Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Snow - will it ever stop!

Snow - will it ever stop!

Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow - will it ever stop!

You can see from some of those photos that it is mainly down to bad road design as there is hardly any snow in the fields, it has all ended up on the road. If every road was planted with hedgerows they would stop the drifting. If they only had to cope with the snow that actually lands on the road I'm sure they would have managed to keep traffic moving.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how I love the British press

Britain 4 inches of snow Hungary 4 feet of snow I know which one I would bet would be cleared first.

focus on the T-72 battle tank just to add drama

so Britain stop complaining

cant help wonder where our army of snow ploughs and blowers are tanks police in comfy range rovers

personal story here I was once bumped off the motorway by an artic lorry and ended in a soft enbankment about 6ft from hard shoulder police came along in the starship range rover I had a 10 tonne tow pole in boot could I get a tow out of ditch NO "elf and safety" instead we wait 4 hours on hard shoulder sat in starship for a garage to come with same vehicle that pulls me back on to road
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:16 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
You can see from some of those photos that it is mainly down to bad road design as there is hardly any snow in the fields, it has all ended up on the road. If every road was planted with hedgerows they would stop the drifting. If they only had to cope with the snow that actually lands on the road I'm sure they would have managed to keep traffic moving.
Or snow fences Fib. Going to town yesterday, the fields had no snow at all and yet there were deep drifts and where the snow plough had been, there were walls of snow over 6 feet high - it was quite unnerving, like driving through a canyon with 6 feet walls of snow on either side. That said, I think this blizzard was particularly bad (global warming?) as even in Nagy roads were closed whilst others had 4 inch thick sheets of compacted snow - never seen that before.... Thankfully, by the time we left town, the sun had melted most of it and as temperatures are due to rise, it should all be gone in a couple of days.

Thanks for the link Fen.
Hope Cathy has made it to her new home
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Hedgerows are good for the planet though. They provide a habitat for birds and other wildlife as well as producing oxygen.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hedgerows are good for the planet though. They provide a habitat for birds and other wildlife as well as producing oxygen.
In an ideal world but unfortunately, I would imagine, snow fences would be a more economically viable option. However, thinking about it, I don't know whether either option would have made a great difference during the blizzard as even on heavily tree lined stretches of road, there were still drifts.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

My freshly painted white ceiling in the small bedroom is now covered in brown patches from snow that has blown in between the roof tiles, melted and soaked through the dirt floor of the loft
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

My freshly painted white ceiling in the small bedroom is now covered in brown patches from snow that has blown in between the roof tiles, melted and soaked through the dirt floor of the loft
You have my sympathies on this one!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

As a cheap fix if you have no plans to re-roof in the near future (and now that this particular horse has bolted at least once) you can put roofing felt vertically down between rafters, close to the underside of the tile battens and fixed to the rafters with tile battens. The only caution is that the felt must be led to the outside so that any rain / snow that is blown under the tiles is carried out and not dumped on to the top of the walls.
Of course if you still have the earth floor in the loft then apart from heating your tootsies you are also heating the stars.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:47 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

A family friend of ours of some age ( over 70 ) was up in the roof space clearing the snow before it melted & caused such damage. The wind was very bad.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
A family friend of ours of some age ( over 70 ) was up in the roof space clearing the snow before it melted & caused such damage. The wind was very bad.
Is it a common problem in Hungary for snow to get inside the house under the roof? Sorry if I sound daft but has this happened to anyone living in UK?

My father-in-law had to go up into the roof space to clear up snow which had got inside. He's over 70 too!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:48 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Is it a common problem in Hungary for snow to get inside the house under the roof? Sorry if I sound daft but has this happened to anyone living in UK?

My father-in-law had to go up into the roof space to clear up snow which had got inside. He's over 70 too!
Very common because roofs in older properties tend not to be felted. They are simply beams, batons and tiles - snow can easily be blown in through gaps in the tiles (especially during blizzard like conditions).
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Looks like the current UK weather is heading this way - more snow forecast Sun-Tues/Wed. Will make sure we stock up tomorrow though hopefully it will be nowhere near as bad as the recent blizzard!!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Looks like the current UK weather is heading this way - more snow forecast Sun-Tues/Wed. Will make sure we stock up tomorrow though hopefully it will be nowhere near as bad as the recent blizzard!!
And then its got to be the end of it....hopefully we will have an amazing summer
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

...after the April monsoons
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Had a little bit of snow earlier this morning but it only lasted 10 minutes. Think in Orpington, Kent, we will escape the worst of it.

Agree with Polgardi Hungary, hopefully, will have an amazing summer and the good news is I will be able to enjoy two weeks of it! <-- me in sun glasses!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.