Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:46 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

In case this benefits anyone else, we recently did our soft landing at Pearson and it couldn’t have gone quicker or more smoothly.

Well, that is apart from the 30-hour delay to our Air Transat flight from Manchester, but that’s obviously the airline’s fault. There’s another thread on this if anyone’s interested.

When we finally made it to Toronto it was around 6.30pm local time and we were directed to the machines to fill out our declarations along with most other passengers (NEXUS card holders were able to skip the machines). We selected ‘Emigrate’ as ‘purpose of visit and then followed the instructions, got the print out and headed to see the CBSA officers.

We were directed to ‘secondary’ and met by a young officer who asked if we had our COPRs and upon us saying that we had, took us through to process us. From there on it took about 20 minutes with the chap going through our paperwork, taking our address for the PR cards (some relatives had kindly let us use theirs) and getting us to sign everything, to getting our SINs from the Service Canada counter and being out to collect our bags.

The officer didn’t ask us any questions other than the the ones on the COPR (criminal convictions etc.). We had proof of funds with us but it turned out not to be needed. I asked if he could stamp our Goods to Follow list but he said we had to go to the counter for that, so he duly led us there and his colleague did that and filled in the relevant form.

We also had a Goods Accompanying list but he said he didn’t need to see it. So after months of researching and obsessing over this process, it was over in a flash. It was made all the more surreal by the booth next to ours being occupied by an Albanian traveller being given the third degree very loudly by another officer and him replying even louder. All in a day for a CBSA officer I expect.

Another thing worth pointing out is that a few days after landing we crossed the border into the USA for a short visit. Upon returning to Canada, as advised on here we showed our passports and COPRs (bearing in mind we obviously didn’t have PR cards) and that too was an extremely quick and painless process.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:58 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019

Originally Posted by crofty82
In case this benefits anyone else, we recently did our soft landing at Pearson and it couldn’t have gone quicker or more smoothly.

Well, that is apart from the 30-hour delay to our Air Transat flight from Manchester, but that’s obviously the airline’s fault. There’s another thread on this if anyone’s interested.

When we finally made it to Toronto it was around 6.30pm local time and we were directed to the machines to fill out our declarations along with most other passengers (NEXUS card holders were able to skip the machines). We selected ‘Emigrate’ as ‘purpose of visit and then followed the instructions, got the print out and headed to see the CBSA officers.

We were directed to ‘secondary’ and met by a young officer who asked if we had our COPRs and upon us saying that we had, took us through to process us. From there on it took about 20 minutes with the chap going through our paperwork, taking our address for the PR cards (some relatives had kindly let us use theirs) and getting us to sign everything, to getting our SINs from the Service Canada counter and being out to collect our bags.

The officer didn’t ask us any questions other than the the ones on the COPR (criminal convictions etc.). We had proof of funds with us but it turned out not to be needed. I asked if he could stamp our Goods to Follow list but he said we had to go to the counter for that, so he duly led us there and his colleague did that and filled in the relevant form.

We also had a Goods Accompanying list but he said he didn’t need to see it. So after months of researching and obsessing over this process, it was over in a flash. It was made all the more surreal by the booth next to ours being occupied by an Albanian traveller being given the third degree very loudly by another officer and him replying even louder. All in a day for a CBSA officer I expect.

Another thing worth pointing out is that a few days after landing we crossed the border into the USA for a short visit. Upon returning to Canada, as advised on here we showed our passports and COPRs (bearing in mind we obviously didn’t have PR cards) and that too was an extremely quick and painless process.
I'm glad that you finally made it but a 30 hour delay??? I hope you've put a compensation claim in!
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and welcome to Canada!!

Do not lose your COPR's - keep them in a safe place !!! - you will need them for not only applying for Citizenship but also for Canada Pension and other things - the COPR is your official document showing that you are a Permanent Resident and must be kept.
Attached Thumbnails Landing experience - Toronto, May 2019-welcome_to_canada.jpg  
Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this post, we are a family of four landing at Pearson’s in just over two weeks. I’m now starting to over panic at what I need to take to the airport and what’s the process on landing 😂
Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:53 pm

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I'm glad that you finally made it but a 30 hour delay??? I hope you've put a compensation claim in!
Just got back to the UK yesterday and will start the process now. Under EU rules we are entitled to €600 each, plus whatever we can claim through our travel insurance.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congratulations and welcome to Canada!!

Do not lose your COPR's - keep them in a safe place !!! - you will need them for not only applying for Citizenship but also for Canada Pension and other things - the COPR is your official document showing that you are a Permanent Resident and must be kept.
Thanks Siouxie, yes our COPRs will be put away somewhere safe (probably my dad's house as ours will be going up for sale soon) and scanned in as well so we have digital copies.

Originally Posted by Rabbithole
Thanks for this post, we are a family of four landing at Pearson’s in just over two weeks. I’m now starting to over panic at what I need to take to the airport and what’s the process on landing 😂

Good luck, have your COPRs, GTF list with you and POF in case the officer you get decides to ask for it and you'll be fine. We have no kids and there was no queue so we were processed very quickly but I'd suggest some extra entertainment for the kids if you're not so lucky.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Just got back to the UK yesterday and will start the process now. Under EU rules we are entitled to €600 each, plus whatever we can claim through our travel insurance.

Thanks Siouxie, yes our COPRs will be put away somewhere safe (probably my dad's house as ours will be going up for sale soon) and scanned in as well so we have digital copies.

Good luck, have your COPRs, GTF list with you and POF in case the officer you get decides to ask for it and you'll be fine. We have no kids and there was no queue so we were processed very quickly but I'd suggest some extra entertainment for the kids if you're not so lucky.
this may sound a really silly question but do we have COPRs I’d we are travelling on a student visa? We arrive in just over 2 weeks and I have no idea what they are 🙈🙈
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:06 pm

this may sound a really silly question but do we have COPRs I’d we are travelling on a student visa? We arrive in just over 2 weeks and I have no idea what they are 🙈🙈
No idea, sorry. Hopefully one of the mods can tell you.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If travelling on a student visa that indicates you are coming to study and not becoming permanent residents so you aren't issued COPR forms (Confirmation Of Permanent Residence).
Old Jun 7th 2019, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If travelling on a student visa that indicates you are coming to study and not becoming permanent residents so you aren't issued COPR forms (Confirmation Of Permanent Residence).
perfect, we that’s one less thing for me to worry about 😂 thank you 😊
Old Jun 11th 2019, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

SamC10 is an unknown quantity at this point

perfect, we that’s one less thing for me to worry about 😂 thank you 😊
Can I please ask how long it took for you to get your study permit? I am in a similar position to you, applied for a study permit, mu husband a work permit and my 3 children to accompany. We have been waiting 17 weeks so far with no update. Seeing you recieved yours gives me hope! I tried to message you direct but it wouldnt let me as I have never posted before!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SamC10
Can I please ask how long it took for you to get your study permit? I am in a similar position to you, applied for a study permit, mu husband a work permit and my 3 children to accompany. We have been waiting 17 weeks so far with no update. Seeing you recieved yours gives me hope! I tried to message you direct but it wouldnt let me as I have never posted before!
Hi SamC

this is probably not the answer that you’re looking for but ours came back in 6 days. I sent all relevant information in mid February, it did state at the time a 50 day turnaround.

My husband will get an OWP when we arrive and our boys aged 6 & 2 will be accompanying us. Have you been checking your messages on the CIC website?

Fingers crossed it areives soon, when are you due to start?
Old Jun 11th 2019, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi SamC

this is probably not the answer that you’re looking for but ours came back in 6 days. I sent all relevant information in mid February, it did state at the time a 50 day turnaround.

My husband will get an OWP when we arrive and our boys aged 6 & 2 will be accompanying us. Have you been checking your messages on the CIC website?

Fingers crossed it areives soon, when are you due to start?
Check it every day and have sent numerous enquiries. It is stuck on additional verifications. I knew mine wouldn't be straight forward because I lived in Canada for 15 years when I was younger but my god never imagined it taking this long. 6 days is insane. Good for you and your family though I bet you are excited.
Due to start September so its pushing it cause of my husbands work notice. Going to have to defer soon.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Check it every day and have sent numerous enquiries. It is stuck on additional verifications. I knew mine wouldn't be straight forward because I lived in Canada for 15 years when I was younger but my god never imagined it taking this long. 6 days is insane. Good for you and your family though I bet you are excited.
Due to start September so its pushing it cause of my husbands work notice. Going to have to defer soon.
..and you never became a citizen?

Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

oh that does suck!! Ours was very straight forward I have to admit, fingers crossed, you still have a bit of time. Where are you heading? Can you defer to January?
Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
..and you never became a citizen?
I was 18 the last time we left in 2007 and no my parents never did the paper work....just remained PR. Crazy I know. Would save us all this hassle now. They are back over there too applying for PR again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.