Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

Originally Posted by mapleleaf1000
Thanks, this wiki is exactly the reminder I needed. As long as the tech pilot extends again due to covid, I'm going to get out to BC/Alberta in summer for a couple of months and network away!

I put where I saw the NOC in demand on my above reply. I realise the chances are slim but given they were sending notifications of interest to those with CRS just above 300 I'd hope my 458 might give me some hope. It really does seem like if you're already there/have family there it's easy, but otherwise getting a legal toe in the door to work there is so hard!
The link you have given is the long range forecast to 2028 for employment opportunities, not for immigration - they are job market forecasts. The short range forecast for employment opportunities only has admin assistants as medium in demand for the next 3 years (see page 10) - it's been oversubscribed, unfortunately. Short-Term Employment Forecast > https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/6184...-2019-2021.pdf
I would doubt very much if you would get an invite for that, with no other ties to Alberta or a job offer, sorry, Admin Assistants are often expected to have a diploma or be certified in Canada, another hurdle.

I would concentrate on your other opportunities, where there is a will there's a way.. It's often said that in Canada it's not what you know, it's who you know - so making connections can make a difference to job opportunities. If you know people in the industry - or can reach out on LinkedIn or similar - it may be of use in networking towards finding a job offer that could improve your points.. the tech pilot could be the best way to go.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 9th 2021 at 5:27 am.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

mapleleaf1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The link you have given is the long range forecast to 2028 for employment opportunities, not for immigration - they are job market forecasts. The short range forecast for employment opportunities only has admin assistants as medium in demand for the next 3 years (see page 10) - it's been oversubscribed, unfortunately. Short-Term Employment Forecast > https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/6184...-2019-2021.pdf
I would doubt very much if you would get an invite for that, with no other ties to Alberta or a job offer, sorry, Admin Assistants are often expected to have a diploma or be certified in Canada, another hurdle.

I would concentrate on your other opportunities, where there is a will there's a way.. It's often said that in Canada it's not what you know, it's who you know - so making connections can make a difference to job opportunities. If you know people in the industry - or can reach out on LinkedIn or similar - it may be of use in networking towards finding a job offer that could improve your points.. the tech pilot could be the best way to go.
Thank you, I am putting my efforts into the BC Tech Pilot for sure.

When reaching out to connections, is it correct that I’m able to tell them that I will be eligible to work in Canada, once I receive a job offer under this program?

I can see on the FAQs link that a work permit support letter is granted but it doesn’t say anywhere how long it would take, do you know if this is something that gives you immediate clearance to work while you await the 2-3 month processing time? Or do you still need to wait 2-3 months and the work permit is only there to avoid the 6 month PR processing time? Sorry I can't find this info anywhere.

Basically I just want to have a crystal clear answer that I can give employers and not be unsure about when and if I could start working for them.! Thanks again. Adam
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It’s more than just having a job offer, the employer has to do all the necessary paperwork etc, so do look at the info online so you know what you need to do and can answer any questions from the employers. This is a useful page to send them - https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/3d...oyers.pdf.aspx

And once you know which stream you’d apply under, you can check the employer requirements for more info.

Processing time is generally around 12 weeks for nomination (which is when you’d get the work permit letter).

HTH.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one Bachelor’s Degree in Music Technology (3 year course)

I have one BTEC National Diploma Lvl 3 in Music Technology (2 year course)
I was caught out by this 'two degrees/diplomas' issue. I've got a Bachelors Degree and a Post Graduate Certificate, and my ECA came back as Bachelor Degree or equivalent. My understanding from going through this process, is that the second qualification (degree or diploma), must be higher than your degree and more than a year in duration (i.e. your BTEC is a pre-requisite of the Degree in theory, so is not considered as an additional qualification). So what they are looking for is a Degree + PG Diploma or more. Its basically a step below a Degree + Masters qualification.

Thanks,
Amy
Old Jan 17th 2021, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

mapleleaf1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amycakes
I was caught out by this 'two degrees/diplomas' issue. I've got a Bachelors Degree and a Post Graduate Certificate, and my ECA came back as Bachelor Degree or equivalent. My understanding from going through this process, is that the second qualification (degree or diploma), must be higher than your degree and more than a year in duration (i.e. your BTEC is a pre-requisite of the Degree in theory, so is not considered as an additional qualification). So what they are looking for is a Degree + PG Diploma or more. Its basically a step below a Degree + Masters qualification.

Thanks,
Amy
Thanks for sharing this Amy. I was unsure if this would be the case from other threads I've read, as saw others had scored points for BTECs. Heard it even depends if you use WES or CES etc. By the letter of their requirements I technically have two or more degrees/diplomas and one was at least 3 years or more, so does that mean that I cannot add my diploma whatsoever for any points? Such a shame as it cost a lot to request a BTEC copy and will add another month to process.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you will only know for sure once your ECA comes back. I was convinced I had 2 or more but it didn’t come back as expected. I also sent my A Levels (I guess equivalent to your BTEC).

Best of luck, try every Avenue!!!