Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by andriasanders
I just mean 2 pieces of the entire app. For example IMM 5529 and IMM2990
I'm so confused.

Neither IMM5529 nor IMM2990 are part of the family class documents - Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class

IMM5529 is the form to apply for a travel document for a permanent resident abroad (Guide 5529 - Applying for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad)).... and I can't find IMM2990 anywhere.

So I have no idea what you're talking about...
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

andriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andriasanders
Forget it
Well, no, I'm genuinely curious, these sorts of things can help other posters, I just can't figure out what forms you're talking about, or what you'd have to provide two copies of!
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

andriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond reputeandriasanders has a reputation beyond repute

Those were not the exact IMM ????'s that were lost. But we had two parts of the main app, I guess they are called forms, but I saw them as each individual applications. Separate from one another.
It was the application were the principal applicant had to write all the organisations they belong to and our dependent application.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:41 pm
Concierge

Yes, the whole application is in two parts, the forms for the sponsor, and the forms for the sponsored person. Did you not send both parts together?
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:27 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Yes they do, or at least I got an email confirming receipt of my application.

Hey... How long was it from when you sent off your Application to receiving confirmation they had got it?

I tracked my Application on Canada Post and it was delivered the next day so it got to the address
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:33 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snuggs
Hey... How long was it from when you sent off your Application to receiving confirmation they had got it?

I tracked my Application on Canada Post and it was delivered the next day so it got to the address
I Fedexd mine, took 3 weeks for me to get the email
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 6:31 am
Just Joined

We sent everything together in the size envelope they recommend. We send it the most expensive route from UK to Mississauga and it arrived the next day. Tracked and signed.
This is what is said online:

We received your application to sponsor <snipped> on June 21, 2013.

We sent you a letter on July 19, 2013 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We had an email telling us that stage 1 was complete and our principal application will be sent to London, England to be processed.

Today, CIC says Stage 1 is taking approx 53 days; whereas, in June 2013, it was only approx 31 days.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 3rd 2014 at 7:09 am. Reason: Removed personal information - not a good idea to post it in a public forum! :)
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:52 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute
Smile re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by snuggs

I didn't ever get confirmation they got my application. First I heard was when my sponsor was approved. I can log on to ECAS to check the (lack of) progress, but still never received a confirmation of receipt email or letter. Don't worry if you don't hear anything until sponsor approval.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:41 am
Just Joined

spunkymich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Apologies to all who may have already answered this question, but all the threads that I've read so far, tend to be geared to those entering from the US.

Could someone please point me in the direction of the correct post/website that will give me more information on visiting Canada, and activating Permanent Residency prior to officially moving? The CIC site isn't very clear, and doesn't provide this information (either that or I'm looking at the wrong info).

Or if you're kind enough to have mercy on me, answer the below questions or send me the correct thread for posting in....

Here is what the plan is:
We must enter by March. We aren't ready to move yet, but we are lucky to be visiting Canada for a week over Christmas. So my questions are as follows...

1. Am I able to enter with my COPR in a few weeks to activate my PR status and then return to the UK to get my affairs in order. This being without a "goods list" as we don't have this yet. Get my PR card sent to a relative and then return in a few months?

2. If I am able to do the above, do I have to get my PR card shipped to the UK in order for me to enter again when officially moving, or can I again enter with just my COPR with my "goods" lists? i.e do I have to enter using a PR card

3. Would it be better/possible for me to just visit Canada and not show my COPR, and enter and leave as I normally would have in the past with my UK passport and then activate PR by the deadline?

We just thought as we will be visiting anyway, it would be worth getting the PR status moving so that it will be ready for me when we officially land.

Your thoughts and help with this matter will be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks again
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by spunkymich
Hi all

Apologies to all who may have already answered this question, but all the threads that I've read so far, tend to be geared to those entering from the US.

Could someone please point me in the direction of the correct post/website that will give me more information on visiting Canada, and activating Permanent Residency prior to officially moving? The CIC site isn't very clear, and doesn't provide this information (either that or I'm looking at the wrong info).

Or if you're kind enough to have mercy on me, answer the below questions or send me the correct thread for posting in....
First, the wiki has a lot of this information, always be sure to check the wiki first! This article should be of great help: Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Here is what the plan is:
We must enter by March. We aren't ready to move yet, but we are lucky to be visiting Canada for a week over Christmas. So my questions are as follows...

1. Am I able to enter with my COPR in a few weeks to activate my PR status and then return to the UK to get my affairs in order. This being without a "goods list" as we don't have this yet. Get my PR card sent to a relative and then return in a few months?
Yes. Bring your COPR with you, and you can do your landing then. Tell them that you are activating your PR, but you are not taking up residency yet. You SHOULDN'T need your Goods list at this point, but I would bring it just in case you are asked for it. Most people are not asked for it, but a handful have been. So have it with you just in case, but you shouldn't need it just yet. Provide your relative's address for your PR card. It usually takes 8-10 weeks. If you can have your relative forward it to you by registered, secured mail then do that. Do not send it by regular post. Treat it as you would a passport.

2. If I am able to do the above, do I have to get my PR card shipped to the UK in order for me to enter again when officially moving, or can I again enter with just my COPR with my "goods" lists? i.e do I have to enter using a PR card
Canada won't require your PR card, they will be able to see from their systems that you are a PR. Where you might need your PR card is for the airline. When my husband did his whole schtick, he did his activation in December 2012, we visited in June 2013 (he said he was a PR but was not landing yet), and then he moved permanently on a one-way flight in September 2013.

So his landing in Dec2012 was pretty straight forward. We had the PR card sent to my parents. We opted not to have them forward it to us in the UK, just in case.

In June 2013, we booked a return flight, so the airline did not ask for my husband's PR card. The border agent did, though. However my husband just said that the card had been sent to my in-laws, they have it, and had it with them in Arrivals (which was true, we told my parents to bring it just in case). The agent said it was fine, she could see he was a PR, and my husband had his COPR documents as well.

In September 2013 when he flew over on his one-way flight, the airline DID ask to see the PR card - they needed assurance he would be let into Canada as a non-Canadian. He was allowed on the flight after he produced the PR card.

So if you will be able to pick up your PR card between when your relative receives it and when you move, then don't risk putting it through the post. If you are going to move on a one-way flight, though, then arrange to have it sent to you.

3. Would it be better/possible for me to just visit Canada and not show my COPR, and enter and leave as I normally would have in the past with my UK passport and then activate PR by the deadline?
Technically yes, it's completely up to you, but you run the risk of life getting int he way and you missing the deadline to activate your PR. If you are certain you can make a trip over before COPR expires then that is your call, but that's a risk you take.

We just thought as we will be visiting anyway, it would be worth getting the PR status moving so that it will be ready for me when we officially land.

Your thoughts and help with this matter will be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks again
Hope that helps.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

spunkymich is an unknown quantity at this point

SchnookoLoly, as always, I bow down to your breadth of knowledge and willingness to help.

That is incredibly helpful, thank you SO much!!!!! I will always look out for the wiki in future.

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:26 pm
mec
Forum Regular

mec will become famous soon enough

London processing time now appears to be 14 months....

They haven't updated the main page since July, but if I'm interpreting the latest dataset correctly they are now quoting 14 months for 80% of applications to be processed

Permanent Resident Applications Processed Abroad and Processing Times - Open Data Portal - Open Data

I've all but given up hope that I'll be done before year-end! Oh how I wish I'd sent my application in a couple of months later when they started staying in Canada.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

doctore is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too. I was rushing around trying to get everything together. I wish I'd been less efficient as I could have had COPR by now if it had gone to Mississauga. I'm very happy for those whose applications stayed in Canada and who got their COPRs through already, but for the rest of us waiting for London to process our applications it is very frustrating.

Moan moan moan

Originally Posted by mec
London processing time now appears to be 14 months....

They haven't updated the main page since July, but if I'm interpreting the latest dataset correctly they are now quoting 14 months for 80% of applications to be processed

Permanent Resident Applications Processed Abroad and Processing Times - Open Data Portal - Open Data

I've all but given up hope that I'll be done before year-end! Oh how I wish I'd sent my application in a couple of months later when they started staying in Canada.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:54 pm
mec
Forum Regular

mec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by doctore
Me too. I was rushing around trying to get everything together. I wish I'd been less efficient as I could have had COPR by now if it had gone to Mississauga. I'm very happy for those whose applications stayed in Canada and who got their COPRs through already, but for the rest of us waiting for London to process our applications it is very frustrating.

Moan moan moan
Agree! Happy for them just venting my frustration. I almost waited a couple of months to avoid conditional PR, but in the end decided that it wan't important. Double whammy! I could have avoided the condition too.

For what it's worth... I ordered GCMS notes back in September and everything was approved except 'Security Checks' which hadn't started. I figure that's where the backlog is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.