Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Bloc75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

Hi,

I've had desires to move to Canada for a long time, even with my ex-wife. However it was always going to be difficult to do, and now it turns out she wanted to do it to see if we could save the marriage, something I didn't know at the time.

My best friend from childhood is in Alberta and we visited last summer and loved it, well I did anyway.

So having spent the past week in personal hell I am trying to rebuild my life.

Not looking to run away to Canada, but I feel I owe it to myself to do something that I want to do.

Now the problems start with all the difficulties in actually moving to Canada.

I have a degree in Business and Media, and I am a professional Web Designer. I do know that there isn't much demand for people like me, so many of the programmes are not open to me.

There is also the issue of my age, I am 36 so I can't get working visa can I?

If there is anyone out there who can offer advice, perhaps know of any positions in Web Design in the Lethbridge area. That would be great.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heartbroken Man Looking For A New Life

I got my work visa when I was 45. Started work on my 46th! Your age isn't an issue.
Good luck....
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Seriously?

How long did it take before you got it?
How much did it cost you?
What was your skill?

You see mine is a skill that can be outsourced to anywhere in the world.

I can run a self-employed business, and possibly look at hiring Canadians to work with me, but I don't believe that is easy either.

I'm trying to be positive, just can't catch a break.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

There are different routes you can take. Suggest sitting down with a coffee and reading the wiki above
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

i know it wont be easy, i'll have a look at the wiki.

I'm a broken man at the moment, just need to motivate myself.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:55 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

There are many ways in, as already suggested take a look at the wiki, get a cup of tea (and a slice of cake!) and do some reading. Be kind to yourself right now, this is no doubt a tough time
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Yep its horrible.

Thanks for your support.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Have a read of this thread too - and the link PMM posted in the first post.

Gives you an idea of upcoming changes to the Federal Skilled Worker route.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768689
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:22 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bloc75
Yep its horrible.

Thanks for your support.
There's a whole new country waiting for you out there Bloc.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

alidew is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear about your circumstances, but good on you being proactive ! Why don't you start by googling web developer companies in Lethbridge and take it from there ? Even if they have no vacancies advertised, they may be happy to see a sample of your work, maybe employ you on a contractor basis, which could be a way in for a visa. Good luck !
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Presume you know that there is a Self Employed class of visa, which would get you PR without needing a job offer? If you meet the criteria (i.e. have been self employed at least 2 years out of the previous 5, have enough points etc), that would be a great option for you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siphorous
Have a read of this thread too - and the link PMM posted in the first post.

Gives you an idea of upcoming changes to the Federal Skilled Worker route.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768689
Thanks I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by Zen10
There's a whole new country waiting for you out there Bloc.
Indeed, Bloc isn't my name by the way.

Originally Posted by alidew
sorry to hear about your circumstances, but good on you being proactive ! Why don't you start by googling web developer companies in Lethbridge and take it from there ? Even if they have no vacancies advertised, they may be happy to see a sample of your work, maybe employ you on a contractor basis, which could be a way in for a visa. Good luck !
Yeah I've researched some of them, none of them have blown me away, but then I was looking with a negative mindset. I haven't cried today, so I think I am making progress.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presume you know that there is a Self Employed class of visa, which would get you PR without needing a job offer? If you meet the criteria (i.e. have been self employed at least 2 years out of the previous 5, have enough points etc), that would be a great option for you.

Good luck.
Yeah I looked at that, but I believe it has been cancelled.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I looked at that, but I believe it has been cancelled.
Really? Can you provide a link please?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:07 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, Bloc isn't my name by the way.

Just your username
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really? Can you provide a link please?
Hmm, not sure where I saw it now.

This link doesn't say its cancelled, but it does say I have to run a farm. Which is odd.

My business is Web Design, I won't be a farmer, got zero experience in farming.

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/working-in.aspx

By the way, is it possible to form a business partnership with someone who is based in Canada, and move like that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.