Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

can't put all PNP's in the same pot...LOTS of different versions and possibilities (or not) ! PNP in MB for example takes in most cases 4 months..apparently the new online version is even faster (still have to see that). In some streams you need to work already here, others you can apply directly too...

First things first: In which Province you plan to settle?? that is the main first question with PNP.
Next thing check out : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

each province has several possibility...not all provinces will have what you are looking for and it might not apply to you. If it does, I agree, PNP is the way to go!

cheers
Ilse
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:52 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicknBridget
When you had got your new LMO did you apply to Vegreville for an extension to the work permit? If so have you had the new work permit yet? We're just thinking of starting the process as our TWP expires in May and you can guarantee our PR wont be through by then!
OH applied online for his new work permit on 2nd August.
When he applied it quoted 58 days fr online apps, but the week before this was due they suddenly upped their date to 86 days.

In the end it took 76 days from application to receipt in the post.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
OH applied online for his new work permit on 2nd August.
When he applied it quoted 58 days fr online apps, but the week before this was due they suddenly upped their date to 86 days.

In the end it took 76 days from application to receipt in the post.
Thanks for the heads up. Best apply early Feb then :-)
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:57 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicknBridget
Thanks for the heads up. Best apply early Feb then :-)
I'd say so - at least then.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

You need to get this straightened out in your mind, livy because I think you have the roles of these things all mixed up!

PNP is one route to PR if you have a job offer now.
It involves getting the Province to back your application for PR. This is called the Nomination and is done before you apply for PR.
The Provincial Nomination takes varying times depending on the Province but here in BC it is taking about 4 months at the moment, I believe. After that the PR process will take another few months but no-one can really predict how long.

LMO and TWP is another route to PR if you have a job offer.
If you have a job offer which has been approved by HRSDC, which is called the LMO, then you can apply for PR through the FSW Cat 2.

You can only apply for FSW Cat 1 if your job experience is on the list of jobs in demand but you wait in the UK until that comes through (in a year-ish) and then go over to Canada and begin work.

AEO or Arranged Employment Offer is another way to apply for PR through the Federal Skilled Worker Category 2, but in this route you also wait in the UK until PR comes through.

They can all get you PR, but they require different things to qualify and are suitable for different people for that reason.
Only you can decide which one suits your personal situation.

If you want to go over soon and take up a job, you have these two choices, I think - PNP route or LMO/TWP and FSW Cat 2.

As we have said, the benefit if PNP is that once you have applied and got your Provincial Nomination your application for PR using this as your 'ticket' can begin, you can stay in Canada and work until the PR decision is made.

Using the LMO/TWP route, you are at the whim of the HRSDC officer as to how long they give on the lMO and the Immigration Officer who issues the TWP. If you get 2 years, you might be OK, but if they only give you 1 year you will have to go through renewing the LMO, which is always a potential risk.

It is complicated, I know!
I hope I have explained it better this time.
ive got a signed contract of employment with an Alberta employer, my job is in the NOC B class which i can apply for pr through fsw route. but i am going down the LMO/TWP route, then when i pass the relivant trade tests i will be nominated for PNP automaticaly then i can apply for PR
Old Nov 27th 2011, 2:58 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
ive got a signed contract of employment with an Alberta employer, my job is in the NOC B class which i can apply for pr through fsw route. but i am going down the LMO/TWP route, then when i pass the relivant trade tests i will be nominated for PNP automaticaly then i can apply for PR
How do you get nominated for PNP automatically?
I haven't heard of that.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

How do you get nominated for PNP automatically?
I haven't heard of that.
appologies, i didnt make myself very clear, when i pass the trade tests in alberta i will be invited to join the pnp.

If you have met all the requirements for the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program, Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) will issue you an Alberta Qualification Certificate in your respective trade. After you receive your trade certificate, AIT will send you a letter inviting you to apply to the AINP Strategic Recruitment Stream.
•You must have an AINP invitation letter from AIT. If you do not have an AINP invitation letter from AIT, your application will be declined.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

livylegs is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to get this straightened out in your mind, livy because I think you have the roles of these things all mixed up!

PNP is one route to PR if you have a job offer now.
It involves getting the Province to back your application for PR. This is called the Nomination and is done before you apply for PR.
The Provincial Nomination takes varying times depending on the Province but here in BC it is taking about 4 months at the moment, I believe. After that the PR process will take another few months but no-one can really predict how long.

LMO and TWP is another route to PR if you have a job offer.
If you have a job offer which has been approved by HRSDC, which is called the LMO, then you can apply for PR through the FSW Cat 2.

You can only apply for FSW Cat 1 if your job experience is on the list of jobs in demand but you wait in the UK until that comes through (in a year-ish) and then go over to Canada and begin work.

AEO or Arranged Employment Offer is another way to apply for PR through the Federal Skilled Worker Category 2, but in this route you also wait in the UK until PR comes through.

They can all get you PR, but they require different things to qualify and are suitable for different people for that reason.
Only you can decide which one suits your personal situation.

If you want to go over soon and take up a job, you have these two choices, I think - PNP route or LMO/TWP and FSW Cat 2.

As we have said, the benefit if PNP is that once you have applied and got your Provincial Nomination your application for PR using this as your 'ticket' can begin, you can stay in Canada and work until the PR decision is made.

Using the LMO/TWP route, you are at the whim of the HRSDC officer as to how long they give on the lMO and the Immigration Officer who issues the TWP. If you get 2 years, you might be OK, but if they only give you 1 year you will have to go through renewing the LMO, which is always a potential risk.

It is complicated, I know!
I hope I have explained it better this time.
Hi helcat,

thanks for explaining it to me

please excuse my dizzyness but....

the guy whos given my hubby a job needs him ASAP so wants to try the LMO route but can he set the LMO andmy hubby apply for the PNP at the same time?
because am wary about what you said about the LMO and at least if the PNP was set off at the same time, if the LMO came back refused the PNP would be processing and still help us get our PR? and maybes shave a little time off the whole process if we have the PNP in place.

Sorry if I am asking stupid stuff but I cant find anything about what you can and cant apply for at the same time.

oh just been downloading the forms for PNP and the guaranteed job offer form the employer has to fill it out and hes in Canada so I am taking it we should just fill our bit in and send it too him then he sends the completed application to the correct office? arghhhhh hurdels every way lol

oh ave just read you can apply for TWP at POE once you receive your PNP is that correct?
if so we might as well forget the LMO and crack on with the PNP if that is correct.

thanks again and if you sick of me just yell I will understand lol

big thanks.xx

Last edited by livylegs; Nov 29th 2011 at 7:19 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by livylegs
Hi helcat,

thanks for explaining it to me

please excuse my dizzyness but....

the guy whos given my hubby a job needs him ASAP so wants to try the LMO route but can he set the LMO andmy hubby apply for the PNP at the same time?
because am wary about what you said about the LMO and at least if the PNP was set off at the same time, if the LMO came back refused the PNP would be processing and still help us get our PR? and maybes shave a little time off the whole process if we have the PNP in place.

Sorry if I am asking stupid stuff but I cant find anything about what you can and cant apply for at the same time.

oh just been downloading the forms for PNP and the guaranteed job offer form the employer has to fill it out and hes in Canada so I am taking it we should just fill our bit in and send it too him then he sends the completed application to the correct office? arghhhhh hurdels every way lol

oh ave just read you can apply for TWP at POE once you receive your PNP is that correct?
if so we might as well forget the LMO and crack on with the PNP if that is correct.

thanks again and if you sick of me just yell I will understand lol

big thanks.xx
The employer is probably going to have to apply for an LMO. There is a better chance that the LMO will come back before the PNP nomination letter. It all depends on which province. Alberta is a month for skilled worker PNP the others don't seem to post their times.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The employer is probably going to have to apply for an LMO. There is a better chance that the LMO will come back before the PNP nomination letter. It all depends on which province. Alberta is a month for skilled worker PNP the others don't seem to post their times.
hiya PMM,

thanks for replying and we heading to BC and we just not sure what to do for the best and as you can probs tell making decisions isnt our strong point lol

thanks again.xx
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:51 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by livylegs
hiya PMM,

thanks for replying and we heading to BC and we just not sure what to do for the best and as you can probs tell making decisions isnt our strong point lol

thanks again.xx
BC PNP is taking about 4 months at the moment for the nomination to be accepted, I believe. Someone posted on another thread about this recently but I am sorry I cannot remember who it was.

LMO in BC is taking 10 weeks or more - some have been as much as 16 weeks, so it is running at nearly the same time it seems to me here.

When we did LMO in late May here in BC it only took barely 4 weeks but since then I have been told on this site that there has been a change in offices and that is what has put up the times.

Maybe someone who applied recently can give some more up to date info.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

great stuff thanks helcat

I will try a new thread see if anyone has some advice thats just been accepted or applied!

thanks again your info is fantastic.xxx