Work history / personal history

Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:39 am
Just Joined

emmal123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Work history / personal history

When I submitted my express entry profile I only included the work history that I knew would get me points as I didn't think the rest was necessary.

Of course now I've got my ITA, I have to provide my entire life history and this includes all the crappy jobs I've had - otherwise I end up with huge gaps (the year after I left uni and also when I first arrived in Canada on IEC). I'm not including the jobs I had during university or school.

So my question is - do I now have to get letters from these other jobs? There's no space for them in the required documents but they could go in the letter of explanation obviously.

Help!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 2:06 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work history / personal history

Originally Posted by emmal123
When I submitted my express entry profile I only included the work history that I knew would get me points as I didn't think the rest was necessary.

Of course now I've got my ITA, I have to provide my entire life history and this includes all the crappy jobs I've had - otherwise I end up with huge gaps (the year after I left uni and also when I first arrived in Canada on IEC). I'm not including the jobs I had during university or school.

So my question is - do I now have to get letters from these other jobs? There's no space for them in the required documents but they could go in the letter of explanation obviously.

Help!
You put any jobs that you DONT want points for (I.e non skilled work like bar jobs, restaurant etc) in your personal history.

Your work history is for the jobs that are skilled and related to NOC code and the ones you need references for. Of course these jobs also go in personal history as you can't have any gaps.

So to clarify:

Personal history - last 10 years of everything you have done with no gaps. This includes education, periods of employment, periods of unemployment, extended travelling (no holidays or vacations).

Work history - skilled work experience that are related to your NOC or can be classed as skilled that count towards points - these are the ones you need reference letters for.

Travel history - holidays and vacations within the last 10 years or since you were 18.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

emmal123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome, thank you for clarifying.

I thought that was the case but I'm so close to submitting that I'm panicking about everything now! So glad I don't have to go back and hunt down letters from jobs I had 9 years ago, been hard enough getting some of the others.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmal123
Awesome, thank you for clarifying.

I thought that was the case but I'm so close to submitting that I'm panicking about everything now! So glad I don't have to go back and hunt down letters from jobs I had 9 years ago, been hard enough getting some of the others.
You also need to be guided for your individual doc checklist
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You put any jobs that you DONT want points for (I.e non skilled work like bar jobs, restaurant etc) in your personal history.

Your work history is for the jobs that are skilled and related to NOC code and the ones you need references for. Of course these jobs also go in personal history as you can't have any gaps.

So to clarify:

Personal history - last 10 years of everything you have done with no gaps. This includes education, periods of employment, periods of unemployment, extended travelling (no holidays or vacations).

Work history - skilled work experience that are related to your NOC or can be classed as skilled that count towards points - these are the ones you need reference letters for.

Travel history - holidays and vacations within the last 10 years or since you were 18.
Could you show me where CIC state this? I am running in circles trying to find employment references for my wife, for points we don't need. Can I just take these out of her employment record?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:40 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Could you show me where CIC state this? I am running in circles trying to find employment references for my wife, for points we don't need. Can I just take these out of her employment record?
There isn't anything specific but I got my PR this way. I put jobs such as bar staff and Graphic Designer in personal history but not job history - I didn't want the points for GD as I would never have been able to get a reference letter from that company

If it's not skilled work and/or you don't want the points for it then just put it in personal history rather then work history
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

How Becki has wrote it is how I understood it to be to be honest. Under personal history it says employment can go there, I just put down all my crappy part time jobs I had as a student under there to complete the timeline.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:11 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
How Becki has wrote it is how I understood it to be to be honest. Under personal history it says employment can go there, I just put down all my crappy part time jobs I had as a student under there to complete the timeline.
Exactly.

Your personal history cant have any gaps so everything has to go in there.

Anything you put in work history will automatically ask for a reference letter for that work experience.

I didn't actually put my jobs as a student whilst at university down because I was already studying and in personal history for that timeline I was in education. You couldnt overlap times when I did it
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

May I ask;I'm about to start putting together an express entry application (I've not started it yet, very early stages and haven't taken my IELTS yet) and I've just come across this thread...what information exactly is needed in the letter from your employers? Does it need to be the actual owner of the company or just a company representative?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammilc
May I ask;I'm about to start putting together an express entry application (I've not started it yet, very early stages and haven't taken my IELTS yet) and I've just come across this thread...what information exactly is needed in the letter from your employers? Does it need to be the actual owner of the company or just a company representative?
From the IRCC website

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Applications received on or after January 1, 2016, for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

What if the company no longer exists? The first restaurant I managed went bankrupt (not my fault, honest!). Would a letter from a senior employee i.e. executive chef do?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:24 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Sammilc
What if the company no longer exists? The first restaurant I managed went bankrupt (not my fault, honest!). Would a letter from a senior employee i.e. executive chef do?

I believe you need to show evidence that the company has gone bankrupt and that you can no longer get a reference letter from them.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
There isn't anything specific but I got my PR this way. I put jobs such as bar staff and Graphic Designer in personal history but not job history - I didn't want the points for GD as I would never have been able to get a reference letter from that company

If it's not skilled work and/or you don't want the points for it then just put it in personal history rather then work history
Makes sense to me and in reality I should of picked up earlier as to why they went in both. Clearer instructions would be nice from CIC . As such we have stopped worrying about it, I have letters for all my employers and from my wifes most recent, Canadian, employment so we should be fine on the points and the application. We will see in 6 months time
Old May 18th 2017, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

mr2face is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a similar situation- i understand i can just not claim points for it. thanks for that.

how do i reference that (and justify) in the LOE?