Obtaining a visa

Old May 26th 2022, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

CFoster26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining a visa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so not enough unfortunately.

There are about 60,000 people currently in the pool scoring higher than that. The last time the points level for a draw was below 450 was nearly 4 years ago (it was 470 and above as a general rule), and as the program will have been paused for 18 months by the time it resumes in July, I'd expect the points level to be considerably higher for quite some time.

You'll need to look at other options, either going over on a work permit first and then applying once you've got your points up through some Canadian work experience, or PNP.
i have a family. I cannot do it that way. It would have to be PNP
Old May 26th 2022, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CFoster26
i have a family. I cannot do it that way. It would have to be PNP
A lot of people on the forum have families and go over on TWP's - most don't qualify without a job offer, and most employers won't wait that long for their potential employees to start work so they have no other option. But if your employer is happy to wait (I assume so, as they were happy to wait that amount of time for you to get PR via EE, PNP should only be a little bit longer), then that's great and definitely the way to go.

Depending on the stream, you may not need an ECA, so check that carefully, and you also won't need a LMIA if the employer is happy to support a PNP app instead.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 26th 2022 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 26th 2022, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

I have done the PNP. The show interest bit anyway. Have to wait to see if they invite me. I’m over the 60 points required.
Old May 26th 2022, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have done the PNP. The show interest bit anyway. Have to wait to see if they invite me. I’m over the 60 points required.
The Expression of Interest? OK, that's good.

Just checking you're aware that current processing times are approx 2 years for PR via PNP, and the employer is happy to wait that long? I know you said you weren't keen but it might be worth considering a work permit if you do want to get over sooner.
Old May 26th 2022, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

If we can just get this ECA thing sorted I still might be able to go with express entry. I just don’t know whether our qualification is accepted as it’s not a uni course.
Old May 26th 2022, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If we can just get this ECA thing sorted I still might be able to go with express entry. I just don’t know whether our qualification is accepted as it’s not a uni course.
Even if it is accepted, your point score won't be high enough. I'm really not sure how else to explain it, but at 450 you'd just be sat in the pool for a year without being selected IMO. You can see all of the previous draws on the CIC website which will show you it's been nearly 4 years since the points threshold was that low.

You can certainly try, but personally I wouldn't waste the money and time, and I'd just focus on PNP. EE is 22 months processing time currently, so there's no advantage to it over PNP really.