Landing in Canada with COPR

Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Canada with COPR

Thanks Schnook and FL.

I hear you FL about her not needing a GTF list if she is just landing and not settling, but I also note the WIKI says that it might be prudent to have one nonetheless, just in case she is asked for it, so I was going down this road.

About the list, I think I may also be confusing myself here, and not asking the question properly, so bear with me! The 3 kids have never been there yet, so were never residents. In light of their ages, any one of them could travel to Canada independently in the future, with or without us, or not at all, but if/when they do, they will do so as citizens. Will they then submit their own GTF list too, just as PR landers do, and will they be exempt from duty and taxes etc?

I was there a number of times in the past (apart from being born there), but I always arrived and left with all my possessions in a few suitcases, so I never filed anything. Apart from the above, I have not been a Canadian resident in the past either, so the same query applies to my eventual arrival in Canada as a citizen, but a non-resident one.

But the more immediate issue for me is her GTF list, as she travels very soon. As she is travelling without me this time, I have to have everything prepared for her as much as possible, so I either don't do a GTF list for her (your tip FL) or I do one, just in case, and if I do, should it include all of OUR worldly possessions, ie, is it OK for her list to have all of our stuff too, for example 5 bicycles, three or four sets of golf clubs, a complete houseful of furniture, fixtures and fittings etc, and a classic motorbike - clearly NOT all her own stuff!

My preference would be not to bother with a GTF list at this time, as you say FL, but I would hate to lose out on any opportunity to avoid paying duty on our stuff at a later date.

Many thanks (I owe you a pint!)
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They might ask for it because the person with the COPR sometimes doesnt bother to tell the CBSA officer that they are not establishing a residence or its a brand new CBSA officer who doesn't know about this clause.

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...1-eng.html#_a4
This post of yours arrived while I was typing up my last one, sorry!

I think this means that we (not the wife) will be deemed as "settlers" in our own right, even with citizenship, whenever that date arrives, so we will do our own GTF lists at that time?

Thanks again (I owe you two pints now!)
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They might ask for it because the person with the COPR sometimes doesnt bother to tell the CBSA officer that they are not establishing a residence or its a brand new CBSA officer who doesn't know about this clause.

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...1-eng.html#_a4
We definitely said that we were not establishing residence yet, just landing, and that we would be establishing residence Summer 2013. They still wanted the GTF forms, stamped everything and all that.

All I'm saying to the OP is to bring the lists just in case, but it's likely they don't need it.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
Thanks Schnook and FL.

I hear you FL about her not needing a GTF list if she is just landing and not settling, but I also note the WIKI says that it might be prudent to have one nonetheless, just in case she is asked for it, so I was going down this road.

About the list, I think I may also be confusing myself here, and not asking the question properly, so bear with me! The 3 kids have never been there yet, so were never residents. In light of their ages, any one of them could travel to Canada independently in the future, with or without us, or not at all, but if/when they do, they will do so as citizens. Will they then submit their own GTF list too, just as PR landers do, and will they be exempt from duty and taxes etc?

I was there a number of times in the past (apart from being born there), but I always arrived and left with all my possessions in a few suitcases, so I never filed anything. Apart from the above, I have not been a Canadian resident in the past either, so the same query applies to my eventual arrival in Canada as a citizen, but a non-resident one.

But the more immediate issue for me is her GTF list, as she travels very soon. As she is travelling without me this time, I have to have everything prepared for her as much as possible, so I either don't do a GTF list for her (your tip FL) or I do one, just in case, and if I do, should it include all of OUR worldly possessions, ie, is it OK for her list to have all of our stuff too, for example 5 bicycles, three or four sets of golf clubs, a complete houseful of furniture, fixtures and fittings etc, and a classic motorbike - clearly NOT all her own stuff!

My preference would be not to bother with a GTF list at this time, as you say FL, but I would hate to lose out on any opportunity to avoid paying duty on our stuff at a later date.

Many thanks (I owe you a pint!)
As you have never lived in Canada you would not be treated as a former resident but treated as a settler well legally anyway. The only problem with having GTF lists stamped and then not residing here is that chances are you will accumulate more stuff in the UK and they wont be on the GTF list you produced. Your wife politely points out that when doing the landing she is not establishing a residence and that will be coming later with the rest of the family and that is when the GTF list will be submitted.
Thats how I as a BSO would deal with this however cant guarantee others would but the regulations permit this as per the link I provided.
Chances of taxes being asked for on used goods is NIL. CBSA only get upset when they find containers full of brand new never used stuff that dont meet the ownership, possession and use clause for former residents or settlers such as appliances, furniture etc etc.