Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

Old Jan 6th 2021, 1:34 am
Just Joined

mapleleaf1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

Hello everyone!

My chances of ITA hinge entirely on being able to select “Two or more degrees/diplomas…” to get enough CRS score for the Express Entry. So I’m just looking for reassurance before I take the financial plunge!

I have one Bachelor’s Degree in Music Technology (3 year course)

I have one BTEC National Diploma Lvl 3 in Music Technology (2 year course)

I’ve seen that as long as one of the two degrees/diplomas is 3 years+ then the duration of the other is not important, as long as it was completed. (as per official Canadian Immigration twitter response).

It also says on the CIC site that it doesn’t matter which way round they were completed.

Based on all this, I should be fine to select the option “Two or more degrees..” once I get my ECA back from WES?

Anything I should be concerned about In terms of getting the ECA I’d need? Any advice/help much appreciated!
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECA - WES "Two or more degrees/diplomas"

Hi, welcome to BE. Your ECA will tell you exactly what you can select, you shouldn’t pick it yourself in case CIC disagree with you when you come to apply for PR.

it sounds like you will be able to select 2 or more from what you’ve said though, but your ECA will confirm. When you get it back, you can use this tool to find the equivalent for points purposes on the CRS - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ad-report.html

What will you score if you did get that? And will you have a birthday anytime soon that will mean you'd lose points?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 6th 2021 at 10:33 am. Reason: Doh! Forgot about adaptability points, clearly not enough coffee before answering.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE. Your ECA will tell you exactly what you can select, you shouldn’t pick it yourself in case CIC disagree with you when you come to apply for PR.

it sounds like you will be able to select 2 or more from what you’ve said though, but your ECA will confirm. When you get it back, you can use this tool to find the equivalent for points purposes on the CRS -

Remember though that it's only 7 or 8 points difference, so even if you did only get points for a degree hopefully you'd still get an ITA. What will you score if you did get that? And will you have a birthday anytime soon that will mean you'd lose points?
Thanks a lot for this.

Regarding the points difference only being 8 points - I've used the CIC website CRS tool to check my score and if I select "Two or more" it gives me a CRS score of 458 but just selecting Bachelors degree it drops to 425. So it drops 8 points plus an additional 25, is this correct? It's in the Skill Transferability factors that it drops 25 as I show below.

When I select "Two or more degrees..." -

Skill transferability factors

Education (to a maximum of 50 points)
  • A) Official Language proficiency and education = 50
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 50

When I select Bachelors Degree only -

Skill transferability factors
Education (to a maximum of 50 points)
  • A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

I'm turning 32 in 10 days so I have resigned myself to losing points for this birthday, I know the scores are 468 or something right now but going to hope they drop to 450 region eventually. Thanks again for your advice.

Old Jan 6th 2021, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I edited my post - replied before I'd had my morning coffee and completely forgot about the adaptability points.

So you'll get 458, is that after your birthday? Or will your points drop further after next week? Happy Birthday in advance btw!

Points haven't dropped as low as 458 for over 18 months so not sure they'll be going that low again anytime soon, but all your can do is apply and see what happens. Do you have any way of getting your points up, any more IELTS points to be had for example?

And just checking, but what is your NOC code?

Old Jan 6th 2021, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I edited my post - replied before I'd had my morning coffee and completely forgot about the adaptability points.

So you'll get 458, is that after your birthday? Or will your points drop further after next week? Happy Birthday in advance btw!

Points haven't dropped as low as 458 for over 18 months so not sure they'll be going that low again anytime soon, but all your can do is apply and see what happens. Do you have any way of getting your points up, any more IELTS points to be had for example?

And just checking, but what is your NOC code?
Thanks, that makes sense now and yes the 458 already accounts for me turning another year older (I'd be at 463 right now).

My NOC is 5225 - Audio and video recording technicians, I have 4 years experience as a Sound Editor which is listed under NOC B.

My IELTS is already assuming I score max points in English, the only other way I can see is to get my French speaking up to CLB7 which gives me an additional 50 CRS points, but I'm still early in the process of seeing how achievable that is. CLB goes up to level 10 so maybe 7 could be attainable for a non-native speaker like me.

That is a long shot at this point but would give me a 487 CRS score even if worse case I don't get anything for "Two or more degrees". So my question would be, can I make an Express Entry profile with what I have now and if I later have French results to add to boost my score, is this possible?

Thanks for being realistic with you not seeing CRS scores coming down to 458 any time soon, I don't want to get my hopes up but I am happy to wait for a years worth of draws. I know it's all speculative but by summer the vaccine might mean the CRS comes down to this area. Pre-Covid world the scores were between 440-470 and I only need one draw low enough over a 12 month span.

I saw there were a few months with no FSW draws in 2020, so if they're back to two each month then fingers crossed CRS cutoff will trend lower in 2021!
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mapleleaf1000
My NOC is 5225 - Audio and video recording technicians, I have 4 years experience as a Sound Editor which is listed under NOC B.
Are you self-employed by any chance? If so, have you been so for at least 2 years?

My IELTS is already assuming I score max points in English, the only other way I can see is to get my French speaking up to CLB7 which gives me an additional 50 CRS points, but I'm still early in the process of seeing how achievable that is. CLB goes up to level 10 so maybe 7 could be attainable for a non-native speaker like me.
Depends on your current level. That would be about A Level/intermediate or higher, as a rough guide.

So my question would be, can I make an Express Entry profile with what I have now and if I later have French results to add to boost my score, is this possible?
Yes, absolutely. You can add things at a later date.

Thanks for being realistic with you not seeing CRS scores coming down to 458 any time soon, I don't want to get my hopes up but I am happy to wait for a years worth of draws. I know it's all speculative but by summer the vaccine might mean the CRS comes down to this area. Pre-Covid world the scores were between 440-470 and I only need one draw low enough over a 12 month span.
Last time they went to 458 or lower was summer 2019, so quite a while pre-covid. Definitely worth applying though if you don't have any other option, the lack of work permits granted this year may help, as there won't be many applying for PR with new Canadian work experience, so it's possible points may drop. And definitely worth begin in the pool just in case they do IMO. Another thing to try would be to job hunt once you've submitted your application, that may be a good Plan B.

Did you have a specific province in mind?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 8:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

BC Tech Pilot has NOC 5225 on the list!
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/0c...cupations.aspx
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot
explanation how the tech pilot works (opens in new tab, no download) https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2b...rkers.pdf.aspx
Job adverts for BC> https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/...s-list-content

Old Jan 6th 2021, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Are you self-employed by any chance? If so, have you been so for at least 2 years?

Depends on your current level. That would be about A Level/intermediate or higher, as a rough guide.

Yes, absolutely. You can add things at a later date.

Last time they went to 458 or lower was summer 2019, so quite a while pre-covid. Definitely worth applying though if you don't have any other option, the lack of work permits granted this year may help, as there won't be many applying for PR with new Canadian work experience, so it's possible points may drop. And definitely worth begin in the pool just in case they do IMO. Another thing to try would be to job hunt once you've submitted your application, that may be a good Plan B.

Did you have a specific province in mind?
Thank you very much. I was employed by a company for the duration of my skilled experience. I also have 2 years experience as as admin assistant which is an eligible NOC for Alberta, but heard PNP is a very hard route to take. I read into the French speaking option but looks like a massive undertaking for CLB7 even though I studied it, so will either have to try PNP or just wait it out for a CRS drop.

So if I set up an EE profile, would I use my NOC as an Audio professional or as an Admin assistant or do you just list all of your experience? I read I can combine my 2 years Admin exp with 4 years Audio exp to earn points for 3 years+, but would the Alberta PNP route mean I'd have to choose Admin as primary NOC, as that's the only one they'd possibly nominate for? Thanks for answering my questions, it's been a massive help so far.

Ideally I would work in BC where there is a strong film industry, but if going PNP route then Alberta nominate without a job offer, I just don't know the chances of a nomination.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this Siouxie, very interesting! This could definitely be my way in.

The only thing is that I'd need a job offer which was my catch 22 last year, I applied to 100's of film jobs and most have this on them, as do some in that job bank:

"Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application."

It does however say you get a work permit, so I guess I can now tell them I'd be authorized if they actually offer me the job!
Any tips on getting recruiters to consider people from overseas?!
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was employed by a company for the duration of my skilled experience.
Ah, that's a shame. I was thinking you may be eligible for the Self Employed Class as it's an eligible occupation for that, but not to worry.

I was employed by a company for the duration of my skilled experience. I also have 2 years experience as as admin assistant which is an eligible NOC for Alberta, but heard PNP is a very hard route to take.
It's no harder than EE if you meet the criteria. Some streams could be considered easier as you don't need IELTS/ECA etc for them.

So if I set up an EE profile, would I use my NOC as an Audio professional or as an Admin assistant or do you just list all of your experience?
Any 'skilled' job (NOC A, B or O) counts, so whatever you would prefer and will be easier to prove.

I read I can combine my 2 years Admin exp with 4 years Audio exp to earn points for 3 years+, but would the Alberta PNP route mean I'd have to choose Admin as primary NOC, as that's the only one they'd possibly nominate for?

Ideally I would work in BC where there is a strong film industry, but if going PNP route then Alberta nominate without a job offer, I just don't know the chances of a nomination.
Where are you reading that those in NOC 1214's don't require a job offer for the AINP program? Which stream are you looking at?

The only thing is that I'd need a job offer which was my catch 22 last year, I applied to 100's of film jobs and most have this on them, as do some in that job bank:

"Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application."

It does however say you get a work permit, so I guess I can now tell them I'd be authorized if they actually offer me the job!
Any tips on getting recruiters to consider people from overseas?!
How did you apply for these 100's of jobs? Did you get over there, or at the very least (if Covid didn't allow for that), did you pick up the phone? If you're just applying on the internet, that's where you're going wrong. Grab a cuppa and have a good read of the Wiki to understand how to go about finding a job offer in Canada.

HTH, good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2021, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Ah, that's a shame. I was thinking you may be eligible for the Self Employed Class as it's an eligible occupation for that, but not to worry.

It's no harder than EE if you meet the criteria. Some streams could be considered easier as you don't need IELTS/ECA etc for them.

Any 'skilled' job (NOC A, B or O) counts, so whatever you would prefer and will be easier to prove.

Where are you reading that those in NOC 1214's don't require a job offer for the AINP program? Which stream are you looking at?

How did you apply for these 100's of jobs? Did you get over there, or at the very least (if Covid didn't allow for that), did you pick up the phone? If you're just applying on the internet, that's where you're going wrong. Grab a cuppa and have a good read of the Wiki to understand how to go about finding a job offer in Canada.

HTH, good luck!
According to this link, a job offer is not required to be nominated in Alberta under the Express Entry scheme, only need one if you go through their other scheme:
https://www.alberta.ca/ainp-alberta-...ry-stream.aspx

I am therefore hoping that because NOC 1241 was in demand I could receive a nomination once they resume PNP for those abroad, currently they're only accepting those in Alberta due to the pandemic.

Thanks for you help with the wiki info, I will use Linked In & make some calls, I suppose before it seemed like a waste of time when I would've needed an LMIA. Hopefully they extend their tech pilot to the end of 2021 as I probably won't be able to fly to BC until this summer and it currently expires in June.

So my 3 options and plan of attack is:
1. BC Tech pilot scheme - get a permanent job offer
2. Potentially get notification of interest from Alberta once they resume PNP draws
3. Hope CRS scores fall to 458 for EE

Honestly thank you for all of your help, so far this really helped me get a direction with this. It's definitely overwhelming when you start out this process and try to avoid all the potential dead ends!
Old Jan 7th 2021, 8:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

According to this link, a job offer is not required to be nominated in Alberta under the Express Entry scheme, only need one if you go through their other scheme:

I am therefore hoping that because NOC 1241 was in demand I could receive a nomination once they resume PNP for those abroad, currently they're only accepting those in Alberta due to the pandemic.

Thanks for you help with the wiki info, I will use Linked In & make some calls, I suppose before it seemed like a waste of time when I would've needed an LMIA. Hopefully they extend their tech pilot to the end of 2021 as I probably won't be able to fly to BC until this summer and it currently expires in June.

2. Potentially get notification of interest from Alberta once they resume PNP draws

Honestly thank you for all of your help, so far this really helped me get a direction with this. It's definitely overwhelming when you start out this process and try to avoid all the potential dead ends!
Where did you see that NOC 1241 Administrative Assistant is 'in demand' - did you see it on the Alberta website or elsewhere? It's not a job that's is typically in demand.
https://www.alberta.ca/ainp-alberta-...igibility.aspx

Do read the wiki on job hunting.. most people have to be in Canada to secure a job unless they are in a 'headhunted' profession. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada
When you create your express entry profile make sure to select "all Provinces" if you may need to choose between Alberta and BC, if you put down one of them, you won't get any interest from any of the others.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 7th 2021 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, but those selected usually have a link with AB as set out in the AINP preferences i.e. they have a relative there, a job offer there, or are already working there. Your chances are slim without any of those IMO, but definitely worth a try.

I am therefore hoping that because NOC 1241 was in demand
As Siouxie has asked, where you are reading that? Given that AINP say that it's one of their most oversubscribed NOC's, that would imply the opposite?

Sound good. I'm sure one of those will work out for you. Out of interest (and feel free to ignore this question, it is just me being nosy!), if you're working in the film industry then why Canada and not the US?

Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Yes, but those selected usually have a link with AB as set out in the AINP preferences i.e. they have a relative there, a job offer there, or are already working there. Your chances are slim without any of those IMO, but definitely worth a try.

As Siouxie has asked, where you are reading that? Given that AINP say that it's one of their most oversubscribed NOC's, that would imply the opposite?

Sound good. I'm sure one of those will work out for you. Out of interest (and feel free to ignore this question, it is just me being nosy!), if you're working in the film industry then why Canada and not the US?
Thanks, I'll be sure to check "all provinces" on this list.

On the Alberta site here it projects a shortage of admin assistants over the next few years, (also surprised by this tbh) so I am hoping for a chance that they might sponsor this NOC at some stage:
https://www.alberta.ca/job-market-forecasts.aspx

On this site it says medium demand, so at least not low!
https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occu...ons-in-demand/

In answer to your question, I like the Canadian culture better than American. Plus Vancouver has a strong film industry, and I love the great outdoors so this beats LA any day for me!

If I hadn't waited a few extra years I'd have been able to get in so much more easily. I've so much more to offer at 32 than I did at 29 but they penalise you for it in the old CRS!
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Where did you see that NOC 1241 Administrative Assistant is 'in demand' - did you see it on the Alberta website or elsewhere? It's not a job that's is typically in demand.
https://www.alberta.ca/ainp-alberta-...igibility.aspx

Do read the wiki on job hunting.. most people have to be in Canada to secure a job unless they are in a 'headhunted' profession. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada
When you create your express entry profile make sure to select "all Provinces" if you may need to choose between Alberta and BC, if you put down one of them, you won't get any interest from any of the others.
Thanks, this wiki is exactly the reminder I needed. As long as the tech pilot extends again due to covid, I'm going to get out to BC/Alberta in summer for a couple of months and network away!

I put where I saw the NOC in demand on my above reply. I realise the chances are slim but given they were sending notifications of interest to those with CRS just above 300 I'd hope my 458 might give me some hope. It really does seem like if you're already there/have family there it's easy, but otherwise getting a legal toe in the door to work there is so hard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.