Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old May 8th 2012, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Meialin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by wesbray
Hey guys, quite an urgent issue! I'm planning to cross the border in the next week or two for my 2nd year of IEC and have many questions that I could do with knowing the answer to!

1) Where is the best place to cross in southern Alberta?
2) Are there limited hours for immigration on both sides?
3) Is there any other way I can do it than the 12 hour drive/expensive flight down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have no idea about the hours or regulations but I'm hoping to drive down from Calgary across the border near Lethbridge. I think that's the name of the place, my boyfriend has family in a small village there called Glenwood so we're just going to stop in and then keep driving south. Your best bet is to call the free immigration number they have pretty sensible information and they can tell you what is best.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

wesbray is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, do you have the number?
Old May 8th 2012, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

The opening times etc are pretty important as I live in Grande Prairie which is quite a long way from there. Unless anyone knows a better place to cross?
Old May 8th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

here's the information number - 1-888-242‑2100
Old May 8th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techy2487
Nice country or not, there's no excuse for how badly this visa process is operated.

It's pathetic.
Also you gotta understand that this is a fairly new operation, last 3 years really. And yes, it was handled by a different office in France originally.

There is always the option to pay the premium for BUNAC to handle your application, or why not try going to the states for the same type of visa? Then you'll appreciate the IEC program more lol.

It is a painful process, as is waiting for anything, but you should get used to the idea of anything government/immigration related to be a long and tedious process. I was on some seriously strict deadlines when I applied for IEC visas and I feel the stress/anxiety/frustration, but coming to work in Canada isnt a right, but a privilege!

All that being said, when you all are here, you are going to LOVE it!

Met the girl of my dreams here and am trying to settle here! Most amazing country ever! Good luck with the process everyone, but be patient haha.

I'm more than happy to answer questions or PMs about life and options in Canada as a fellow IEC-er
Old May 8th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meialin
here's the information number - 1-888-242‑2100
Press 0 three times for an operator (it doesnt give you the option) You might be able to find the answer online/through the menu options on the phone though.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wesbray
The opening times etc are pretty important as I live in Grande Prairie which is quite a long way from there. Unless anyone knows a better place to cross?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ings#section_1

Good luck! Remember to be polite to the officers on duty, P's & Q's really become useful at border crossings lol
Old May 8th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

My boyfriend and I just started looking at routes for the border hop and thought I would share some odd findings here. From Calgary it is cheaper to drive across the border than it is to fly to Vancouver and head to Seattle. If you do want to fly though head straight to Seattle because that is cheaper than the flight to Vancouver as well. It's interesting to me as you stop over in Vancouver anyway :P

Planning your route seems to be a very good idea as the prices are just insane and have no logic to them.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

af1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

The program participation fee will be refunded if:

your application for a work permit is refused by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
the quota for participation in International Experience Canada for this is year is full; or
you voluntarily withdraw your application before Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues your Letter of Introduction.

You guys sure a VISA's reserved for you after NOR?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by af1987
The program participation fee will be refunded if:

your application for a work permit is refused by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
the quota for participation in International Experience Canada for this is year is full; or
you voluntarily withdraw your application before Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues your Letter of Introduction.

You guys sure a VISA's reserved for you after NOR?
I'm not sure if it's certain here but it's a very strongly held hope. The system used to be that you would pay as you apply according to a form I read last year, I think they just haven't updated the website.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by conjonway
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ings#section_1

Good luck! Remember to be polite to the officers on duty, P's & Q's really become useful at border crossings lol
Thanks, from what i've seen though some borders seem to operate "immigration" at differing times, just wondered if that would pose an issue?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

jehst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bfresh21
Im in the same situation as you! How do you plan on activating the new IEC visa once you get the LOI? Will you travel down to the states then just come back up?
hey - i just got my LOI - THANK ****

I am in Vancouver, with no vehicle. So tomorrow morning I will take a train to Bellingham and back (first stop across the US border).
On my way back through the Pacific Station in Vancouver is where I will meet the Immigration. I am planning on asking the officials on the way through if they can deal with me immediately or do I actually have to leave the country - but the return ticket is only $28 and 4 hours journey time in total (with free wifi on train).
Old May 8th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

LOI came through at 1:03am today!

For the benefit of others who're still waiting, this was my timeline:

22/02 Arrives at High Commission via Special Delivery
16/03 Acknowledgement of receipt
18/04 Conditional Acceptance/Payment request (Paid within 1 hour from my Lloyds account via online banking + sent IMM1295 same day)
23/04 Payment accepted/Sent to visa section
09/05, 01:03am: LOI arrives!

I'm doing a master's degree, have all my essays due in a few days which was really getting me down but this has proper uplifted my mood! Good luck to everyone!!!
Old May 8th 2012, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

japanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant future

Please have a read, if you like this article please read on.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2291668

A lot of the stress would be relieved if the Whistler Chamber of Commerce is successful with their initiative similar to the one they succeeded with in 2007. Brits could potentially enjoy the privileges that Aussies are currently given with their WH program. Please join this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/278353012258605/

Let's support the Whistler Chamber of Commerce's initiative to convince the federal government to expand one-year work visas for temporary foreign workers to two years for nationals from New Zealand, the U.K., South Korea, the Czech Republic and Japan.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Stewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Had my paperwork signed for on the 16th of April but still not had a reciept email....seems to random that other applying after have received theres, i thought it was done on a first come first served basis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.