Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ontario Nominee Program / PNP info

Ontario Nominee Program / PNP info

Old Dec 1st 2020, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Eterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario Nominee Program / PNP info

Hello, does anyone have any experience with Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program or PNP? I have a employer who will help me in any way they can as long as it's not going to cost them money and I'm now classed as a skilled worker. Any information, guidance, experiences or alternatives would be appreciated.

preemptive thanks to christmasoompa
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Nominee Program / PNP info

Originally Posted by Eterna123
preemptive thanks to christmasoompa
That shows a worrying amount of faith in me.

Lots have experience of the OINP program, but which specific stream would you be applying under? I think we've checked alternatives on your other threads, IIRC you don't score enough for EE? So PNP would be your only route to PR.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Eterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond reputeEterna123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That shows a worrying amount of faith in me.

Lots have experience of the OINP program, but which specific stream would you be applying under? I think we've checked alternatives on your other threads, IIRC you don't score enough for EE? So PNP would be your only route to PR.
lol you're single handedly guiding me to Canada.

I was thinking OINP Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker stream I seem to meet all the requirements. Do you know if a retail team lead position is the same as a retail sales supervisor? it's basically the same just just worded differently, I can't find a team lead position noc code either.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

lol you're single handedly guiding me to Canada.

I was thinking OINP Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker stream I seem to meet all the requirements. Do you know if a retail team lead position is the same as a retail sales supervisor? it's basically the same just just worded differently, I can't find a team lead position noc code either.
Um.. that stream is currently closed, unfortunately..

Supervisor is not generally the same as 'lead hand' or 'team lead' for retail- unless you are selling subscriptions or are night crew (that term is more common in trades/production).. could your employer give you a contract that is worded differently?
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...4&VST=01012011

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 3rd 2020 at 8:01 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Um.. that stream is currently closed, unfortunately..

Supervisor is not generally the same as 'lead hand' or 'team lead' for retail- unless you are selling subscriptions or are night crew (that term is more common in trades/production).. could your employer give you a contract that is worded differently?
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...4&VST=01012011
Okay, thanks for pointing that one out, well the skilled trades seems doable right? Will a singed document on headed paper saying that I've been working full time as a supervisor do the job or do they need a copy of my contract?
Old Dec 4th 2020, 2:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, thanks for pointing that one out, well the skilled trades seems doable right? Will a singed document on headed paper saying that I've been working full time as a supervisor do the job or do they need a copy of my contract?
Skilled trades isn't doable if you work in retail, no. It's only for those that work in skilled trade occupations i.e. plumbers, electricians, etc. And you'd need a lot more paperwork than just a letter on headed paper! That is one of the requirements for the Foreign Worker stream, a written job offer (which must include certain wording), but there are lots of other things too, such as the businesses' financial records, proof of business premises, efforts of recruitment if applicable, tax records, employee records, etc. I'd suggest you have a good look at the website to see exactly what will be required - https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp...oyer-checklist

You can wait until the Foreign Worker stream reopens, remind me what your current situation is, when does your current work permit expire? And what's your exact NOC code?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 4th 2020 at 2:59 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Skilled trades isn't doable if you work in retail, no. It's only for those that work in skilled trade occupations i.e. plumbers, electricians, etc. And you'd need a lot more paperwork than just a letter on headed paper! That is one of the requirements for the Foreign Worker stream, a written job offer (which must include certain wording), but there are lots of other things too, such as the businesses' financial records, proof of business premises, efforts of recruitment if applicable, tax records, employee records, etc. I'd suggest you have a good look at the website to see exactly what will be required - https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp...oyer-checklist

You can wait until the Foreign Worker stream reopens, remind me what your current situation is, when does your current work permit expire? And what's your exact NOC code?

Any guess on when that'll be reopening? I live in Toronto, working in a retail cannabis dispensary. I have 12months left on my current work permit, my noc code I thought was 6211 but apparently not, I can't find anything that fits at all, my contract states 'full time team leader'. They probably will reword it for me if I ask as it literally is a supervisor role, the less I have to ask for the better though.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Any guess on when that'll be reopening? I live in Toronto, working in a retail cannabis dispensary. I have 12months left on my current work permit, my noc code I thought was 6211 but apparently not, I can't find anything that fits at all, my contract states 'full time team leader'. They probably will reword it for me if I ask as it literally is a supervisor role, the less I have to ask for the better though.
Unless you can get a new contract written up naming you as Supervisor, you'r NOC will be 6421 https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...V=4&TVD=122372
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Any guess on when that'll be reopening?
It's only just opened and closed again (within a day), so I'd imagine it'll be a little while before it reopens. Maybe spring time but that really is a rough guess based on previous years.

I have 12months left on my current work permit, my noc code I thought was 6211 but apparently not, I can't find anything that fits at all, my contract states 'full time team leader'. They probably will reword it for me if I ask as it literally is a supervisor role, the less I have to ask for the better though.
What exactly do you do, what are your duties? Do they match those under NOC 6211? As Siouxie has said, if you're working in the retail sector it may be 6421, and that would be an issue as it's a Skill Level C job, so not classed as 'skilled' - so proving you're a supervisor and in charge of other retail staff will be key.

Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

It's only just opened and closed again (within a day), so I'd imagine it'll be a little while before it reopens. Maybe spring time but that really is a rough guess based on previous years.

What exactly do you do, what are your duties? Do they match those under NOC 6211? As Siouxie has said, if you're working in the retail sector it may be 6421, and that would be an issue as it's a Skill Level C job, so not classed as 'skilled' - so proving you're a supervisor and in charge of other retail staff will be key.

thanks as always for the response, yea I am normally in charge of a team of people 3/4 at a time normally , alot of times being the highest position in the store. I close and open too. With us going curbside due to lockdown I'm currently just working with one sales rep at a time so unsure if that'll count.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:03 pm
Banned

thanks as always for the response, yea I am normally in charge of a team of people 3/4 at a time normally , alot of times being the highest position in the store. I close and open too. With us going curbside due to lockdown I'm currently just working with one sales rep at a time so unsure if that'll count.
It sounds like they have you down as a Team /Floor Lead (and a 3rd keyholder), which is generally classed as a senior retail associate or similar, but it seems like you are doing a lot of the supervisor role especially when higher management aren't at work. You would need to have your employers write you a new contract employing you as supervisor and adusting your written duties to refect the higher responsability. If you read the 'Main Duties' on the Supervisor NOC you would be expected to be doing most (but not all, necessarily) of the duties listed. https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&MLV=4&CLV=4

Unfortunately Ontario doesn't have a semi skilled stream like BC and Nova Scotia do.. so unless you have a Canadian partner or can move to one of the other Provinces and work for 6 months, getting your employer to give you a new contract (or securing another job) may be your only option right now. Fingers crossed for you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 14th 2020 at 8:19 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It sounds like they have you down as a Team /Floor Lead (and a 3rd keyholder), which is generally classed as a senior retail associate or similar, but it seems like you are doing a lot of the supervisor role especially when higher management aren't at work. You would need to have your employers write you a new contract employing you as supervisor and adusting your written duties to refect the higher responsability. If you read the 'Main Duties' on the Supervisor NOC you would be expected to be doing most (but not all, necessarily) of the duties listed. https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&MLV=4&CLV=4

Unfortunately Ontario doesn't have a semi skilled stream like BC and Nova Scotia do.. so unless you have a Canadian partner or can move to one of the other Provinces and work for 6 months, getting your employer to give you a new contract (or securing another job) may be your only option right now. Fingers crossed for you!

Okay, my contract now states "Retail Sales Supervisor" this is perfect right? What's my next move?
Old Jan 11th 2021, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Okay, my contract now states "Retail Sales Supervisor" this is perfect right? What's my next move?
Having that as a job title is helpful, but that's not what will be used when determining your NOC code. As Siouxie said, you need to make sure that you have proof of meeting the criteria under that NOC code i.e. your contract gives your duties, your references do, etc, and you have proof you do at least half the 'main duties' listed, and all of the essential ones.

Once you've sorted that, have another look at the link above for info on what you'd need to a supply for a PNP application, I'd suggest you start gathering ask of that that and get your employer on board with all of the requirements, so that you can apply as soon as the program opens again.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 11th 2021 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Having that as a job title is helpful, but that's not what will be used when determining your NOC code. As Siouxie said, you need to make sure that you have proof of meeting the criteria under that NOC code i.e. your contract gives your duties, your references do, etc, and you have proof you do at least half the 'main duties' listed, and all of the essential ones.

Once you've sorted that, have another look at the link above for info on what you'd need to a supply for a PNP application, I'd suggest you start gathering ask of that that and get your employer on board with all of the requirements, so that you can apply as soon as the program opens again.

HTH, good luck.
So I was looking into the foreign workers stream that was recommended https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-emp...-worker-stream . I won't be able to prove that I have 2 years experience in my current noc nor get it here in Canada before my permit runs out. Does a Cannsell count as a "mandatory licence or other authorization in Ontario" ? so I can skip the needed hours ? If not are there any other methods of me getting pr that you could recommend considering my employer seems willing to work with me.