Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

SamC10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Originally Posted by Rabbithole

oh that does suck!! Ours was very straight forward I have to admit, fingers crossed, you still have a bit of time. Where are you heading? Can you defer to January?
Headed to Mulmur to live with my parents, studying in Georgian College in Barrie. Gonna give it until the end of this month then will have to defer to Jan.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by SamC10
I was 18 the last time we left in 2007 and no my parents never did the paper work....just remained PR. Crazy I know. Would save us all this hassle now. They are back over there too applying for PR again.
1. One question, as you are/were a PR, have you renounced your PR status so you can apply for a study permit?

Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. One question, as you are/were a PR, have you renounced your PR status so you can apply for a study permit?
I had to renounce it two years back to visit my parents on holiday, they wouldn't issue me the ETA until I did. It wasn't valid anymore as I had been put the country for so long.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Now call me cynical or something else but Mmmmm I am an Immigration Officer looking over a study permit application and notice that you were a former PR of Canada for 15 years. You were 18 when you left and 2 years ago you renounced your PR status. You now wish to return to Canada to study and it appears that your parents still live in Canada and they are applying for PR status again. Do I see any red flags or cause for concern?
Old Jun 12th 2019, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Now call me cynical or something else but Mmmmm I am an Immigration Officer looking over a study permit application and notice that you were a former PR of Canada for 15 years. You were 18 when you left and 2 years ago you renounced your PR status. You now wish to return to Canada to study and it appears that your parents still live in Canada and they are applying for PR status again. Do I see any red flags or cause for concern?
I have been honest with them about it all. I wont be doing anything but putting into the economy. They have pgwp for a reason and a lot of people do apply for PR after studying. Plus I do want to study because it ismt worth me working right now with young children. Just have to hope. Just sad that living there for most of your life goes against you rather than for.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

lsac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crofty82
In case this benefits anyone else, we recently did our soft landing at Pearson and it couldn’t have gone quicker or more smoothly.

Well, that is apart from the 30-hour delay to our Air Transat flight from Manchester, but that’s obviously the airline’s fault. There’s another thread on this if anyone’s interested.

When we finally made it to Toronto it was around 6.30pm local time and we were directed to the machines to fill out our declarations along with most other passengers (NEXUS card holders were able to skip the machines). We selected ‘Emigrate’ as ‘purpose of visit and then followed the instructions, got the print out and headed to see the CBSA officers.

We were directed to ‘secondary’ and met by a young officer who asked if we had our COPRs and upon us saying that we had, took us through to process us. From there on it took about 20 minutes with the chap going through our paperwork, taking our address for the PR cards (some relatives had kindly let us use theirs) and getting us to sign everything, to getting our SINs from the Service Canada counter and being out to collect our bags.

The officer didn’t ask us any questions other than the the ones on the COPR (criminal convictions etc.). We had proof of funds with us but it turned out not to be needed. I asked if he could stamp our Goods to Follow list but he said we had to go to the counter for that, so he duly led us there and his colleague did that and filled in the relevant form.

We also had a Goods Accompanying list but he said he didn’t need to see it. So after months of researching and obsessing over this process, it was over in a flash. It was made all the more surreal by the booth next to ours being occupied by an Albanian traveller being given the third degree very loudly by another officer and him replying even louder. All in a day for a CBSA officer I expect.

Another thing worth pointing out is that a few days after landing we crossed the border into the USA for a short visit. Upon returning to Canada, as advised on here we showed our passports and COPRs (bearing in mind we obviously didn’t have PR cards) and that too was an extremely quick and painless process.
Hi Crofty82,
Have you received your PR cards? How long after you landed?
We plan to do a soft landing in October and then come back before we settle in a couple of months.
Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2019, 4:56 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lsac
Hi Crofty82,
Have you received your PR cards? How long after you landed?
We plan to do a soft landing in October and then come back before we settle in a couple of months.
Thanks
PR cards arrived to our relatives address in Canada approx 2 weeks after our soft landing date.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

lsac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Good luck with your move!