Landing in Canada with COPR

Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:51 am
Just Joined

digitalfolder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in Canada with COPR

Hi, Guys

I got my copr last week and am looking to land in November
( I'm a UK Citizen ) it says on landing I have to create two lists of things I'm bringing into canada

I'm only coming with my clothes and my camera and computer no other items will follow.

Is there a link to these form's I need to print

do I need to list all my clothes?

Thxs
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Canada with COPR

Originally Posted by digitalfolder
Hi, Guys

I got my copr last week and am looking to land in November
( I'm a UK Citizen ) it says on landing I have to create two lists of things I'm bringing into canada

I'm only coming with my clothes and my camera and computer no other items will follow.

Is there a link to these form's I need to print

do I need to list all my clothes?

Thxs
Welcome to BE!

Congrats on getting your COPR too

Everything you need to know is in this wiki thread: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow although the links to the forms doesn't work - so here is one that does

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...res/b4-eng.pdf
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...laires/b4a.pdf (goods accompanying)

You can 'group' similar items together - "clothing" $800 etc.

Don't forget to jot down the serial numbers of any electrical items.

Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:15 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to fill out B4a before you get to the airport, you just need your GtF list. We didn't have anything else and sorted it all out at the airport.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

thanks guys

is there a total goods value limit on good's I'm bringing in?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:06 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - be generous when you're guessing. You can only import what's on that list, nothing else afterwards without facing fines.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Nope - be generous when you're guessing. You can only import what's on that list, nothing else afterwards without facing fines.
on form b4a

what do I put in for the doc no

and on b4 what address do I put as importers address? my uk address or the new canada address?

thanks
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

on form b4a

what do I put in for the doc no

and on b4 what address do I put as importers address? my uk address or the new canada address?

thanks
Ignore filling out the B4 that will be done for you when you arrive. I know some people like to fill it out ahead of time but then this causes several questions to be asked like you are doing now
CBSA will fill out the B4 for you.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

how about the doc number
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:10 pm
Concierge

We didn't fill out B4, we let the customs guy do it - way simpler!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

how about the doc number
Again another question why not just let CBSA fill it out for you?
The document number is for CBSA use only so nobody would ever know that number. The address is your Canadian address.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but it's not THAT old, and our circumstances are similar, and I have a simple enough question.

Background again: My wife is landing in about 10 days to activate her PR. She will not be settling at that time, but will return a week later, indefinitely for the moment. I have read the Wiki links (thanks Siouxie) and your always helpful comments FL (thanks too) and she will bring the two required lists, in case she is asked for the GTF list.

As my wife is the only non-Canadian-citizen/PR (our 3 kids and I are Canadian citizens), is it appropriate for her to include all of our collective belongings, or should any one or each of us have our own GTF list when we eventually arrive too? Her list will either include everything that a family of five would acquire over the last 25 years, and the rest of us arrive with nothing on a GTF list, or should we all have our own GTF list(s)? I should add that none of us will be travelling with her in 10 days time.

Many thanks
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:30 pm
Concierge

When you left Canada, did you file anything with the government to tell them what stuff you were removing from Canada? If so, then you are entitled to bring all that back.

Anything and everything else should be claimed by your wife. The GTF lists can be very broad, though, and generally the more broad you can make them the better! When we did ours, we just had broad categories like "linens", "clothes", etc, and then only itemised things like electronics and particularly expensive items (jewellery, etc).

HTH!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but it's not THAT old, and our circumstances are similar, and I have a simple enough question.

Background again: My wife is landing in about 10 days to activate her PR. She will not be settling at that time, but will return a week later, indefinitely for the moment. I have read the Wiki links (thanks Siouxie) and your always helpful comments FL (thanks too) and she will bring the two required lists, in case she is asked for the GTF list.

As my wife is the only non-Canadian-citizen/PR (our 3 kids and I are Canadian citizens), is it appropriate for her to include all of our collective belongings, or should any one or each of us have our own GTF list when we eventually arrive too? Her list will either include everything that a family of five would acquire over the last 25 years, and the rest of us arrive with nothing on a GTF list, or should we all have our own GTF list(s)? I should add that none of us will be travelling with her in 10 days time.

Many thanks
As she is not establishing a residence then no GTF is required. Im assuming you will all arrive together later and thats when you provide a GTF list.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As she is not establishing a residence then no GTF is required. Im assuming you will all arrive together later and thats when you provide a GTF list.
When my husband landed in December he was not establishing residence either, but was still asked for his GTF lists. Better safe than sorry.

(He actually only established residence at the beginning of this month.)
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
When my husband landed in December he was not establishing residence either, but was still asked for his GTF lists. Better safe than sorry.

(He actually only established residence at the beginning of this month.)
They might ask for it because the person with the COPR sometimes doesnt bother to tell the CBSA officer that they are not establishing a residence or its a brand new CBSA officer who doesn't know about this clause.

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...1-eng.html#_a4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.