Renouncing PR to get ETA

Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:07 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renouncing PR to get ETA

My ex wife wants to return to Canada for a couple of weeks just for my sons 21st birthday..however she has not lived in Canada since 2012 and her PR has lapsed. This means although her PR has lapsed she still has not lost her PR so cant get an ETA or a PR travel document as she does not qualify for either. The only way i can see is to renounce her PR and then apply for an ETA. Has anyone done this? i had a look on the CIC website and it doesn't look very simple and gives no timeline as to how long this takes.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renouncing PR to get ETA

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My ex wife wants to return to Canada for a couple of weeks just for my sons 21st birthday..however she has not lived in Canada since 2012 and her PR has lapsed. This means although her PR has lapsed she still has not lost her PR so cant get an ETA or a PR travel document as she does not qualify for either. The only way i can see is to renounce her PR and then apply for an ETA. Has anyone done this? i had a look on the CIC website and it doesn't look very simple and gives no timeline as to how long this takes.
I have done it. She needs to fill out a form and send it (along with some supporting documents) to the Canadian visa office responsible for her place of residence. Follow the steps on the official website:

Guide 5781 – Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status

In my case I applied to the Visa Office in Vienna and it took about a month to process and get a confirmation letter. Good luck!

Last edited by kleinluka; Jun 4th 2018 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can also voluntarily renounce in the context of an eTA Application. The guide linked to above explains how.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can also voluntarily renounce in the context of an eTA Application. The guide linked to above explains how.
so she applies for an ETA then will be instructed how to renounce from there?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

so she applies for an ETA then will be instructed how to renounce from there?
It explains in the link kleinluka gave you

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2018 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute

Both my husband and I had to renounce our PR. I applied for an ETA and was able to renounce this way, it took 3 days for confirmation to come through. My husband tried the same way, but it wouldn’t give him the option to renounce, so had to go the paper route. We sent his forms to the London office on a Monday and by Thursday, my husband had an email to confirm his PR had been renounced. This was in March/April this year. Both very quick routes.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:43 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Richos_9
Both my husband and I had to renounce our PR. I applied for an ETA and was able to renounce this way, it took 3 days for confirmation to come through. My husband tried the same way, but it wouldn’t give him the option to renounce, so had to go the paper route. We sent his forms to the London office on a Monday and by Thursday, my husband had an email to confirm his PR had been renounced. This was in March/April this year. Both very quick routes.
Lovely thanks that's great
Old Nov 21st 2019, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely thanks that's great
Hi Cheeky_Monkey,

Could I ask for some inputs with regards to you case in renouncing your PR in Canada? In my case, I would like to permanently live here in the UK. So I thought, In order to do that, I should renounce my PR in Canada. Moved here March 2019 and haven't done anything, but would like to cut ties in Canada before the year ends. So if I do voluntary renouncing my PR do I still need to do a separate application on CRA?

Thanks a lot and looking forward to hear from you or anyone who's knowledgeable to this situation.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxygen28
Hi Cheeky_Monkey,

Could I ask for some inputs with regards to you case in renouncing your PR in Canada? In my case, I would like to permanently live here in the UK. So I thought, In order to do that, I should renounce my PR in Canada. Moved here March 2019 and haven't done anything, but would like to cut ties in Canada before the year ends. So if I do voluntary renouncing my PR do I still need to do a separate application on CRA?

Thanks a lot and looking forward to hear from you or anyone who's knowledgeable to this situation.

This thread is more than a year old - and has been closed.

There is no need to renounce your PR status in Canada just because you are going to live in the UK for the time being. Presumably you did your 'landing' to validate your COPR. I would hold on to your PR status at least until you are 100% sure that you won't ever want to live in Canada...

If you want to renounce then all you need to do is fill out the form.
As has been mentioned in your other thread: Canadian Permanent Resident on renouncing PR & Departure Tax
CRA is not immigration related. -
In Canada, your income tax obligations are based on your residency status, not your citizenship or immigration status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html
If you left Canada and established a permanent home in another country and you severed your residential ties with Canada ceasing to be a resident of Canada in the tax year, you may be considered an emigrant

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...emigrants.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2019 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Thread closed.