Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal rehabilitation- my story so far.

Criminal rehabilitation- my story so far.

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Scotslad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal rehabilitation- my story so far.

Hi, I know this topic comes up regularly and I found out a lot of information on here. Unfortunately most people appear to come on here to ask questions and very few come back to give an update on how they got on so I've decided to share my experience so far and to try and help anyone who finds themselves in a similar position to me.
I'll be honest with the details of my convictions so you can feel free to judge me if you like but I'd ask if you could keep your opinions to yourself as i feel it won't add anything positive to the thread. I'll also keep it brief I won't go into other details of my possible move to Canada as I've got a lot of questions that I'll no doubt be seeking information on in other sections of this forum over the coming weeks/months.
Anyway here goes I'll start with my convictions then I'll state the process I went through with dates etc to help give an idea of the time scale involved.
2002 Assault to severe injury- 120 hrs community service.
2005 Vandalism- £150 fine
2006 Concerned in the supply of controlled drug commonly known as Ecstacy- £450 fine.
In November 2012 I applied to ACPO for a criminal record check and received it around 3 weeks later this would have been quicker but I somehow managed to send a letter from the bank as proof of address that didn't actually have my address on it.
Then in December I filled out the application for criminal rehabilitation form and sent it to High Commission of Canada having ticked the information only box.
I also included a letter outlining the details of my convictions and my change in personal circumstances since that time. I told them how I have held down full time employment since leaving school 15 years ago, started a family etc. I also said that although I was by no means a juvanile at the time and without trying to play down the seriousness of my convictions I was in many ways just a daft young boy. I printed out a copy of the UK Rehabilitation of offenders act and highlighted the section that explains that under British law my convictions are now considered spent.
I'm now pleased to say that on Saturday I received a letter in the post saying that I'm no longer considered inadmissible to Canada. It states that I ceased to be inadmissible after the expiry of the statutory British waiting period following the date of the offences. It also quotes the Burgon decision dated Feb 21 1991 and instructs me to make copies and guard this letter as its the only documentary evidence I will receive.
So that's my story. Obviously these details are specific to my case but I hope the information is usefull to anyone who like I was is struggling to read through the ins and outs of the criminal rehabilitation legislation.
As I said at the start I'll probably be returning to this forum over the coming weeks/months to pick the brains of the regular posters. I'm currently working my way through the excellent wiki section so thanks to anyone who is involved in putting that information together.

Cheers
Scotslad