Sequence of Events?

Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

OrangeChris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sequence of Events?

Hi All, my first post here.
I'm just looking for a little confirmation on what the process is for me (a brit) to marry my Canadian fiancee and move to Ontario, Canada.

We want to get married in canada, then do the spousal sponsorship dance and hopefully end up happy together as soon as possible in ontario. But i have a few questions on how things go and the sequence of events....

1. Is it correct that we don't need anything special (documentation-wise) to get married in canada? As i understand it, just passports and we get the certificate and get married?

Once we're married, she applies to be my sponsor.
2. Can she get this process started before we get married? Just to get it underway, or does it not work that way?

During the process, we have to prove our relationship is 'legit'.
3. How much proof/info do they need? We have no solid documentation of a bunch of visits here and there and a thousand skype conversations!

4. While the paperwork is being assesed, can she visit me in the UK, or should she stay in canada in case something comes up?

I think that's it for now.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Chris
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sequence of Events?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

No idea on number 1 (not married a Canadian), but hopefully others that have married in Ontario will be able to answer that one.

Originally Posted by OrangeChris
Once we're married, she applies to be my sponsor.
2. Can she get this process started before we get married? Just to get it underway, or does it not work that way?
Depends, have you lived together for a year or more? If so, and you can prove it, then she could apply to sponsor you as her common-law spouse and there is no need to get married at all for her to sponsor you. But if you haven't, then you do need to wait until you are married before you can apply.

During the process, we have to prove our relationship is 'legit'.
3. How much proof/info do they need? We have no solid documentation of a bunch of visits here and there and a thousand skype conversations!
If you are applying as common-law, you'd need more proof (to show you've lived together), but for a 'normal' marriage sponsorship, there is less proof required. What you've got is good, but the more you can provide, the better - do you have phone bills showing calls, photos of trips taken together, statements from family and friends, anything addressed to both of you (i.e. Christmas cards or wedding invitations)? Stuff like that would be good.

4. While the paperwork is being assesed, can she visit me in the UK, or should she stay in canada in case something comes up?
Just checking, but you know that you can stay in Canada (on a visitor visa) whilst your PR is processed, so there is no need to return to the UK unless you want/need to? Although of course you couldn't work in Canada until you get PR. But if you do return to the UK, then yes, she can visit you, and vice versa.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

No idea on number 1 (not married a Canadian), but hopefully others that have married in Ontario will be able to answer that one.

Depends, have you lived together for a year or more? If so, and you can prove it, then she could apply to sponsor you as her common-law spouse and there is no need to get married at all for her to sponsor you. But if you haven't, then you do need to wait until you are married before you can apply.

If you are applying as common-law, you'd need more proof (to show you've lived together), but for a 'normal' marriage sponsorship, there is less proof required. What you've got is good, but the more you can provide, the better - do you have phone bills showing calls, photos of trips taken together, statements from family and friends, anything addressed to both of you (i.e. Christmas cards or wedding invitations)? Stuff like that would be good.

Just checking, but you know that you can stay in Canada (on a visitor visa) whilst your PR is processed, so there is no need to return to the UK unless you want/need to? Although of course you couldn't work in Canada until you get PR. But if you do return to the UK, then yes, she can visit you, and vice versa.

HTH, good luck.
There is an additional step for marriage in Ontario if either party has a divorce outside Canada. See: http://www.ontario.ca/en/life_events...4.html#licence
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

OrangeChris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.
HTH, good luck.
Hi, thanks for the welcome and the reply

I thought i would have to be in the UK to apply and attend interviews/medicals that kind of stuff?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought i would have to be in the UK to apply and attend interviews/medicals that kind of stuff?
You can have your medical done anywhere in the world (as long as it's at a DMP - list on the CIC website).

If you did an 'inland' application then your interview would be in Canada anyway, but if you did an 'outland' application (preferable as it's soooo much quicker than inland), then yes, you'd have to return to the UK for an interview. Having said that, in all my time on this forum and 2 years of working in immigration, I've never known of anybody having to attend an interview for spousal sponsorship so hopefully it would be very unlikely you'd need to do that.

HTH.