British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

manitobain Jan 22nd 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Only main applicant is MUST but for the purpose of visit it is preferred if partner revels along. Kids I would leave at home as u will not have time to entertain them much.

manitobain Jan 22nd 2012 9:03 pm

revels = travels... argh.. why can't the phone type what I want? ;)

travel Jan 23rd 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9857904)
Only main applicant is MUST but for the purpose of visit it is preferred if partner revels along. Kids I would leave at home as u will not have time to entertain them much.

Thanks a lot for your reply Manitobian. We would be lost without you. Your advise is very pertinent. I will plan accordingly. At the moment I am just waiting for a decision from the program officer. :fingerscrossed:

lovely_clouds Jan 24th 2012 9:07 am

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Got our TRV .... cant believe that in just 3 days we have our passports with Canada TRV stamped. Yippy. Thanks Manitobian, VAB, XY and other forum members for your guidance and ideas.
Now, just got to finalize our schedule and book tickets.... off to Winnipeg :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Planning to be in Winnipeg for next week now. As per weather.com, its gonna be -13C average for next week, and we believe that it will be with loads of snow in city as well. Getting anxious now because of the snow. Its gonna be first time for us to be in so much of snow. We have been to glaciers and snowwy mountains... but only for leisure travel so far.

Would welcome any tips about planning for snow of Manitoba ;) ... like shoes, spl care while driving car around Winnipeg....

Dammy Jan 24th 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by lovely_clouds (Post 9861712)
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Got our TRV .... cant believe that in just 3 days we have our passports with Canada TRV stamped. Yippy. Thanks Manitobian, VAB, XY and other forum members for your guidance and ideas.
Now, just got to finalize our schedule and book tickets.... off to Winnipeg :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Planning to be in Winnipeg for next week now. As per weather.com, its gonna be -13C average for next week, and we believe that it will be with loads of snow in city as well. Getting anxious now because of the snow. Its gonna be first time for us to be in so much of snow. We have been to glaciers and snowwy mountains... but only for leisure travel so far.

Would welcome any tips about planning for snow of Manitoba ;) ... like shoes, spl care while driving car around Winnipeg....

What a sweet news. Many congratssssssssssssssss Lovely_Clouds.

Working on my own application for a TRV. Will submit latest end of this month.

timsmum Jan 24th 2012 7:33 pm

congrats lovely clouds...all the best and we cant wait to hear news from winnipeggggg..
I see a 'record' here...wow...Congratssssss once again..

Da Kingpinn Jan 24th 2012 8:13 pm

Congrats Lovelyclouds ! Wishing a safe and successful trip.
Please, please & please, dont forget to give us ' live coverage ' while in winipegg......

manitobain Jan 25th 2012 12:01 am

great to hear lovely_clouds! Don't think there will be that many loads of snow in Winnipeg... we have very little snow compared to other years (but then, that can change every day). Dress in layers :) Have a safe trip!

lovely_clouds Jan 25th 2012 11:20 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9863418)
great to hear lovely_clouds! Don't think there will be that many loads of snow in Winnipeg... we have very little snow compared to other years (but then, that can change every day). Dress in layers :) Have a safe trip!

Thank you all for the wishes. Da Kingpinn - will keep you posted about Winnipeg through this forum.
We are now finalizing travel dates.

@ilse -
1) I am receiving itinerary for Westjet flight. Do you have any idea about the flight service & timliness?
2) how far is rossburn from Winnipeg, if one wishes to drive by car ;)

manitobain Jan 25th 2012 5:23 pm

lovely_clouds:
1) flight services out to us? ok, I had to chuckle.. there is no such thing..the closest you could get would still be 1 1/2 hrs away.

Best bet is to have a rental car, as soon as you get out of Winnipeg. It takes about 3 1/2 hrs driving out to us (if the weather is good). Let me know, what your plans are?

lovely_clouds Jan 25th 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9864881)
lovely_clouds:
1) flight services out to us? ok, I had to chuckle.. there is no such thing..the closest you could get would still be 1 1/2 hrs away.

Best bet is to have a rental car, as soon as you get out of Winnipeg. It takes about 3 1/2 hrs driving out to us (if the weather is good). Let me know, what your plans are?

@manitobain -
Good morning.
Sorry, I should have been detailed in previous post.
When coming from India we have to change our flight at Toronto. And the flight for travel of Toronto-Winnipeg-Toronto that we are getting is "WestJet" airline. We havent heard of this airline, seems to be some local airline company within Canada. So I wanted to know, whether flights for WestJet are usually on time? and Is it alright if we book the tickets of WestJet.

We are in process of making our itinerary. Its a national holiday here in India tomorrow (Republic Day); and that will give us time to focus and finalize. Will surely PM you once our plan is finalized.

manitobain Jan 25th 2012 8:35 pm

ahh.. ok,
Westjet (I believe it is affiliated with Air Canada) doesn't have a bad reputation as far as I know..but you don't want to be too tight with time, as you always need to calculate the possibility of weather related delays. I'd say everything under an hour time for changing flights..I wouldn't go for.

I avoid flying whenever I can, so I might not be the best person to ask this ;)

lovely_clouds Jan 26th 2012 8:48 am

@manitobian : thanks for the update. we can safely book Westjet if doesnt have any bad reputation.

@violets are blue : can you suggest a good B&B where you stayed during your exploratory visit :decision:

Cheers.

Violets are blue Jan 26th 2012 3:39 pm

Lovely_clouds, huge congratulations to you. Im so very pleased for you and its wonderful news :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We stayed at a bed and breakfast in winnipeg, very central to everything and very reasonably priced. The lady says that they go away for periods of time during the winter so you can only try. I will pm you the details and you could e mail or phone her and ask. It was in Westgate which made it very easy to get anywhere by car within a short time.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

lovely_clouds Jan 26th 2012 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 9866859)
Lovely_clouds, huge congratulations to you. Im so very pleased for you and its wonderful news :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We stayed at a bed and breakfast in winnipeg, very central to everything and very reasonably priced. The lady says that they go away for periods of time during the winter so you can only try. I will pm you the details and you could e mail or phone her and ask. It was in Westgate which made it very easy to get anywhere by car within a short time.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

Hey @violets are blue.

many thnx for the info. We did mail them yesterday and havent heard back. Probably they are away during winters. But that was a different email address. will try the info sent by you.

thx