Wikiposts

*** Immigration not a charity

Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:37 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** Immigration not a charity

The way I see it - we wanted to move to Canada so we made the necessary changes in our lives to do it. WE wanted to come here - Canada has no responsibility to give us fantastic jobs, etc.

If someone is intelligent enough to get a medical or other high ranking degree, then I'm sorry, they are intelligent enough to learn a new language so they can get a job in Canada to utilise their skills. I don't see that as racist - they wanted to move to a new country, anyone who does that has to change in some way - if not, what's the point of moving?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:18 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If they are getting into a country based on their medical or high ranking degree because there is a skill shortage then it is in nobody's interests that their skills are wasted because they are wasting a visa allocation and the opportunity for someone to contribute effectively to Canada, aswell as ending up wasting their qualifications doing work that is demenial to them.

Bottomline it comes down to having a job before you go, it is the safest way forward for both parties= country and immigrant. The free/job market can select people by directly liaising with the immigrant.

A system where the government selects people based on points cheats both the country and the immigrant by misleading the immigrant into thinking their skills are required and ending up with a poor job and by misleading the country by not actually addressing the shortage effectively and safeguarding it's future.

Right I am going to get back to my day job. That is my vague attempt at intelligent output today.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
If they are getting into a country based on their medical or high ranking degree because there is a skill shortage then it is in nobody's interests that their skills are wasted because they are wasting a visa allocation and the opportunity for someone to contribute effectively to Canada, aswell as ending up wasting their qualifications doing work that is demenial to them.

Bottomline it comes down to having a job before you go, it is the safest way forward for both parties= country and immigrant. The free/job market can select people by directly liaising with the immigrant.

A system where the government selects people based on points cheats both the country and the immigrant by misleading the immigrant into thinking their skills are required and ending up with a poor job and by misleading the country by not actually addressing the shortage effectively and safeguarding it's future.

Right I am going to get back to my day job. That is my vague attempt at intelligent output today.
I agree with this but must point out that the most efficient labour market is the illegal one. Skilled tradesmen bypass the bureaucracy by simply turning up and starting work. I have come to the view that illegal immigrants are the most valuable immigrants (they can't use any government resources, must stay out of trouble with the law and need to keep working) but I know this view is not widely held.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:02 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inquiry
- I might be wrong however, I have heard that In Australia certain IGs can apply for PR right after their graduation without any work experience as they did major in certain subject which are in demand for their local economy.If Canada implements that wouldn't that be an opportunity for IS?
I already stated in an earlier reply to your post that BC PNP has for ages a program for international graduates and that other Provinces already introduced their international graduates PNP's or are catching up with similar programs. Majority of existing already PNP's for international graduates don't require any work experience, some just 6 months. Look here to read about several of existing programs:

http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...lgraduates.htm

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...graduates.html

http://www.nlpnp.ca/internationalgraduate.html

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/eng...NPstudents.asp

http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/Def...7-70a7366de4c4

http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1100.aspx

If you would stop looking into Australia and instead look into Canada then you may not be complaining the way you do.

In addition to PNP for international graduates we have in place for ages a post-grad work permit program (extended to 3 years lately) which also presents great PR opportunity for international students - after gaining minimum 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada they easy qualify for federal SW with arranged employment route.

And now, in addition to all of the above we have CEC.

Still not enough PR opportunities for international students?

If all students who want to remain in Canada would really go for it then there would be not a lot visa quotas left for anyone else.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 13th 2008 at 2:08 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
And maybe, just maybe, instead of picking up on my grammar you should pay attention to what you have in your signature. I found posting the link you promote as being more than distasteful and probably even offending to many.
I was going to say something about that website in his (bazzz) signature too. I happened to click the link the other day and I was disgusted to know the meaning of the word. I do not think it is appropriate to use that kind of website in BE forum.

I was also surprised that somebody would buy a domain name like that and host it and show it to the public and not feel shame about it.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mr. Miller for letting us know about your background. I congratulate you on your accomplishments in the US and Canada. Your family must be very proud of you.

Thanks for giving your valuable time to provide us FREE information regarding Canadian Immigration Systems. Keep up the good work.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:14 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Want2Move
I was going to say something about that website in his (bazzz) signature too. I happened to click the link the other day and I was disgusted to know the meaning of the word. I do not think it is appropriate to use that kind of website in BE forum.

I was also surprised that somebody would buy a domain name like that and host it and show it to the public and not feel shame about it.
Let me guess, you're a vegetarian?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RayS
Am I being stupid or what? But if Canada's immigrant programs are to succeed then why dont they give priority to Anglophone & Francophone immigrants?

Judging by the desperate numbers of people on this forum alone, priority given to Brits, Ozzies, Kiwi's, French etc would go a long way to overcoming the problem.

Ray

Totally agree with you!! (great post)
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RayS
Hmm, ... well Andrew it is also illegal in the European Community to discriminate on race, religeon, sex, age etc but that doesn't stop us trying to control unwanted immigration from the 3rd world and keep it largely to those applicants with the necessary skills and some appropriate language skills. I think I'm right in saying that Australia, New Zealand, USA etc try to operate similar criterior when approving immigrants?
Nobody seems to consider that these countries are being overtly racist so why should Canada be any different?
As other people on this thread have intimated and I will say is that Canada should decide what it wants, what's best for its future and give two fingers to the rest of the world!
Ray

I kinda agree with you Ray, although I think the problems are the same everywhere. I know of an instance (a friend of my Dad's) whose English born and bred (white) wife had to go for an English language test in London for immigration to NZ!! Can you believe that?

WTH?

There are plenty of immigrants from 3rd world countries living in NZ who can't even string a coherent sentance together and yet a born and bred native speaking English woman gets grilled for her own language.

The world's gone mad, or is just prejudiced against Brits. The ones who can't even speak English get ushered into British colonies whilst Brits have to go through the wringer.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarkG

The simple fact is that success in most 'professional' areas in an English-speaking nation is going to be highly correlated to ability to communicate in English. Obviously there are exceptions, particularly if you're working primarily with foreign clients, but in the majority of cases, if you can't speak English well (or French, if you live in that part of the country), you really can't complain if you end up driving a taxi; and bringing in large numbers of immigrants who will have to struggle to be successful while there are plenty of others queuing up from English or French speaking nations who could rapidly be productive is just playing politics with people's lives.

Exactly.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

timu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Elizabeth I;6681030]I kinda agree with you Ray, although I think the problems are the same everywhere. I know of an instance (a friend of my Dad's) whose English born and bred (white) wife had to go for an English language test in London for immigration to NZ!! Can you believe that?

its funny u guys leavin U.K for your formal colony and why is that?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=timu12;6681064]
Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I kinda agree with you Ray, although I think the problems are the same everywhere. I know of an instance (a friend of my Dad's) whose English born and bred (white) wife had to go for an English language test in London for immigration to NZ!! Can you believe that?

Why not?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

RayS is on a distinguished road

Hi Elizabeth,

I do believe your anecdote above - but its possible that the woman in question didn't "prove" her English language abilities by writing a simple letter explaining that she was born (of British parents), educated in the UK and brought up in a British home where English was the FIRST language. That's what I did for Canada (PR) and had no problems!

Ray
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

RayS is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=timu12;6681064]

Hi Timu

What's so funny about wanting to make a fresh start in a new country (in this case a "FORMER colony - whoops you probably failed the English test there!)
Isn't that what you're trying to do from another former British colony, maybe if we'd stayed in the former colony you might have wanted to stay too??
Ray
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:04 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bazzz
Seems you're not familiar with the official Canadian position on multiculturalism, or the reality in cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Are you sure you're migrating to the right country for you?

It's not a "language barrier" if everyone in the area speaks the same language.
I'm from london UK where right now you hardly hear English (& that incudes the indigenous population!!) However, it doesn't mean I think it's right or that the Govt should encourage it. Right now they are talking about language tests before giving out Visas & that to me is a good thing.

I disagree with your comment that it's not a language barrier because it is. It's also a barrier against you becoming a true part of society. If you leave your "ghetto" you are lost because outside that small area you won't be understood. It is a barrier to integration too -which any immigrant worth having should be trying to do. I hold nothing against people practising their religion or speaking their langauge at home or in their Temples/Churches/ whatever it's a right they deserve for being human but I do believe that they have a duty to learn the langauge & culture of their new country & to become a full, tax-paying citzen able to stand on their own 2 feet. You can't do that without knowing the langauge, period.

I'm not going to any of the cities you mentioned but even if I was it's not that I don't know it's like that it's just that I'm saying it shouldn't be because I don't think you should get a work permit/visa to migrate unless you can speak the language because how are you ever going to be able to truly become a part of your new country if you can't??

This is only my opinion (I'm aware it's not the case -I just think it should be) which I'm sure is shared by many & is probably one of the things the Australians have got right!

Last edited by RN1; Aug 15th 2008 at 5:10 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.