Proof of citizenship timescales

Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default Re: Proof of citizenship timescales

You can renew UK passports while on vacation in the UK. You must be physically in the UK when you send the application by special delivery (or maybe when the passport agency receives them the next day).
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bewillow
You can renew UK passports while on vacation in the UK. You must be physically in the UK when you send the application by special delivery (or maybe when the passport agency receives them the next day).
Well, I guess they'd have to be - they can't get too far without their passports!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:40 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Received a letter today from UK CIC and my wife's application has been sent onto to be processed in Canada and it has been marked URGENT Whhhhoooooooooooo
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:36 am
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Fingers crossed my wife receives her proof of citizenship in the next few months (4-6),

So what are the next best steps?

Can I travel to Canada with her on a UK passport and apply for a work permit then apply for my PR through sponsorship in Canada?

Can I apply for PR in the UK and travel to Canada with her and be granted a temp work permit?

Basically if we decide to go we want to get there quicker rather than later, so need to find the best way of getting there so I am able to work full time.

Any info will be great and a massive thanks in advance for all helpful comments
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3
Can I travel to Canada with her on a UK passport and apply for a work permit then apply for my PR through sponsorship in Canada?
Really no point in trying to get a temp work permit - by the time you've got a job offer from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle of hiring you, then they've got the LMO so you can get the temp work permit, you'd probably have had PR anyway!

Can I apply for PR in the UK and travel to Canada with her and be granted a temp work permit?
You can apply for PR in the UK, but as above, the temp work permit probably isn't realistic particularly in the current economic climate. The PR should only take 2-6 months or so, and it'll take you longer than that to get a job offer and LMO.

Best thing to do is just apply for PR asap, and then if you want to go to Canada you can do so (although obviously you can't look as if you're 'moving' when you arrive as you'll only be on a visitor visa, so don't turn up with all your worldly possessions!). You won't be able to work until you get PR, and you won't be eligible for things like healthcare so you'll need to make sure you get good insurance.

You could always job hunt when you get there in case you do by any chance find a job offer straight away from an employer prepared to get the LMO for you, but at least you'd have PR after not too long hopefully.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really no point in trying to get a temp work permit - by the time you've got a job offer from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle of hiring you, then they've got the LMO so you can get the temp work permit, you'd probably have had PR anyway!

You can apply for PR in the UK, but as above, the temp work permit probably isn't realistic particularly in the current economic climate. The PR should only take 2-6 months or so, and it'll take you longer than that to get a job offer and LMO.

Best thing to do is just apply for PR asap, and then if you want to go to Canada you can do so (although obviously you can't look as if you're 'moving' when you arrive as you'll only be on a visitor visa, so don't turn up with all your worldly possessions!). You won't be able to work until you get PR, and you won't be eligible for things like healthcare so you'll need to make sure you get good insurance.

You could always job hunt when you get there in case you do by any chance find a job offer straight away from an employer prepared to get the LMO for you, but at least you'd have PR after not too long hopefully.

Good luck.
Hey

Thanks for all the info so by the looks of things its best just tp do it all from the UK and sit tight until the PR arrives the go. I am guessing we have to wait until my wife's proof of citizenship arrives before we can send the documents off? If this is the case best to start filling out the forms now as them seem quite lengthy.

One other thing, I take it to apply for PR we have to be moving to Canada within a certain time period? Do you need to show proof of this?

What I am getting at is can I apply for PR sponsorship through my wife without a date in mind or flights booked to move to Canada? Ideally I would like to apply for PR then remain in the UK to see if I can gain employment from the UK with the PR status fist (for a few months anyway)
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:44 am
Banned

Hey,

My Wife received her proof of citizenship card yesterday.....so thats it she was a Canadian after all
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

My Wife received her proof of citizenship card yesterday.....so thats it she was a Canadian after all
Great news! Have you completed your application now? In response to your previous question, we just sent a letter with our application to say that we could not make any definite arrangements until the visa had been issued - although we were putting the house on the market in the meantime, and told them where we were looking to move to - all went okay with the application, so i don't think you have to be too definite with your plans.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by caleo
Great news! Have you completed your application now? In response to your previous question, we just sent a letter with our application to say that we could not make any definite arrangements until the visa had been issued - although we were putting the house on the market in the meantime, and told them where we were looking to move to - all went okay with the application, so i don't think you have to be too definite with your plans.
I wish we knew she had citizenship a few years back as after much debate it has been decided that we will be holding off on moving to Canada due to the fact that we are looking to have kids in the next 12-18 months and we jut simply can not afford full time child care, we have family support here to help. We will need to look at moving in the next 5-7 years or unless we can convince the mother in law to move back with us

I am gutted but know for US its the right decision for now anyway, I'm juts glad we have her citizenship sorted out now so its there for the future
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we knew she had citizenship a few years back as after much debate it has been decided that we will be holding off on moving to Canada due to the fact that we are looking to have kids in the next 12-18 months and we jut simply can not afford full time child care, we have family support here to help. We will need to look at moving in the next 5-7 years or unless we can convince the mother in law to move back with us

I am gutted but know for US its the right decision for now anyway, I'm juts glad we have her citizenship sorted out now so its there for the future

I totally understand where you are coming from. At least you know that there is still an option for you and your family to relocate in the future now that the citizenship is sorted out!

All the best with your future plans!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by caleo
I totally understand where you are coming from. At least you know that there is still an option for you and your family to relocate in the future now that the citizenship is sorted out!

All the best with your future plans!
Thank you and all the best with your plans for the future