Wikiposts

*** Immigration not a charity

Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** Immigration not a charity

Originally Posted by MarkG
How long do you think Canada can survive if it becomes nothing but a collection of ghettos full of people who can't even talk to each other?
Toronto does very well on that basis.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=James Martindale;6685703

Obviously everyone in this conversation knows Canada is a great place to live hence why so many of us are trying to get in.[/QUOTE]

I thought we were just here to quote John Cooper Clarke
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
I thought we were just here to quote John Cooper Clarke
I've got a brand new tracksuit, I've got the old one too.

When he was here he slept on the floor of a mate of mine. I learned a lot from that, I learned that people from Manchester could be alright.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

What British immigrants to Toronto, and perhaps other places in Canada, need to get their heads around is the fact that the UK is monocultural. Even London, even Bradford, has nothing like the diversity that Toronto has. The idea of places being no-go because everyone in that place speaks a non-English language is so forgotten here, people go to Little-wherever and blunder along with their three words of wherever-ish because they want the food, they want to enjoy the place; here you do have the world on your doorstep, what you don't have is a translation of it.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

desertbuddy will become famous soon enoughdesertbuddy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarkG
How long do you think Canada can survive if it becomes nothing but a collection of ghettos full of people who can't even talk to each other?

A 'booming economy' won't help the country much if the country itself falls apart.

We'll these so called people in the ghettos have been here for decades and have contributed to economy that made Vancouver (Toronto also) the most livable city in the world.
Did Canada collapsed? No.

You're scenario is born out of textbooks and not of reality on the grounds. Try the peking duck, samosas and curry and then tell me if the country will fall apart in the future.

Last edited by desertbuddy; Aug 16th 2008 at 6:02 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
What British immigrants to Toronto, and perhaps other places in Canada, need to get their heads around is the fact that the UK is monocultural. Even London, even Bradford, has nothing like the diversity that Toronto has. The idea of places being no-go because everyone in that place speaks a non-English language is so forgotten here, people go to Little-wherever and blunder along with their three words of wherever-ish because they want the food, they want to enjoy the place; here you do have the world on your doorstep, what you don't have is a translation of it.
Quite! the only real argument is that it would seem logical that terrorism might fester in places like that. The reality is our home grown terrorists have tended to be educated and apparently fully intergraded. So it does not follow at all, I know the area where the Crawley ones came from and it's hardly a ghetto. So it's a problem but stamping out their culture is not the answer.

Far from crazy pavements. the taste of silver spoons....
I saw mr Clarke in Blackburn in 1984 three days later he was in a lunch que in front of me off the Kings road, he was wearing the exact same clothes. He is still our greatest living poet.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
Quite! the only real argument is that it would seem logical that terrorism might fester in places like that. The reality is our home grown terrorists have tended to be educated and apparently fully intergraded. So it does not follow at all, I know the area where the Crawley ones came from and it's hardly a ghetto. So it's a problem but stamping out their culture is not the answer.

Far from crazy pavements. the taste of silver spoons....
I saw mr Clarke in Blackburn in 1984 three days later he was in a lunch que in front of me off the Kings road, he was wearing the exact same clothes. He is still our greatest living poet.
Alright I get the hint! I need to find out who John Cooper Clarke is?

Has anybody been watching the Olympics? Would all you people in Canada be able to tell me if they are actually going to win a medal or will Zimbabwe, Togo, Lithuania and Tajikistan all finish with more medals?

I standard corrected just watched Canada win a gold in the rowing!

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 17th 2008 at 12:06 am. Reason: Canada win gold in rowing
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Alright I get the hint! I need to find out who John Cooper Clarke is?

Has anybody been watching the Olympics? Would all you people in Canada be able to tell me if they are actually going to win a medal or will Zimbabwe, Togo, Lithuania and Tajikistan all finish with more medals?
Sorry had to squeeze that last post out I have been winding up my best Canadian friends all weekend. Serious mileage I am getting.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Something that needs saying, howing they seem to lump all immigrants in as not being able to speak English or French which isn't the case. The language isn't a barrier to all immigrants, and those who have English as a native language, or learnt from childhood and are fluent, seem (according to my anecdotal evidence) to do okay for themselves.
Hear hear. The bit about taxi drivers with Master's Degrees not being able to work because of their poor language skills? What the heck are they doing letting in people who can't even speak the lingo? Regardless of their impressive qualifications or family connections, surely everyone has to at least be fluent in English or French??

Hardly fair to all those who DO speak one of the official languages (and have skills or quals) but aren't lucky enough to have family out there (am assuming this is how they got in).

ps - double hear hear about them generalising - people who come in on job offers or who are intelligent, hard-working and educated should not be subject to these derogatory comments (just as not all Eastern Europeans who come to the UK are here to milk the system).