verification of Status on Tuesday saying that I am a Permanent Resident.

Although I am hoping no one else makes this mistake - if it happens please stay calm and rest assured that Ottawa CPC are pretty great!!!

Finally I want to thank everyone so much for the kind words and support. You guys are honestly fantastic! The reassurance I received when I came here after the disaster happened genuinely was outstanding - SchnookoLoly I think you are the reason I didn't have a genuine panic attack.
Now to hold this incident over your wife for eternity....
Old Dec 12th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Other information:

Updated the spreadsheet (notes) for you. Glad you got it sorted!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

justin86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey just wanted to let you know my copr arrived today to update the spreadsheet. Took 2 and a half weeks roughly which honestly felt like an eternity!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:21 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justin86
Hey just wanted to let you know my copr arrived today to update the spreadsheet. Took 2 and a half weeks roughly which honestly felt like an eternity!
Congrats!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justin86
Spreadsheet updated.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question about police certificates. I'm getting married in 4 1/2 weeks to my Canadian SO, and the plan is for me to enter Canada as a visitor while we get the permanent residency application sorted out - we have had enough of living apart!

Can I use a police certificate that is in my maiden name even if I am applying under my new married name? I'd like to get one before I leave the UK if possible, and I don't think I'll have enough proof of residency evidence in my new name before I plan to leave.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
Just a quick question about police certificates. I'm getting married in 4 1/2 weeks to my Canadian SO, and the plan is for me to enter Canada as a visitor while we get the permanent residency application sorted out - we have had enough of living apart!

Can I use a police certificate that is in my maiden name even if I am applying under my new married name? I'd like to get one before I leave the UK if possible, and I don't think I'll have enough proof of residency evidence in my new name before I plan to leave.
Congrats in advance!

I don't see why you couldn't get a police cert in your maiden name tbh, as long as you can document the name change it should be fine.

Do just be aware that if you want to enter Canada under the 'dual intent' rules, you do need to have an application for PR in progress in order to stay whilst it's being processed (ideally once your sponsor has been approved is the general advice on the forum) . If you entered before you had applied then you do run the risk of being refused entry, as the CBSA officer may not believe you're a genuine visitor that will return to the UK.

HTH, good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Congrats in advance!

I don't see why you couldn't get a police cert in your maiden name tbh, as long as you can document the name change it should be fine.

Do just be aware that if you want to enter Canada under the 'dual intent' rules, you do need to have an application for PR in progress in order to stay whilst it's being processed (ideally once your sponsor has been approved is the general advice on the forum) . If you entered before you had applied then you do run the risk of being refused entry, as the CBSA officer may not believe you're a genuine visitor that will return to the UK.

HTH, good luck.
Would it help that I will only be staying for 4 months max? I am currently in my final year studying with the Open University and there are exams that I HAVE to return to the UK for in June next year. I'm looking to fly out in the first week of February and I'll have a return ticket bringing me back to the UK in late May. I also have an excellent track record of never overstaying on any of my visas (1 study permit, 2x IEC and lots of visitor entries), if that would help at all.

We understand that there is a risk that I'll get turned away, but we've been apart for the last 13 months and just want to be in the same country again!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would it help that I will only be staying for 4 months max? I am currently in my final year studying with the Open University and there are exams that I HAVE to return to the UK for in June next year. I'm looking to fly out in the first week of February and I'll have a return ticket bringing me back to the UK in late May. I also have an excellent track record of never overstaying on any of my visas (1 study permit, 2x IEC and lots of visitor entries), if that would help at all.

We understand that there is a risk that I'll get turned away, but we've been apart for the last 13 months and just want to be in the same country again!
I highly doubt you will have any problems if married to a Canadian as it is your intention to return to the UK in approx 4 months. Don't overthink this. Police certificates being submitted cannot be over 3 months old. As long as CIC believe that the certificate submitted in either the maiden name or proof of marriage supplied i can't see them asking for one in both names.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I highly doubt you will have any problems if married to a Canadian as it is your intention to return to the UK in approx 4 months. Don't overthink this. Police certificates being submitted cannot be over 3 months old. As long as CIC believe that the certificate submitted in either the maiden name or proof of marriage supplied i can't see them asking for one in both names.
I'm trying not to overthink it but there is always the niggling "what if" in the back of my mind

If all goes to plan we're getting married Jan 13th in Iceland, I'll have sent off my police certificate app just before then so it should arrive just before I'll be flying out in early Feb. Most of the PR application forms are already filled in, will just be a case of slotting in the proof of marriage and the medical exam info (which I'm waiting until I'm in Canada to get done as its literally a quarter of the price of an exam at the nearest practitioner to me in the UK!), so they should be sent late Feb/early March at the latest. If current times are anything to go by we should have sponsor approval by the time I want to return as a visitor again in mid-late June.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you ended up getting it all sorted! Frustrating that it took a bt of time to work out who the right person was to email, but as you were told, these things happen - people lose COPR, you for sure aren't the first. So they were able to reissue it with no problems, just a bit of a delay and some stress, but it all got sorted out in the end. Hopefully your wife hasn't beat herself up too much over a mistake (sh*t happens!), and in the end you were able to get it replaced, and I'm glad your landing went smoothly, albeit a bit slow!! All done and dusted... welcome, eh!

I'm trying not to overthink it but there is always the niggling "what if" in the back of my mind

If all goes to plan we're getting married Jan 13th in Iceland, I'll have sent off my police certificate app just before then so it should arrive just before I'll be flying out in early Feb. Most of the PR application forms are already filled in, will just be a case of slotting in the proof of marriage and the medical exam info (which I'm waiting until I'm in Canada to get done as its literally a quarter of the price of an exam at the nearest practitioner to me in the UK!), so they should be sent late Feb/early March at the latest. If current times are anything to go by we should have sponsor approval by the time I want to return as a visitor again in mid-late June.
As others have said, you should be just fine, don't overthink it. When you land in Canada, say you are staying for 4 months, and have your return ticket ready, and have proof of funds to support yourself during your stay. They might ask if you are looking to stay permanently, at which point you can say eventually, yes, but not yet. You have just gotten married and are in the process of preparing your application for sponsorship, though you haven't applied yet, but will be applying while you are in Canada, and you have to return to the UK in 4 months anyway for your exams, so your plan is to stay for 4 months, return to the UK, write the exams, then re-enter Canada afterwards under dual intent since at that point your application will be filed. Just be honest and you should be just fine.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

yaris6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update for spreadsheet. COPR arrived today. I will be heading to the border to activate this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help and good luck to all those who are still waiting hopefully some more good news for people before Christmas.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yaris6
Update for spreadsheet. COPR arrived today. I will be heading to the border to activate this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help and good luck to all those who are still waiting hopefully some more good news for people before Christmas.
Wow 6 days is pretty fast, do you know if it came from London or was it CPC-M or CPC-O? Spreadsheet updated.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

yaris6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it came from London office stamped, addressed from them and was sent international recorded delivery. I was surprised to find it delivered but it has took a lot of stress away so I can finally go back to work as it has been a tough 8 months lol. There was also no request for photos or passport.

Last edited by yaris6; Dec 12th 2014 at 11:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.