CIC Citizenship timelines

Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default CIC Citizenship timelines

Just to keep other hopefuls updated:
I applied on 01MARCH2009, and heard back yesterday, virtually six months to the day, that it will take a further 12-15 months before they contact me. Wow, that IS a long time - so 18 months in total?
Only thing in my favour is that I'm a really old fart so won't need to do the test, so hopefully they can shoehorn my ceremony in somewhere quicker.
Unless you know better...

Last edited by Snave; Aug 28th 2009 at 3:07 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Originally Posted by Snave
I applied on 01MARCH2009, and heard back yesterday, virtually six months to the day, that it will take a further 12-15 months before they contact me. Wow, that IS a long time - so 18 months in total?
Only thing in my favour is that tI'm a really old fart so won't need to to the test, so hopefully they can shoehorn my ceremony in somewhere quicker.
Oh crap.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Oh crap.
FWIW I got the same letter when I applied for citizenship saying it would take a further 12-15 months, in fact I did the test 3 months later and the ceremony 1 or 2 months after that.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Applied for my citizenship at the end of October 2008 and took the test on August 12th this year so that part took almost 10 months.

Supposed to be about 1 to 2 months after the test for the ceremony part.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
FWIW I got the same letter when I applied for citizenship saying it would take a further 12-15 months, in fact I did the test 3 months later and the ceremony 1 or 2 months after that.
Ooh, thanks for sharing that. That's a little more positive. Covering the worst case scenario I guess. We are talking about Sydney NS too
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes. I need to get on this, PR card expires next October.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Ooohhh, I like that. Under promise, over deliver.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Ooh, thanks for sharing that. That's a little more positive. Covering the worst case scenario I guess. We are talking about Sydney NS too
I only applied after I'd decided to move back home so I was lucky that I ended up getting Citizenship 10 days before I left.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Marmite lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing in my favour is that I'm a really old fart so won't need to do the test, so hopefully they can shoehorn my ceremony in somewhere quicker.
So glad you said that I applied April 6th this year and since then have been worried that it got lost in the post. I shall hope in another month I too will hear back.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:53 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really annoying. Typical Canadian bureaucracy. You can't apply until you are eligible and then you have to wait more than a year to become a citizen, in that time you still can't vote, get legal aid, can't apply some government jobs, become Prime Minister, be refused entry to Kenya by a Canadian Official
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:22 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That's really annoying. Typical Canadian bureaucracy. You can't apply until you are eligible and then you have to wait more than a year to become a citizen, in that time you still can't vote, get legal aid, can't apply some government jobs, become Prime Minister, be refused entry to Kenya by a Canadian Official
Oh no you can go to Kenya, no one cares about that. Coming back, not so much...
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Oh no you can go to Kenya, no one cares about that. Coming back, not so much...
ah yes, very true. I thank you for the correction
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

here is my timeline (Nova Scotia)
citizenship application sent : Nov 18 , 2008
letter of acknowledgement received: April 20th , 2009 (5 months later)

since then I haven't heard anything, but they already said it would take 12-18 months.... so I am prepared for another wait.

I talked to somebody who works for CIC in Halifax about the process and she said that as soon as the application has been processed by CIC Sydney, which is the central processing facility for ALL applications, the files are being forwarded to the respective province for further processing and it depends on the province how long it takes to schedule the citizenship tests. In smaller provinces with less applicants and maybe only 1 citizenship judge, who has to travel around (Maritimes , etc.) it will take longer until they have a session organized, in places with more applicants it might not take as long, before they will contact you...

Last edited by woodworm; Aug 29th 2009 at 10:18 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I applied end of October 08, received confirmation of application about 5 months later, told I would wait another 12-15 months, received another letter 3 weeks ago telling me to go to the CIC office on Catherine for a test, did it last week (easy peasy, 20 multiple choice questions), so just waiting on being called for the 'dib dib dib I promise to be a good Canadian' ceremony now!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I think its bizarre that one friend who lives in Ottawa applied May last year, tested July and heard nothing since. My other friend who lives in London, Ont applied June last year and did the test in September and ceremony November!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.