Wikiposts

*** Immigration not a charity

Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:14 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all
Default Re: *** Immigration not a charity

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
The way I see it - we wanted to move to Canada so we made the necessary changes in our lives to do it. WE wanted to come here - Canada has no responsibility to give us fantastic jobs, etc.

If someone is intelligent enough to get a medical or other high ranking degree, then I'm sorry, they are intelligent enough to learn a new language so they can get a job in Canada to utilise their skills. I don't see that as racist - they wanted to move to a new country, anyone who does that has to change in some way - if not, what's the point of moving?
yeah that!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely Steven Harper is unashamedly racist and anti-immigration, his background is in neo-conservatism. I don't think he'd see that as a criticism.

and it's bad enough with another race but f**k me a monster from outer space
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:18 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
If someone is intelligent enough to get a medical or other high ranking degree, then I'm sorry, they are intelligent enough to learn a new language so they can get a job in Canada to utilise their skills. I don't see that as racist - they wanted to move to a new country, anyone who does that has to change in some way - if not, what's the point of moving?
erm! i'm white, british born but have an ethnic background, i do have a 'high ranking degree' that i no longer use in my completely different 'job', and i have tried for years to learn both french and spanish.....and fail at every turn......Oh! and i'm moving to canada......accordingly, i must be stupid, ethnic and thick, right?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

maleabs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
erm! i'm white, british born but have an ethnic background, i do have a 'high ranking degree' that i no longer use in my completely different 'job', and i have tried for years to learn both french and spanish.....and fail at every turn......Oh! and i'm moving to canada......accordingly, i must be stupid, ethnic and thick, right?
I am a highly qualified IT Professional with very good level of both English (IELTS 7) and French (TEF 4-5) But it seems that canada needs people with less qualifications.

Damn it.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:11 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with that one. No one was calling anyone "thick," "ethnic" or "stupid."

You're moving to a place where you can speak the langauge anyway. If you were intending to move to France/French Canada or Spain then I would say you should learn the langauge. I suspect that being intelligent you would learn it quick enough if you lived the life. My parents have managed it in Spain & they're no spring chickens - it's all about integrating, as they have. If you integrate you'll learn but if you ghetto yourself you won't.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:30 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RN1
I think you got the wrong end of the stick with that one. No one was calling anyone "thick," "ethnic" or "stupid."

You're moving to a place where you can speak the langauge anyway. If you were intending to move to France/French Canada or Spain then I would say you should learn the langauge. I suspect that being intelligent you would learn it quick enough if you lived the life. My parents have managed it in Spain & they're no spring chickens - it's all about integrating, as they have. If you integrate you'll learn but if you ghetto yourself you won't.
But it's not the same in Canada. There are huge communities that operate almost entirely in languages other than English or French. If one chooses to live in one of these places, then they'll not suffer much if they don't speak one of the official languages. And they can still be happy contributors to the Canadian economy.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

desertbuddy will become famous soon enoughdesertbuddy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bazzz
But it's not the same in Canada. There are huge communities that operate almost entirely in languages other than English or French. If one chooses to live in one of these places, then they'll not suffer much if they don't speak one of the official languages. And they can still be happy contributors to the Canadian economy.

I agree bazz, and as a matter of fact, lots and lots of them do contribute to the economy even though they are not considered part (or what they call fully integrated)of country by some people here.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

There are huge communities that operate almost entirely in languages other than English or French. If one chooses to live in one of these places, then they'll not suffer much if they don't speak one of the official languages.
And that kind of ghettoization is a problem, not something that should be made worse.

I think it really comes down to two questions that have been raised here before:

1. Is Canada a nation or a hotel?
2. Is immigration intended to be a benefit to Canada as a nation, or a charity program?

You can't hold a nation together for long when the people can't communicate with each other and a sizable fraction of the population live in ghettos outside the majority culture; Canada has had enough problems just with two languages, let alone adding more. No rational government would deliberately make that worse; the only reason we have the current system is because it buys immigrant votes.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

desertbuddy will become famous soon enoughdesertbuddy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RayS
Am I being stupid or what? But if Canada's immigrant programs are to succeed then why dont they give priority to Anglophone & Francophone immigrants?

Judging by the desperate numbers of people on this forum alone, priority given to Brits, Ozzies, Kiwi's, French etc would go a long way to overcoming the problem.

And no I am not a racist folks (my wife of many years is from an ethnic minority but born here in the UK) but I am a realist when it comes to employment expectations and Canada's future financial needs.

Ray
Wake up, reality is that immigration to Canada is not all about the language in totality but other factors as well, that can/will help the immigrants contribute to the economy of the country. Look at those places considered ghettos by some civilized people here; where businesses are booming and contributing in part to the economy of the country.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desertbuddy
Look at those places considered ghettos by some civilized people here; where businesses are booming and contributing in part to the economy of the country.
How long do you think Canada can survive if it becomes nothing but a collection of ghettos full of people who can't even talk to each other?

A 'booming economy' won't help the country much if the country itself falls apart.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:08 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

two things.....

canada is made up completely from emmigrants and not that too distant a past either......

and the uk is having a major influx of immigrants from all parts of the world and tongues.....most do contribute to the uk ecconomy etc etc.....

unfortunatley, the uk does insist that at the school age level, that the 'english' learn to speak the different tongues so as to intergrate......personally i have an issue with this as when we move to canada, we will be trying to intergrate into the canadian way and not the other way around, where we expect 'them' to accept our tongue, culture, religion etc etc......actually, we will not have the 'challengies' that some cultures do experience; we're white for a start.......and we are coming over as full time, PNP'd, paid employment, tax paying, financially independant people........

i don't consider myself or any of my family as of any particular culture other than the 'human' kind.......i think that there is more important things in life to worry about than race, colour or creed.......russia's threatening to 'nuke' poland for f**k's sake......
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

russia's threatening to 'nuke' poland for f**k's sake......
Oh sh*t I missed that in the news, better warn my polish employee
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:35 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
And that kind of ghettoization is a problem, not something that should be made worse.
How's it a problem? Toronto and Vancouver seem to function pretty well. Vancouver is allegedly one of the most "liveable" cities in the world.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:45 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

How's it a problem? Toronto and Vancouver seem to function pretty well. Vancouver is allegedly one of the most "liveable" cities in the world.
Yes that is accurate according to United Nations Research that I have read. Indeed Toronto is regarded as the most multi-cultural city in the World and 12th best with regards to living. Vancouver is the best city in regards to living I do not know it's multi-cultural status.

Those stats might not be 100% accurate as they are redone every year.

Obviously everyone in this conversation knows Canada is a great place to live hence why so many of us are trying to get in.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
and it's bad enough with another race but f**k me a monster from outer space
<falls off stilleto heels, breaks ****in neck>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.