Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

livylegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

hiya guys,

we are in the process of waiting for my hubbys employer to start the application for his LMO.

But can we also start our PR now as well? as we dont want to get 12 weeks down the line and then for the LMO to be refused again and then have to start with our PR while it could of been 12 weeks into our PR application.

I dont know if the LMO gets approved and we have applied from the UK it might mess the PR application up as we will be in Canada by the time they start asking for medicals etc and we would need to change our address etc

I have looked on loads of sites but cant find an answer unless am totally missing the answer which is probably the case lol

so any advice would be great

Thanks in advance folks
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:55 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO and PR any advice would be great:)

If your husband's occupation is on the acceptable list then he should apply for PR now. The LMO if approved will be a plus in the long run and if not then no harm. The only concern for visa officers is that you accept the idea that, if you go to Canada with a TWP and the PR is refused for some reason, you will leave Canada at the expiry of the TWP validity period.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

hiya Jim,

thanks for replying

hes a diesel mechanic so a heavy duty mechanic on the NOC list

yeah I know scary thought if the PR is refused as we would be taking our 2 kids!
so taking them from here and then if things dont work out with the PR by then we will be all settled in Canada and then uprooting them again.

but fingers crossed it wont come to that if we do manage to go over on a LMO!

Would we still keep application going in the UK even if we move to Canada or change to the canadian office?

thanks again Jim

Last edited by livylegs; Nov 14th 2011 at 8:26 pm. Reason: missed type
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:54 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livylegs
hiya Jim,

thanks for replying

hes a diesel mechanic so a heavy duty mechanic on the NOC list

yeah I know scary thought if the PR is refused as we would be taking our 2 kids!
so taking them from here and then if things dont work out with the PR by then we will be all settled in Canada and then uprooting them again.

but fingers crossed it wont come to that if we do manage to go over on a LMO!

Would we still keep application going in the UK even if we move to Canada or change to the canadian office?

thanks again Jim
You don't change your VO once you have applied.
Your VO would be London if you are UK citizens but all applications are sent initially to CIO in Canada and then they forward the application on to the relevant VO when they have done the initial review.

How are you thinking of applying?

If you are FSW Cat1 (i.e your job is on the list of jobs in demand) then you ought to be aware that if you go over on a LMO/TWP that they might only issue to TWP for one year.
It is quite possible that your PR will take longer than a year and then you would have to renew the LMO before the year was up, even if your PR was close to completion.
This is risky and if it was rejected you couldn't work again until you had the PR.

If you have a job offer, the better option might be to apply for PNP in the province in which you have the job offer.
Once you have got the PNP approval, you apply for PR with the Provincial nomination to back up your application and then while PR is being processed you do not have to renew the LMO. The TWP just gets renewed and the Provincial Nomination again supports that so you can work and live in Canada quite safely until the PR is decided.

This is so much less of a worry than we had, having to renew our LMO after about 10 months because the FSW hadn't come through (and still hasn't, 14 months and counting).

I would consider PNP if I was in your position now, especially with the risk of taking your whole family for what might only be one year of working.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Your VO would be London if you are UK citizens but all applications are sent initially to CIO in Canada and then they forward the application on to the relevant VO when they have done the initial review.

If you are FSW Cat1 (i.e your job is on the list of jobs in demand) then you ought to be aware that if you go over on a LMO/TWP that they might only issue to TWP for one year.
It is quite possible that your PR will take longer than a year and then you would have to renew the LMO before the year was up, even if your PR was close to completion.
This is risky and if it was rejected you couldn't work again until you had the PR.

If you have a job offer, the better option might be to apply for PNP in the province in which you have the job offer.
Once you have got the PNP approval, you apply for PR with the Provincial nomination to back up your application and then while PR is being processed you do not have to renew the LMO. The TWP just gets renewed and the Provincial Nomination again supports that so you can work and live in Canada quite safely until the PR is decided.

This is so much less of a worry than we had, having to renew our LMO after about 10 months because the FSW hadn't come through (and still hasn't, 14 months and counting).

I would consider PNP if I was in your position now, especially with the risk of taking your whole family for what might only be one year of working.
helcat12, with that post you answered a question I didn't even know how to ask. Thank you
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:33 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cchris
helcat12, with that post you answered a question I didn't even know how to ask. Thank you
No problem.
The best way to avoid mistakes is by reading about other people's mistakes and we made ours and so have been through that LMO renewal stress as FSW Cat 2.
We managed the risk by deciding the only way to be safe was by being apart - me in the UK keeping that escape route open and OH in Canada working.

It meant over a year of being apart.

We did know a little about PNP but when we asked at CIC about the PNP compared to FSW Cat 2 they didn't tell us about the LMO thing.
At that time, they were quoting 6 months processing for FSW Cat 2 and so I suppose they thought it would be a moot point anyway.

That processing time turned out to be a load of old tosh, though and 14 months later we still haven't received Meds but at least the new LMO and TWP is for 2 years, which gives us the security we were hoping for.

Still, we would have avoided a lot of heartache, sadness, worry and expense if we had chosen PNP in the first place.

I hope I can save someone else having to go through that by posting on here.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute

No problem.
The best way to avoid mistakes is by reading about other people's mistakes and we made ours and so have been through that LMO renewal stress as FSW Cat 2.
We managed the risk by deciding the only way to be safe was by being apart - me in the UK keeping that escape route open and OH in Canada working.

It meant over a year of being apart.

We did know a little about PNP but when we asked at CIC about the PNP compared to FSW Cat 2 they didn't tell us about the LMO thing.
At that time, they were quoting 6 months processing for FSW Cat 2 and so I suppose they thought it would be a moot point anyway.

That processing time turned out to be a load of old tosh, though and 14 months later we still haven't received Meds but at least the new LMO and TWP is for 2 years, which gives us the security we were hoping for.

Still, we would have avoided a lot of heartache, sadness, worry and expense if we had chosen PNP in the first place.

I hope I can save someone else having to go through that by posting on here.
PNP is the way to go for me for sure. Thanks so much for the insight and info
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:41 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Cchris
PNP is the way to go for me for sure. Thanks so much for the insight and info
Good Luck with it.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

hiya helcat

thanks for replying

Yeah we scared of going over like you say and been there a year then coming back to UK because of PR not been through or twp not been renewed its a tricky 1.

we have been down the LMO route a year ago and it got refused so to be honest I reckon we probs gonna have to go down the PR route which would be fine for just me and my hubby.

but we would love to get our kids over asap as they nearly 12 and 9 now and dont want to leave it any longer if poss but I know the PR is probs the safest route for a family.
Mind if we hadnt backed out the last time and carried on our PR it would probs be all through now ""sighs"" but hey never mind we trying again!

If our LMO gets approved how long after we land in Canada can my hubby and his boss apply for the PNP please?

You sound like you had your ups and downs helcat and 14 months eeek!! hope it comes through soon for yous

I will do some research on the PNP because we dont really know much about it to be honest but if this LMO comes through as approved that will deffo be our route.

Thanks again.xxx
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:56 pm
Island life at last

hiya helcat

thanks for replying

Yeah we scared of going over like you say and been there a year then coming back to UK because of PR not been through or twp not been renewed its a tricky 1.

we have been down the LMO route a year ago and it got refused so to be honest I reckon we probs gonna have to go down the PR route which would be fine for just me and my hubby.

but we would love to get our kids over asap as they nearly 12 and 9 now and dont want to leave it any longer if poss but I know the PR is probs the safest route for a family.
Mind if we hadnt backed out the last time and carried on our PR it would probs be all through now ""sighs"" but hey never mind we trying again!

If our LMO gets approved how long after we land in Canada can my hubby and his boss apply for the PNP please?

You sound like you had your ups and downs helcat and 14 months eeek!! hope it comes through soon for yous

I will do some research on the PNP because we dont really know much about it to be honest but if this LMO comes through as approved that will deffo be our route.

Thanks again.xxx
You don't need the LMO for PNP, as I understand it. They are quite separate things.

The Provincial Nomination is an alternative to the LMO/TWP route if you like.
First you apply for the nomination in the Province of your choice where you want to settle. Then you apply for PR with the backing of the Provincial Nomination.
You still need a work permit, but that is backed by the PNP nomination so that all goes through quite smoothly from what I understand.

You can also do both - go over on LMO, get a TWP and then apply for PNP while you are there if you like.
I think some people do that just to see if they like it and once here, they decide to apply for PR and then they choose either FSW Cat 2 or PNP.

I don't know anything more about the application requirements for PNP, but there are lots of threads with info about this route if you do a search.

I do know that the nomination in B.C has been taking about 4 months to come through, but that is the same time as our Initial assessment at CIO took for FSW before our file went to London VO, so no difference there.

It just seems to me that PNP isn't the route that most people know about r are directed to - everyone seems to find out about FSW and then apply, as we did and then find they could have saved themselves a lot if they had known about PNP instead.

At least f you research the options you ca make sure that you have made the best choice for you and your family.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

I do know that the nomination in B.C has been taking about 4 months to come through, but that is the same time as our Initial assessment at CIO took for FSW before our file went to London VO, so no difference there.
Don't want to put too much of a downer on PNP but I have two colleagues whose PNP took well over a year to process - this was last year and perhaps things have got better (or always were in BC, we are in Alberta) or there were issues with their applications but just wanted to put that out there - the processing times quoted on the CIC website are pretty short so hopefully that is still the case but these are not guarantees (as Helcat and I both know from our FSW2 trials!)

good luck
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:02 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
Don't want to put too much of a downer on PNP but I have two colleagues whose PNP took well over a year to process - this was last year and perhaps things have got better (or always were in BC, we are in Alberta) or there were issues with their applications but just wanted to put that out there - the processing times quoted on the CIC website are pretty short so hopefully that is still the case but these are not guarantees (as Helcat and I both know from our FSW2 trials!)

good luck
Too true

When we applied in September 2010, we were told that FSW Cat 2 and PNP were taking about the same amount of time and that FSW Cat 2 would be done by the VO in 6 months.

I remember hearing after about 6 months that some people who applied for PNP at the same time as us had been granted their PR.
That was a bad day.

Now it seems that PNP IS genuinely taking as long as FSW, but instead of FSW having come down, PNP time has gone up.
PNP not having the LMO renewal issue is the most valuable thing about it.
The LMO renewal was a scary and tense wait for us both.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

hiya,

Crikey now I remember the stresses that come with all this as my stress levels are already high and we just starting our process off again lol

thanks for the replys though its a fantastic site for info and help

So does my hubby and employer do a joint application for the PNP and then if its approved do we get the certificate of PNP and show it at the POE and then get a TWP then once we been there a while we then set our PR off?

and can we set PR off and PNP at the same time?

My hubby hasnt got a AEO yet though just a job offer so does that make a difference to the PNP?

just out of curiosity If your job isnt on the NOC list can you not apply for PR or PNP or does that no matter as long as you have a job offer?

And so its taking a year or so to get an answer about your PNP outcome then that could be refused oh thats quite a risk isnt it if its take a year just to find out unless am getting a little confused?

Thanks folks
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:05 am
Island life at last

hiya,

Crikey now I remember the stresses that come with all this as my stress levels are already high and we just starting our process off again lol

thanks for the replys though its a fantastic site for info and help

So does my hubby and employer do a joint application for the PNP and then if its approved do we get the certificate of PNP and show it at the POE and then get a TWP then once we been there a while we then set our PR off?

and can we set PR off and PNP at the same time?

My hubby hasnt got a AEO yet though just a job offer so does that make a difference to the PNP?

just out of curiosity If your job isnt on the NOC list can you not apply for PR or PNP or does that no matter as long as you have a job offer?

And so its taking a year or so to get an answer about your PNP outcome then that could be refused oh thats quite a risk isnt it if its take a year just to find out unless am getting a little confused?

Thanks folks
You need to get this straightened out in your mind, livy because I think you have the roles of these things all mixed up!

PNP is one route to PR if you have a job offer now.
It involves getting the Province to back your application for PR. This is called the Nomination and is done before you apply for PR.
The Provincial Nomination takes varying times depending on the Province but here in BC it is taking about 4 months at the moment, I believe. After that the PR process will take another few months but no-one can really predict how long.

LMO and TWP is another route to PR if you have a job offer.
If you have a job offer which has been approved by HRSDC, which is called the LMO, then you can apply for PR through the FSW Cat 2.

You can only apply for FSW Cat 1 if your job experience is on the list of jobs in demand but you wait in the UK until that comes through (in a year-ish) and then go over to Canada and begin work.

AEO or Arranged Employment Offer is another way to apply for PR through the Federal Skilled Worker Category 2, but in this route you also wait in the UK until PR comes through.

They can all get you PR, but they require different things to qualify and are suitable for different people for that reason.
Only you can decide which one suits your personal situation.

If you want to go over soon and take up a job, you have these two choices, I think - PNP route or LMO/TWP and FSW Cat 2.

As we have said, the benefit if PNP is that once you have applied and got your Provincial Nomination your application for PR using this as your 'ticket' can begin, you can stay in Canada and work until the PR decision is made.

Using the LMO/TWP route, you are at the whim of the HRSDC officer as to how long they give on the lMO and the Immigration Officer who issues the TWP. If you get 2 years, you might be OK, but if they only give you 1 year you will have to go through renewing the LMO, which is always a potential risk.

It is complicated, I know!
I hope I have explained it better this time.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true

When we applied in September 2010, we were told that FSW Cat 2 and PNP were taking about the same amount of time and that FSW Cat 2 would be done by the VO in 6 months.

I remember hearing after about 6 months that some people who applied for PNP at the same time as us had been granted their PR.
That was a bad day.

Now it seems that PNP IS genuinely taking as long as FSW, but instead of FSW having come down, PNP time has gone up.
PNP not having the LMO renewal issue is the most valuable thing about it.
The LMO renewal was a scary and tense wait for us both.
When you had got your new LMO did you apply to Vegreville for an extension to the work permit? If so have you had the new work permit yet? We're just thinking of starting the process as our TWP expires in May and you can guarantee our PR wont be through by then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.