Reload this Page >

Canadian Permanent Resident on renouncing PR & Departure Tax

Canadian Permanent Resident on renouncing PR & Departure Tax

Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Permanent Resident on renouncing PR & Departure Tax

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone could give me good advice regarding the above title. To give you background, I am Filipino Citizen with Canadian Permanent Resident (with a valid PR card) who has relocated to the UK on a settlement visa this year to live with my husband who is a British Citizen. My husband and I both hold Canadian PR having previously lived and worked there - he moved back to the UK for his job before i got the settlement visa and I have since joined him. As our long term goal is to remain in the UK we both understand that we need to renounce our permanent residence in Canada. My question is:

1.) What should we do in renouncing our permanent residence in Canada?
2.) In terms of departure tax and declaration of property/assets owned worldwide - I do not have any assets of my own, so I assume that I only need to declare assets in my name and not anything in my husbands name (such as shares, property etc.) - is this correct?
3.) Assets in my husbands name, I assume he handles as part of his own departure process. As such, if there were assets owned before he moved from the UK to Canada, and still owns now he has moved back to the UK, would these need to be declared?
4.) In renouncing my permanent residence, can I do it her in the UK or I should be in Canada?

Thank you so much and hoping for to hear your experiences o knowledge.

Regards,
Old Feb 20th 2019, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

UsernamesRHard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Permanent Resident on renouncing PR & Departure Tax

When my friend left Canada with PR card, he didn't renounce it and he didn't pay any taxes. He just left. I'm not knowledgeable, but are you sure you need to do all this? I doubt you do.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UsernamesRHard
When my friend left Canada with PR card, he didn't renounce it and he didn't pay any taxes. He just left. I'm not knowledgeable, but are you sure you need to do all this? I doubt you do.
Thanks so much UsernamesRHard. Unfortunately, YES. I've read somewhere that you need to renounced, otherwise we might have problem in the future if ever we visit Canada (assuming we have expired PR card). Also, they have this worldwide tax thing, which means owning a property here in the UK are subject for taxes in Canada too, in the event of selling and stuff.

But thanks for sharing. I really hope someone could help me on this.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxygen28
Thanks so much UsernamesRHard. Unfortunately, YES. I've read somewhere that you need to renounced, otherwise we might have problem in the future if ever we visit Canada (assuming we have expired PR card). Also, they have this worldwide tax thing, which means owning a property here in the UK are subject for taxes in Canada too, in the event of selling and stuff.

But thanks for sharing. I really hope someone could help me on this.
As a Canadian citizen who became a USC, my husband doesn't have to declare his US owned property to CRA and neither did he ever have to declare his US income or retirement benefits to CRA. He needs to declare his Cnd pension to the US but not the other way around. Granted he is a Cnd citizen from birth so that might be the difference.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
As a Canadian citizen who became a USC, my husband doesn't have to declare his US owned property to CRA and neither did he ever have to declare his US income or retirement benefits to CRA. He needs to declare his Cnd pension to the US but not the other way around. Granted he is a Cnd citizen from birth so that might be the difference.
Thanks Rete. Appreciate your reply.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

OP as you only moved this year I suggest you hang on before you renounce in case you change your mind. I'm assuming you're not yet out of compliance with the Residency Obligation.

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 24th 2019 at 4:24 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
OP as you only moved this year I suggest you hang on before you renounce in case you change your mind. I'm assuming you're not yet out of compliance with the Residency Obligation.
My PR card validity is still until 2022. We were just worried about worldwide tax that will be imposed should we proceed in our plans like investing on properties or stocks here in the UK; you know just to prepare for our retirement.

So I'm really checking on people who have done this before.

But thanks for your suggestion Snowy560. I believe we both wanted to settle here permanently as we live near our family here.

Old Feb 26th 2019, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My PR card validity is still until 2022. We were just worried about worldwide tax that will be imposed should we proceed in our plans like investing on properties or stocks here in the UK; you know just to prepare for our retirement.

So I'm really checking on people who have done this before.

But thanks for your suggestion Snowy560. I believe we both wanted to settle here permanently as we live near our family here.

You must spend at least 2 years out of every 5 in order to keep your PR status, regardless of the date on your card. I agree with Snowy that it might be worth waiting for a while before renouncing just in case you do change your mind, there's no benefit to renouncing your status earlier.

You pay tax wherever you are tax resident - Canada won't take tax on money you earn in the UK if you are living there.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 26th 2019 at 9:52 am.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just leaving and not saying anything. My Advice is to do the same. Than just before the PR expires - renounce it.
I think you'd just update CRA when you file your tax return for 2019 with your departure date is all. (It's all I did the first time I left Canada).

Done I'd think.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 6:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
I'm just leaving and not saying anything. My Advice is to do the same. Than just before the PR expires - renounce it.
I think you'd just update CRA when you file your tax return for 2019 with your departure date is all. (It's all I did the first time I left Canada).

Done I'd think.
Which achieves what?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same situation. US citizens who became Canadian permanent residents and lived there for a year. With difficulty finding a job in my field, we moved back to the US. This was 10 years ago. We didn't renounce PR as it was unnecessary. We had no departure tax nor were asked for any.

Once you leave, you need do nothing. Canada does not tax on worldwide income for its citizens (unlike the US) nor PRs who have left. So no tax filing necessary. If you ever return to Canada to visit (assuming your PR has expired with 2 out of 5 years not met), border officers may ask about your PR status with the question - how long have you been outside of Canada? At that point, they may mark your status as not having met PR requirements, but they will let you in (by law). But still there is no need to renounce and nothing more need be done.

Last edited by Richard8655; Feb 28th 2019 at 2:09 am.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richard8655
We were in the same situation. US citizens who became Canadian permanent residents and lived there for a year. With difficulty finding a job in my field, we moved back to the US. This was 10 years ago. We didn't renounce PR as it was unnecessary. We had no departure tax nor were asked for any.

Once you leave, you need do nothing. Canada does not tax on worldwide income for its citizens (unlike the US) nor PRs who have left. So no tax filing necessary. If you ever return to Canada to visit (assuming your PR has expired with 2 out of 5 years not met), border officers may ask about your PR status with the question - how long have you been outside of Canada? At that point, they may mark your status as not having met PR requirements, but they will let you in (by law). But still there is no need to renounce and nothing more need be done.
Thanks rawsalad & Richard8655 for reply.

Richard 8655, I would like to ask if you still file tax return in CRA every year. Declaring no income in Canada? How about your property in the US, do you need to include it in your declaration of assets? This is our concern, although the property is where we currently live here in the UK, so we don’t earn anything, does CRA impose tax on the property value? I don’t know if I made sense. Was wondering what did you do before your PR expires.

hope to hear from you.

thanks,
Old Mar 8th 2019, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Richard 8655, I would like to ask if you still file tax return in CRA every year. Declaring no income in Canada? How about your property in the US, do you need to include it in your declaration of assets? This is our concern, although the property is where we currently live here in the UK, so we don’t earn anything, does CRA impose tax on the property value? I don’t know if I made sense. Was wondering what did you do before your PR expires.

hope to hear from you.

thanks,
Hi oxygen28,

Once we crossed the land border and returned to the US, we continued to file both CRA and US returns. But we filed CRA returns only because we still owned a house in Canada and had property taxes to report. A year later we visited Canada briefly to sell our house and then returned to the US. Ever since, we never filed CRA returns again as there was no longer any Canadian income or tax to account for. CRA indicates if no taxes are due or refunds expected, returns need not be filed.

We never declared our US house on any CRA return, as we didn't sell it during our time there (which would have been a capital gain). To my knowledge, foreign owned property does not impose any CRA tax based only on ongoing value. Only selling impacts CRA reporting since (as mentioned) that would be income as a capital gain. However, once you consider yourself no longer a resident of Canada (whether still a PR or not), it's not necessary to report any foreign income or foreign property changes as these rules only apply to PRs and citizens who's primary residence is Canada.

So PR status can be maintained without filing annual CRA returns. However, that would make PR renewal after 5 years more difficult as tax returns are a primary way of proving that residency requirements are fulfilled. Nevertheless, you always have PR status unless revoked, no matter how long you've been absent from Canada. So we are not revoking, as it doesn't impact anything negatively and you never know what might change in the the future.

This is my understanding of CRA and PR rules, and hope it helped and didn't confuse! If any other Canada PR expats here have other information, please correct.

Last edited by Richard8655; Mar 8th 2019 at 4:10 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Richard8655

Hi oxygen28,

Once we crossed the land border and returned to the US, we continued to file both CRA and US returns. But we filed CRA returns only because we still owned a house in Canada and had property taxes to report. A year later we visited Canada briefly to sell our house and then returned to the US. Ever since, we never filed CRA returns again as there was no longer any Canadian income or tax to account for. CRA indicates if no taxes are due or refunds expected, returns need not be filed.

We never declared our US house on any CRA return, as we didn't sell it during our time there (which would have been a capital gain). To my knowledge, foreign owned property does not impose any CRA tax based only on ongoing value. Only selling impacts CRA reporting since (as mentioned) that would be income as a capital gain. However, once you consider yourself no longer a resident of Canada (whether still a PR or not), it's not necessary to report any foreign income or foreign property changes as these rules only apply to PRs and citizens who's primary residence is Canada.

So PR status can be maintained without filing annual CRA returns. However, that would make PR renewal after 5 years more difficult as tax returns are a primary way of proving that residency requirements are fulfilled. Nevertheless, you always have PR status unless revoked, no matter how long you've been absent from Canada. So we are not revoking, as it doesn't impact anything negatively and you never know what might change in the the future.

This is my understanding of CRA and PR rules, and hope it helped and didn't confuse! If any other Canada PR expats here have other information, please correct.

1. You should have filed a T1135 if your foreign property was worth over $100K when you were resident in Canada. If you don't report foreign property to CRA, it can be extremely expense if you are caught.

Old Mar 15th 2019, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You should have filed a T1135 if your foreign property was worth over $100K when you were resident in Canada. If you don't report foreign property to CRA, it can be extremely expense if you are caught.
How do you know I didn't? My CRA reporting was more than 10 years ago. On the earlier version of the T1135, there was no need to identify particular foreign assets, or to give the precise cost. My tax software completed and submitted the form correctly for that time.

I don't think most PRs intend to evade CRA in hopes of not "getting caught". Regardless of level of honestly, there's just too much at stake in losing residency status in attempting such action.