Criminal rehabilitation

Old Jul 10th 2016, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Linsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Criminal rehabilitation

We are about to submit an application for rehabilitation, we are doing through a lawyer.
Just wanted to know of stories good or bad with regards to rehab?
Are there any documents anybody would recommend we have? Although I think we have covered everything.
Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal rehabilitation

The only recommendation I can give you is to double check the offence committed against the Criminal Code of Canada:

CanLII - Criminal Code, RSC 1985, c C-46

and then compare that to the Immigration Regulations with regard to it and make sure that it qualifies for rehabilitation (check sentencing):

Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

Letters from people in an authoritive profession, who have known him for several years, confirming that he is a person 'in good standing' (character references) would be helpful.

Have you read over these posts? They might be useful.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...others-647159/ - pay particular attention also to this post within the thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...9/#post8335124
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...so-far-807627/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 10th 2016 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Linsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The only recommendation I can give you is to double check the offence committed against the Criminal Code of Canada:

CanLII - Criminal Code, RSC 1985, c C-46

and then compare that to the Immigration Regulations with regard to it and make sure that it qualifies for rehabilitation (check sentencing):

Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

Letters from people in an authoritive profession, who have known him for several years, confirming that he is a person 'in good standing' (character references) would be helpful.

Have you read over these posts? They might be useful.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...others-647159/ - pay particular attention also to this post within the thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...9/#post8335124
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...so-far-807627/

I am hoping our lawyers have checked the criminal codes correctly. We have 3 great references from a navy commodore, a police officer and his previous boss.
We have a solicitors letter stating his convictions are spent an many other documents to back it up.

I have read all the previous threads but just wondered if there were any more recent stories.
I know the rules at immigration change all the time.
Thanks for your comment 😀
Old Jul 10th 2016, 7:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linsey8287
I am hoping our lawyers have checked the criminal codes correctly. We have 3 great references from a navy commodore, a police officer and his previous boss.
We have a solicitors letter stating his convictions are spent an many other documents to back it up.

I have read all the previous threads but just wondered if there were any more recent stories.
I know the rules at immigration change all the time.
Thanks for your comment � ����
You are welcome

The reason I suggested the 2nd link (specific post) was because the OP had had his character references returned as they didn't mention knowledge of his conviction. You'll also need to make sure they knew him prior to the conviction as well as post.

I would check yourself as to the legal aspects - lawyers are all well and good but I've tripped a few of them up by doing my own research! It pays to have the knowledge for yourself, so you know what questions to ask and a good idea of what the answer 'should' be.

Best of luck anyway..

Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

I also did the rehabilitation process through a lawyer. If you are not sure about yours, I can give the details of mine, her job was outstanding and she was very thorough with everything. Sometimes I felt it was a pain in the ass as we had to redo the recommendation letters several times until she was happy.

Our process took 2 years to complete. This put a stop to our application for PR.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dasalcedo
I also did the rehabilitation process through a lawyer. If you are not sure about yours, I can give the details of mine, her job was outstanding and she was very thorough with everything. Sometimes I felt it was a pain in the ass as we had to redo the recommendation letters several times until she was happy.

Our process took 2 years to complete. This put a stop to our application for PR.
Do you remember why else you submitted other than references?
Our lawyer has asked for things which I can't get, because organisations have shut down. Or evidence of community involvement, which is impossible seen as my husband works away permanent. They keep using the term ...make do.....and I don't like that term. It needs to be the best it can.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2016, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

My lawyer also asked my for evidence of community involvement. I submitted a letter from the Church of the school I went to.

I had to send the criminal codes of my country in regards to my conviction so she could make a comparison with the criminal codes in Canada.

I did not understand what you said in the last part about "make do" can you explain it to me in plain English?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dasalcedo
My lawyer also asked my for evidence of community involvement. I submitted a letter from the Church of the school I went to.

I had to send the criminal codes of my country in regards to my conviction so she could make a comparison with the criminal codes in Canada.

I did not understand what you said in the last part about "make do" can you explain it to me in plain English?
1. To cause to exist or happen; bring about; create:
2. To bring into existence by shaping, modifying, or putting together material; construct:

I would be concerned if a lawyer asked me to do that!

Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

2. To bring into existence by shaping, modifying, or putting together material; construct:

Thanks Soiuxie, now I understand. I would also be very worried if my lawyer asked me to do that. Fortunately this did not happened to me.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say in Canadian English it's more "you'll have to go with what you have." i.e. If you have $50 to last the week you'll have to make do with only $50.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Sorry guys thought I had replied to the thread.
The lawyer used it in the term of.......well if you can't get the document then we will have to make do with what we have.
They have been very helpful to this point but I have had a few concerns with them this week alone. They asked for us to fill a form out for our travels for the last 5 years. I double checked online and found that these details are not needed for either our criminal rehab or the work permit. I brought it up with them and they got fairly defensive.
Obviously my aim is to submit the perfect application, it has been 6 months getting all the documents together so to say they will "make do" with them concerns me
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Linsey8287
Sorry guys thought I had replied to the thread.
The lawyer used it in the term of.......well if you can't get the document then we will have to make do with what we have.
They have been very helpful to this point but I have had a few concerns with them this week alone. They asked for us to fill a form out for our travels for the last 5 years. I double checked online and found that these details are not needed for either our criminal rehab or the work permit. I brought it up with them and they got fairly defensive.
Obviously my aim is to submit the perfect application, it has been 6 months getting all the documents together so to say they will "make do" with them concerns me
Well I did not have to fill a form for my travels but one for my background history which included my education, work and home since my 18 birthday.

Last edited by dasalcedo; Jul 15th 2016 at 12:08 pm.