Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Wikiposts

Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Originally Posted by Bloc75
Ok so I would have to pay upfront and hope that it gets passed. Lots can happen in 4 years and it could all be for nothing. World moves at such a snails pace.
Worth noting that if you fail at the first hurdle you get your fees back, and if you cancel your application at any time before processing commences you also get a refund. That said, the fees are a drop in the ocean when it comes to the tens of thousands you'll spend on emigrating, so maybe worth paying for PR?

Alternatively, you could always job hunt and see what happens, you may just get lucky and find a job straight away.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Bloc75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Worth noting that if you fail at the first hurdle you get your fees back, and if you cancel your application at any time before processing commences you also get a refund. That said, the fees are a drop in the ocean when it comes to the tens of thousands you'll spend on emigrating, so maybe worth paying for PR?

Alternatively, you could always job hunt and see what happens, you may just get lucky and find a job straight away.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
To talk about the alternative there a mo, are you saying if I job hunt, find a job, I can basically come over without having to go through the PR waiting?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:57 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

not quite that simple, the employer needs to apply for an LMO for you and some dont want to go through all that. But some do. You need to start networking anyway, the more people you meet the more your chances of getting a job increase.
Also, getting out there will be good for you. You can see it (again? -sorry cant recall if you have already been to where you are looking at and i cant see below) and a change of scenery is great when your life is tough emotionally.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:59 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so just re-read your first post here. You can be in Alberta with your friend again and put the world to rights with some beer and wings and you can build you network.
If an employer will go down the LMO route and you get that approved, you can work on a TWP whilst your PR ticks along in the background OR you can swop to a PNP scheme if your province supports that (I have no idea, but someone who does will let you know that bit)
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks, my friend in Alberta is going to look into it for me.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

judeyjudey is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new here and also just looking into the big move but just want to say good luck. I know how it feels to have your marriage end and it's a dark time. Time for a new chapter in your life though. Follow your heart. I wish you all the best and I'll keep an eye out for updates
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?

How long did it take before you got it?
How much did it cost you?
What was your skill?

You see mine is a skill that can be outsourced to anywhere in the world.

I can run a self-employed business, and possibly look at hiring Canadians to work with me, but I don't believe that is easy either.

I'm trying to be positive, just can't catch a break.
Hi there, I have no special skills. I'm just an average numpty who did an exploritory visit in Manitoba 2 years ago. We arranged some meetings with potential employers whilst here and met one in particular who was happy to go down the LMO route. That took a year to sort and today is our 1 year Cannivesary (see 1 Year On The Prairies).
We found that potential employers over here love to meet people face to face, they are quite old fashioned like that. Chances are if you just send out your CV then it will get no reply.
Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by judeyjudey
I am new here and also just looking into the big move but just want to say good luck. I know how it feels to have your marriage end and it's a dark time. Time for a new chapter in your life though. Follow your heart. I wish you all the best and I'll keep an eye out for updates
I have lots and lots to think about now. First job though is getting somewhere to live here in the UK temporarily for me and my cats.

I am also seriously considering entering the London Marathon too.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

judeyjudey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lots and lots to think about now. First job though is getting somewhere to live here in the UK temporarily for me and my cats.

I am also seriously considering entering the London Marathon too.
I have entered the Disneyworld Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon, if I can do that, you can do the London Marathon....go for it
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by judeyjudey
I have entered the Disneyworld Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon, if I can do that, you can do the London Marathon....go for it
I think I have to.

I need to do what I can do to get through it.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

There is a user on here called Nibs. Send him a PM and see if he can help you with some contacts - I am sure he works in a similar field to you - he's a good guy - he's been round to mine for a few beers. Am sure if he can help you he will.

PM is "personal message" look for his user name and click - send a personal message.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You have recieved some great info on the immigration part - now I'll ve you some on the personal part.

Moving to another country is super stressful. I honestly believe that if you had moved with your wife, if the relationship wasn't strong when you got here, it would have ripped it apart for sure.

One blessing (if you can even say that at this time) is that at least you are in the UK right now with friends and family to support you. And you can focus on moving to take your mind a little bit off the hurt you must be feeling.

Imagine if you had broken up when you had been in Canada???? No friends / support / anything to look forward to???

If there is no hope reconciling, then whilst you must hurt terribly, you cannot change someone elses feelings, you can only change how you feel and react to a situation. So cowboy up, and do something for you. If that means running away to Canada then f**k it, run away. Who knows - it might be the best thing you ever did.

I'll now hand back to the experts to help you with your escape plan. Best of luck
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You have recieved some great info on the immigration part - now I'll ve you some on the personal part.

Moving to another country is super stressful. I honestly believe that if you had moved with your wife, if the relationship wasn't strong when you got here, it would have ripped it apart for sure.

One blessing (if you can even say that at this time) is that at least you are in the UK right now with friends and family to support you. And you can focus on moving to take your mind a little bit off the hurt you must be feeling.

Imagine if you had broken up when you had been in Canada???? No friends / support / anything to look forward to???

If there is no hope reconciling, then whilst you must hurt terribly, you cannot change someone elses feelings, you can only change how you feel and react to a situation. So cowboy up, and do something for you. If that means running away to Canada then f**k it, run away. Who knows - it might be the best thing you ever did.

I'll now hand back to the experts to help you with your escape plan. Best of luck
I am hurting, I'm also scared that at 37 I am on the scrap heap.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:47 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

pffft if I'd have thought like that I'd have thrown in the towel.

At 37 I moved to Canada with my now ex - and got dumped when we were here.

The way I looked at things and still do is that no one wants to be around someone that is a miserable poor old me f****r. Period.

You might hurt inside but projecting that to all around will only serve its "I want love and sympathy" purpose for so long. Do you want people to like you for you or because they feel sorry for you - because eventually you become an emotional drain on them and viola - you have no one around cos no one wants to be around you.

Sorry to sound harsh but you seriously have to put on that big brave face and decide what you want out of life and then go for it.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
pffft if I'd have thought like that I'd have thrown in the towel.

At 37 I moved to Canada with my now ex - and got dumped when we were here.

The way I looked at things and still do is that no one wants to be around someone that is a miserable poor old me f****r. Period.

You might hurt inside but projecting that to all around will only serve its "I want love and sympathy" purpose for so long. Do you want people to like you for you or because they feel sorry for you - because eventually you become an emotional drain on them and viola - you have no one around cos no one wants to be around you.

Sorry to sound harsh but you seriously have to put on that big brave face and decide what you want out of life and then go for it.
I know I know. I'm trying to put a brave face on things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.