CIC Citizenship timelines

Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Originally Posted by Dashie
We sent our applications in February, and still haven't been able to get to see the status online. DH called CIC yesterday and we were told that it would likely be another 8-9 months (15-16 months total) before it will even be sent to London, and unlikely that they will process it within 21 months, which is the current time on the website
Welcome to canada, goverment processing speeds are based on maple syrup flow rates in January

And it helps them get another squeeze on you by you needing to pay for another PR card

Last edited by MikeUK; Sep 26th 2012 at 2:18 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ollie3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cookie
We sat our Citizenship test this morning in Halifax. We passed Our ceremony will take place in approx 2-3 months.
Did they tell you whether you passed or did you work it out for yourself?

There doesn't seem to be a valid reason for the CIC not to tell people the result of their test on the day (or if requested), especially when you factor in the PR card issue. I had my test in August - my PR card expires soon, in November. It would be helpful to know whether I passed/failed so that I know whether to apply for a new PR card asap or simply wait for my citizenship to come through.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:49 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollie3
Did they tell you whether you passed or did you work it out for yourself?

There doesn't seem to be a valid reason for the CIC not to tell people the result of their test on the day (or if requested), especially when you factor in the PR card issue. I had my test in August - my PR card expires soon, in November. It would be helpful to know whether I passed/failed so that I know whether to apply for a new PR card asap or simply wait for my citizenship to come through.
We all got told we'd passed while sitting together in the waiting room prior to proceeding to the next step of going over our paperwork with an Immigration representative.

My PR card expires next month so I asked about that - I was told that I will only need my PR card if I need to leave the country and re-enter. We will be applying for Canadian passports as soon as we can. Both my son's UK passports expired last year
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

We all got told we'd passed while sitting together in the waiting room prior to proceeding to the next step of going over our paperwork with an Immigration representative.
We did it the other way around, they went over all the paperwork before the test. They didn't even check the answers on the day, so they couldn't have told us whether we'd passed.

My PR card expires next month so I asked about that - I was told that I will only need my PR card if I need to leave the country and re-enter. We will be applying for Canadian passports as soon as we can.
You have to hand in the PR card at the citizenship ceremony, so you'll want to get passports ASAP anyway .
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

I even phoned CIC to explain the imminent PR card expiry situation and was advised to apply for a new PR card. It's more cash for them, I suppose. The person I spoke to said they don't reveal your test result over the phone.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:33 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollie3
I even phoned CIC to explain the imminent PR card expiry situation and was advised to apply for a new PR card. It's more cash for them, I suppose. The person I spoke to said they don't reveal your test result over the phone.
The papers were marked there and then. They don't reveal your score but the young lady just quietly said "smile everyone, you've all passed".

The other representative told us it's up to us if we wanted to apply for a new PR card but it is not necessary unless travelling. Now, I may have to travel because my mum has multiple cancers and although she has just completed her treatment (I just spent 3 weeks back in Scotland with her) and is doing well but I cannot rule out she may take a turn for the worse. In the event I have to go home suddenly, I was advised to fly back the UK and contact the consulate for paperwork to allow me back into Canada (plus carry all my current paperwork with me too and also a letter from my employer stating how long I have worked for and that there is still a job held for me).

I asked how long a new PR card would take to process and the rep told me around 2-3 months. I should have gone through my citizenship ceremony by that time so there is no point.

Last edited by Cookie; Sep 26th 2012 at 11:41 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:34 am
Just Joined

intercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant futureintercooler has a brilliant future

i wish you all the best cookie; and hope that your mum get better as well. I will pray for you buddy....cheers matey
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

The papers were marked there and then. They don't reveal your score but the young lady just quietly said "smile everyone, you've all passed".

The other representative told us it's up to us if we wanted to apply for a new PR card but it is not necessary unless travelling. Now, I may have to travel because my mum has multiple cancers and although she has just completed her treatment (I just spent 3 weeks back in Scotland with her) and is doing well but I cannot rule out she may take a turn for the worse. In the event I have to go home suddenly, I was advised to fly back the UK and contact the consulate for paperwork to allow me back into Canada (plus carry all my current paperwork with me too and also a letter from my employer stating how long I have worked for and that there is still a job held for me).

I asked how long a new PR card would take to process and the rep told me around 2-3 months. I should have gone through my citizenship ceremony by that time so there is no point.

You're right, there's no point applying for a new PR card if the oath/PR dates more or less coincide. I'm sure there'd be no problem flying back to Canada as long as you've got some paperwork.

It would make more sense, and would certainly be more humane, if they told everyone on the day whether they've passed or not.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:28 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

I gained PR by end of 2007.
It expires January 2013, but I applied for Citizenship in April 2012 and was told it would take 7 months approx for the exam.
I popped into immigration yesterday to ask about renewing my PR in any case, $50 apparently, said I'd have no problem getting out of the country if it expires, would just not be able to get back in without it. I am going to renew mine anyway, it's inexpensive to do at this end. How long does renewal take

I like the online tests, am going to keep practicing as I do need to study more (it's been a case of read it twice, fell asleep, read it again once, but I need to read it more ongoing on a regular basis).

I like the sound of that dvd 'A peoples history' going to see if I can get it at the library first since they all interellate here and come from other branches if theirs doesn't have it and the dvd films and non fiction films range is vast and excellent to say the least, I don't go to video/dvd shops to rent any anymore.
Looking on the cbc website and on amazon.com was confusing, one was a set of 4 dvd's and another 2 sets, one a box of 4, another a box of 3, any ideas??

Update on that, I've managed to get it ordered at the local library, it's all on there, up to volume or episode 18!

Last edited by wonderwoman1st; Sep 28th 2012 at 6:37 pm. Reason: added more
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:54 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
It expires January 2013, but I applied for Citizenship in April 2012 and was told it would take 7 months approx for the exam.
I popped into immigration yesterday to ask about renewing my PR in any case, $50 apparently, said I'd have no problem getting out of the country if it expires, would just not be able to get back in without it. I am going to renew mine anyway, it's inexpensive to do at this end. How long does renewal take

I like the online tests, am going to keep practicing as I do need to study more (it's been a case of read it twice, fell asleep, read it again once, but I need to read it more ongoing on a regular basis).

I like the sound of that dvd 'A peoples history' going to see if I can get it at the library first since they all interellate here and come from other branches if theirs doesn't have it and the dvd films and non fiction films range is vast and excellent to say the least, I don't go to video/dvd shops to rent any anymore.
Looking on the cbc website and on amazon.com was confusing, one was a set of 4 dvd's and another 2 sets, one a box of 4, another a box of 3, any ideas??

Update on that, I've managed to get it ordered at the local library, it's all on there, up to volume or episode 18!
That's a fast processing time in the GTA. We had to wait 20 months for our test in Nova Scotia. In fact, they didn't start 'processing' ours until 10 months after they received our application!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice

I applied for citizenship about 1 month ago now. I still haven't received an email saying they received my application or that it's being processed. Is this normal?

Cheers.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Things seem to be almost stalled at CIC, that's the impression hubby got last week. When we applied in February, processing was officially 15 months, now it's 21 months... Maybe Toronto take 7 months from when they receive the paperwork from CIC? They likely won't get that for about 15 months from when you got the acknowledgement letter. So 22 months total, which sounds about right for what they said to us for London too.

I would definitely renew your PR card if there's any possibility that you might leave the country by a commercial carrier in the next couple of years. The processing times are linked to the main page of the CIC website.

As for not receiving an email. We've not received one, although you'll receive an acknowledgement letter and book to read which contains the answers to all of the test questions so don't lose it or throw it out No idea how long it could take to get that, they're not really very speedy at the moment. Did you sent your application by registered delivery? Might be worth checking that too.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dashie
Things seem to be almost stalled at CIC, that's the impression hubby got last week. When we applied in February, processing was officially 15 months, now it's 21 months... Maybe Toronto take 7 months from when they receive the paperwork from CIC? They likely won't get that for about 15 months from when you got the acknowledgement letter. So 22 months total, which sounds about right for what they said to us for London too.

I would definitely renew your PR card if there's any possibility that you might leave the country by a commercial carrier in the next couple of years. The processing times are linked to the main page of the CIC website.

As for not receiving an email. We've not received one, although you'll receive an acknowledgement letter and book to read which contains the answers to all of the test questions so don't lose it or throw it out No idea how long it could take to get that, they're not really very speedy at the moment. Did you sent your application by registered delivery? Might be worth checking that too.
Thanks, no I stupidly forgot to send it as recorded delivery. School boy error and I should know better by now... Lol. Fingers crossed they have it and I'll receive the book etc sometime.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

PzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nice

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
I popped into immigration yesterday to ask about renewing my PR in any case, $50 apparently, said I'd have no problem getting out of the country if it expires, would just not be able to get back in without it.
Don't you just love the poorly informed person in a position of power? None shall pass! I have spent so much time coming in and out of Canada without any permits or PR status, (which I now have as I live and work here permanently) just a British passport and a legitimate explanation of why I am travelling to Canada. Prior to my PR I never had to go to secondary at immigration coming into Canada in over 30 journeys, often for long stays. My Mum regularly comes over for 3 months at a time and doesn't even get questioned about where she is going other than to provide an address. My wife has even had the response from an immigration officer - "If you've got a receipt showing that you have applied (for an extension to her visa and work permit) that's all we need to see with an in date passport." I bet you don't hear one of the pen pushers saying that in Toronto/Halifax.

The whole small people with power over us mortals sometimes smacks of some
black comedy along the lines of the IT Crowd. Cower before me or I will rip up your application and laugh at you as you burst into flames --hahahahahahah! I am Jen the evil avenger of happy dreams. I can spell the word passport, do not challenge my authority, I have been to Buffalo and have seen the edge of the world. None shall pass...........

Sorry, rant over.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PzFus
Don't you just love the poorly informed person in a position of power? None shall pass! I have spent so much time coming in and out of Canada without any permits or PR status, (which I now have as I live and work here permanently) just a British passport and a legitimate explanation of why I am travelling to Canada. .
Don't people say the problem may be with the airline flying to Canada? Your mum would have a return ticket whereas you, presumably wouldn't. Apparently the airline might refuse to fly you at check-in if you don't have PR or citizenship and no return ticket. If you are refused entry into Canada, the airline may have to fly you back home at their expense.

It seems Air Canada isn't a problem but other carriers might be. It comes up on these threads quite often.

I have flown to Canada with two one way tickets (different airlines) and didn't have to show a return at check-in or Immigration either.

But other people have had problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.