Main Applicant Work History

Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:36 pm
  #1  
Rhe
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Main Applicant Work History

Hi Everyone!

My husband is the main applicant on our EE FSW application and we are very close to submitting - just the work evidence to go now. I was really concerned about his work reference from his current employer because he hasn't mentioned the move yet (and obviously wants to keep his job) but after a quick call this morning, his boss has taken his template and sent it back signed so it meets all the criteria.

He has worked with his current company for 3 years and 2 months so technically this gets us the max points for foreign work experience. However, he has also reached out to his previous manager (at the company he was at for almost 4 years under the same NOC code) but has not had a response. He hasn't spoken to his old boss since he left so there isn't really a personal relationship to keep nudging him but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks (I won't hold you to it from an immigration perspective!).
  • Will the immigration person reviewing the application wonder why he is only including evidence for 3 years when he has 7 years in his personal history for this NOC code?
  • Would it make our case stronger or is it just a case of ticking the 3 year box?
  • Should we perhaps not include it but still give the evidence of his contract / job description from the previous job so they have a booster in case they have any doubts on his current job meeting the requirements of the NOC code?
He's a business technology consultant and he's applying with NOC 1122 - it's an incredibly vague job code (essentially a business consultant which applies to many roles) so his roles map quite well but also it's very open to interpretation which personally makes me a bit nervous!

Happy to hear your thoughts - my husband is very chilled regarding this whole process so he thinks it's fine to just submit but I'm a bit more nervous about it so it helps to have a few more opinions.

Thanks very much!
Rhe is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:58 pm
  #2  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by Rhe View Post
Hi Everyone!

My husband is the main applicant on our EE FSW application and we are very close to submitting - just the work evidence to go now. I was really concerned about his work reference from his current employer because he hasn't mentioned the move yet (and obviously wants to keep his job) but after a quick call this morning, his boss has taken his template and sent it back signed so it meets all the criteria.

He has worked with his current company for 3 years and 2 months so technically this gets us the max points for foreign work experience. However, he has also reached out to his previous manager (at the company he was at for almost 4 years under the same NOC code) but has not had a response. He hasn't spoken to his old boss since he left so there isn't really a personal relationship to keep nudging him but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks (I won't hold you to it from an immigration perspective!).
  • Will the immigration person reviewing the application wonder why he is only including evidence for 3 years when he has 7 years in his personal history for this NOC code?
  • Would it make our case stronger or is it just a case of ticking the 3 year box?
  • Should we perhaps not include it but still give the evidence of his contract / job description from the previous job so they have a booster in case they have any doubts on his current job meeting the requirements of the NOC code?
He's a business technology consultant and he's applying with NOC 1122 - it's an incredibly vague job code (essentially a business consultant which applies to many roles) so his roles map quite well but also it's very open to interpretation which personally makes me a bit nervous!

Happy to hear your thoughts - my husband is very chilled regarding this whole process so he thinks it's fine to just submit but I'm a bit more nervous about it so it helps to have a few more opinions.

Thanks very much!
Was all of this work experience in the UK? You're not claiming for Canadian experience as well, right?

If not then I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you say, 3 years if the max for foreign experience points and your application's main point now is to support the argument for the points you claimed in your EE profile. If you meet that number with the documents you have then you have two options really.

a) You could ask someone he worked with for a professional reference (I actually had to to do this for some of the Canadian work experience because the guy who hired me was a bit dodgy and disappeared from the face of the Earth) or
b) you could just state the situation in an LoE with your application and make it clear that you're not claiming points for that specific job.

I'm sure if I'm wrong then Christmasoompa or someone else more knowledgeable than me will confirm but I don't think it would matter much either way tbh.

Hope this helps.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:42 pm
  #3  
Rhe
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Thanks @DigitalGhost that is really helpful :-) All his experience is foreign work experience so yeah, it is at the maximum. Technically he was employed in Canada when he did his Masters there as a research associate but we're not claiming for that because it's a bit hazy. When we started the application, I was planning on asking for my references and warned my husband he'd need to get references for his other jobs too.... It feels almost too easy now because I've taken mine out (as it would add nothing) and he only needs one (and to be honest we're at 571 with 3 years so even if he evidenced 2 years we'd still be ok but it would be a change from our initial EE submission before the ITA)

I personally think if I was reviewing I'd feel more confident if there was more evidence of the work history but from my experience of government sometimes if you add extra info it just leads to more questions and I'd be nervous we'd get rejected for something that wasn't even necessary! So I think maybe we should give this guy one final nudge and do your option b!
Rhe is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:21 pm
  #4  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by Rhe View Post
Thanks @DigitalGhost that is really helpful :-) All his experience is foreign work experience so yeah, it is at the maximum. Technically he was employed in Canada when he did his Masters there as a research associate but we're not claiming for that because it's a bit hazy. When we started the application, I was planning on asking for my references and warned my husband he'd need to get references for his other jobs too.... It feels almost too easy now because I've taken mine out (as it would add nothing) and he only needs one (and to be honest we're at 571 with 3 years so even if he evidenced 2 years we'd still be ok but it would be a change from our initial EE submission before the ITA)

I personally think if I was reviewing I'd feel more confident if there was more evidence of the work history but from my experience of government sometimes if you add extra info it just leads to more questions and I'd be nervous we'd get rejected for something that wasn't even necessary! So I think maybe we should give this guy one final nudge and do your option b!
If it's foreign experience and worth 0 points then I would say don't even worry about it. In my opinion, just include an LoE stating that you couldn't get the necessary documentation for it but aren't claiming points for it. You can include copies of emails etc that you might have sent to request proof if it gives you peace of mind. LinkedIn screenshots are good because they show proof of an ignored message.

When I did mine, which was for Canadian experience that I was also claiming for, I included screenshots to prove that I'd messaged the guy who ran the company I worked for and he'd ignored it but had also been updating his profile regularly with (quite frankly BS) inspirational quotes and sales posts etc. I also included a letter from a former colleague who backed up the fact that I'd worked there but I don't think you really to do any of that.

The point of this application now is to basically put your money where your mouth is and prove justification for the points you claimed in your profile. Any information outside of those points is kind of superfluous unless it's information they specifically request.

571 is an incredible score if you have no Canadian work experience. I'm not surprised you got an ITA off the back of a score like that.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 12th 2021 at 4:23 pm.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2021, 6:36 pm
  #5  
Rhe
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
If it's foreign experience and worth 0 points then I would say don't even worry about it. In my opinion, just include an LoE stating that you couldn't get the necessary documentation for it but aren't claiming points for it. You can include copies of emails etc that you might have sent to request proof if it gives you peace of mind. LinkedIn screenshots are good because they show proof of an ignored message.

When I did mine, which was for Canadian experience that I was also claiming for, I included screenshots to prove that I'd messaged the guy who ran the company I worked for and he'd ignored it but had also been updating his profile regularly with (quite frankly BS) inspirational quotes and sales posts etc. I also included a letter from a former colleague who backed up the fact that I'd worked there but I don't think you really to do any of that.

The point of this application now is to basically put your money where your mouth is and prove justification for the points you claimed in your profile. Any information outside of those points is kind of superfluous unless it's information they specifically request.
This makes me feel much better! I've just got to think of it as meeting the minimum requirements and relax... Thank you so much for the insights.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
571 is an incredible score if you have no Canadian work experience. I'm not surprised you got an ITA off the back of a score like that.
It pays to be French but speak perfect English and have a Canadian masters apparently The booster they introduced last year for bilingual people was amazing for us. We have pretty much the same education level, same amount of work history in the UK but he gets 101 extra points for speaking both French and English and having the Canadian masters (I would eye roll if I could find one!).
Rhe is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2021, 8:12 am
  #6  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by Rhe View Post
This makes me feel much better! I've just got to think of it as meeting the minimum requirements and relax... Thank you so much for the insights.


It pays to be French but speak perfect English and have a Canadian masters apparently The booster they introduced last year for bilingual people was amazing for us. We have pretty much the same education level, same amount of work history in the UK but he gets 101 extra points for speaking both French and English and having the Canadian masters (I would eye roll if I could find one!).
Ahhh, now it makes more sense.

It's probably best to think of this as box ticking exercise and lesson in bureaucracy. You now just need to prove all of those good things you said about yourself and if it isn't going to count towards your CRS then you don't need to worry about it.

You can always use an LoE if you want to clear anything up but I'd say keep it fairly succinct. As long as you didn't lie or are struggling to prove anything that counts towards your score then you don't need to worry.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2021, 3:00 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by Rhe View Post
Hi Everyone!

My husband is the main applicant on our EE FSW application and we are very close to submitting - just the work evidence to go now. I was really concerned about his work reference from his current employer because he hasn't mentioned the move yet (and obviously wants to keep his job) but after a quick call this morning, his boss has taken his template and sent it back signed so it meets all the criteria.

He has worked with his current company for 3 years and 2 months so technically this gets us the max points for foreign work experience. However, he has also reached out to his previous manager (at the company he was at for almost 4 years under the same NOC code) but has not had a response. He hasn't spoken to his old boss since he left so there isn't really a personal relationship to keep nudging him but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks (I won't hold you to it from an immigration perspective!).
  • Will the immigration person reviewing the application wonder why he is only including evidence for 3 years when he has 7 years in his personal history for this NOC code?
  • Would it make our case stronger or is it just a case of ticking the 3 year box?
  • Should we perhaps not include it but still give the evidence of his contract / job description from the previous job so they have a booster in case they have any doubts on his current job meeting the requirements of the NOC code?
He's a business technology consultant and he's applying with NOC 1122 - it's an incredibly vague job code (essentially a business consultant which applies to many roles) so his roles map quite well but also it's very open to interpretation which personally makes me a bit nervous!

Happy to hear your thoughts - my husband is very chilled regarding this whole process so he thinks it's fine to just submit but I'm a bit more nervous about it so it helps to have a few more opinions.

Thanks very much!
You put employment that doesn't count towards your points in your personal history, (rather than listing them as work experience)... only put employment that counts for points (and you can obtain documentation for) in your work history.
See also:
EE ITA - Listing History
Work history / personal history

On the subject of his NOC code - he needs to be undertaking a substantial amount of the Main Duties and all of the essential ones to claim it... so will need to show proof that he has in his references / contract etc., from previous employment. See this post from Christmasoompa (one of our resident experts) Ontario Nominee Program / PNP info

This is the NOC description (official)
https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...jmbap%2FFvDdmT

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 13th 2021 at 3:11 pm. Reason: added link
Siouxie is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2021, 6:49 pm
  #8  
Rhe
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Thanks so much for the links Siouxie. Scarily I think it seems we have everything we need now to submit!!

His job definitely fits this code the best - even the definition of the business unit he is in (Business Transformation) on his company's website could be summary of the responsibilities I more meant, to the untrained eye, it's quite an open-ended NOC code - I think it would cover a lot of different roles! For the reference, he actually wrote the responsibilities himself and sent them to his manager to include if he was happy they were accurate so he's had the chance to make sure it hits every box. And of course he has his job description which maps nicely as well. I guess that is why there are no essential roles for this job code because you can be a management consultant in just about anything!

We have about 25 days until our deadline so I think tomorrow will be spent double checking everything and then we are good to go!
Rhe is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2021, 9:13 am
  #9  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Applicant Work History

Originally Posted by Rhe View Post
Thanks so much for the links Siouxie. Scarily I think it seems we have everything we need now to submit!!

His job definitely fits this code the best - even the definition of the business unit he is in (Business Transformation) on his company's website could be summary of the responsibilities I more meant, to the untrained eye, it's quite an open-ended NOC code - I think it would cover a lot of different roles! For the reference, he actually wrote the responsibilities himself and sent them to his manager to include if he was happy they were accurate so he's had the chance to make sure it hits every box. And of course he has his job description which maps nicely as well. I guess that is why there are no essential roles for this job code because you can be a management consultant in just about anything!

We have about 25 days until our deadline so I think tomorrow will be spent double checking everything and then we are good to go!
You'll find that many, if not most, of the NOC codes are like that. The general rule of thumb is that if your job meets at least 70% of the duties and criteria described in that code then you should be OK to use it. If you find that you're meeting the requirements for a bunch of different codes then just pick the one that seems like the best fit.
DigitalGhost is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.