Reload this Page >

Learning Hungarian

Learning Hungarian

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Location: We have a house in Fonyod, Hungary and one in Matlock, GB
Ettamogah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning Hungarian

At last I have found someone who teaches Hungarian to the English speaking. Had my first proper lesson last night, much better than trying to remember what I was told in the pub the previous evening. Her name is Ildi , she lives here in Fonyód and the cost is very reasonable.
If anyone is interested in taking lessons then contact me with your telephone number and I will pass it on to her so she can get in touch.

Last edited by Ettamogah; Apr 3rd 2010 at 10:16 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Learning Hungarian

How much is reasonable
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by klarika
How much is reasonable
Reasonable is not a fixed price, it depends on how much you value learning Hungarian and what arrangement you could possibly negotiate with Ildi, i.e. how many hours a week being taught on a one to one basis or for how many lessons. This is the reason I said to get in touch with me so I can pass on your contact details then you can discuss your requirments on a one to one basis and decide for yourself if you consider the cost reasonable.
As I said, I consider the cost very reasonable.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:44 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If the person teaching is a qualified teacher (ask at your local primary school as English is taught in all primary schools now and teachers salaries are extremely low so they most often welcome any extra income) , you shouldn't expect to pay more than 1000ft / hour. If it is an unqualified neighbour, most will help for next to nothing or a cup of tea and some company.
An alternative is online learning, there is an excellent free site which the children and I use, once you complete a section you can submit written and spoken exercises for correction by native Hungarian speakers. www.livemocha.com give it a try!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
If the person teaching is a qualified teacher (ask at your local primary school as English is taught in all primary schools now and teachers salaries are extremely low so they most often welcome any extra income) , you shouldn't expect to pay more than 1000ft / hour. If it is an unqualified neighbour, most will help for next to nothing or a cup of tea and some company.
An alternative is online learning, there is an excellent free site which the children and I use, once you complete a section you can submit written and spoken exercises for correction by native Hungarian speakers. www.livemocha.com give it a try!
Ah, an internet learning course. So much better than one on one tuition where your mistakes are pointed out immediately and with a language like this which is one of the most difficult for an older person to learn is most important. I personally feel that one to one tuition is far better than waiting for your homework being returned. Well, at least the internet course is free, could have saved myself some money. Wish I'd thought of that. Only trying to be of help.
Maybe you could give us some help in contacting these primary school teachers.
Is 1000fts per hour or a cup of tea too much to spend on your children?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:02 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ettamogah
Ah, an internet learning course. So much better than one on one tuition where your mistakes are pointed out immediately and with a language like this which is one of the most difficult for an older person to learn is most important.
Not entirley sure what has upset you, hopefully you were just having a bad day!
My post was in response to Klarika who, as far as I am aware, is still in Spain and therefore does not have access to local teachers. In fact, considering most users on this forum do not live in Huingary permenantley, the online course may prove useful. As you said, it is a difficult language and if you only have lessons when you are on holiday, you will never suceed and end up deciding it is impossible to learn, giving up before you begin.
As for primary teachers, you will find them in all primary schools, there is at least one who will speak English, our neighbour is a primary teacher and does all sorts of odd jobs to suppliment her income.

Is 1000fts per hour or a cup of tea too much to spend on your children?.
This I take offence at and would ask why you feel the need to involve my children in your sarcasm? Not that I have to explain myself, but as you have expressed an interest, we actually have a German couple who are wonderful neighbours and friends. They both studied at the Sorbonne and between them are fluent in 7 languages, including Hungarian. Sadly, due to the return of cancer, they have been back and forward to Germany for the past few months and we have used livemocha as a filler for when they are away. They charge 1500ft for two one hour lessons. Further, I teach English, for free, to a girl from our village and in return she helps me with Hungarian and of course we have neighbours who we converse with on a daily basis.

So as you can see, we utilise both one to one tuition and online learning and I did not suggest one was better than the other, my post actually offered advise on finding a local teacher for one to one tuition!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

To be honest, it was yourself that first mentioned your children, otherwise how would I know you have any?
You completely missed the point of my post and it appeared that you replied with a "I know better" attitude. Let me explain. Ildi is a professional English teacher who lives here in Fonyod, so it is probably only of relevance to anyone in the immediate area, I have no idea where the village you live in is. She is not someone who teaches basic English at a primary school. Teaching English is her only source of income, her husband who is a qualified agricultural engineer works in a bar here in Fonyod because it is the only work he can get.
Ildi is very happy that now she has an English student that wishes to learn her native language and would welcome more. Her aim is to become a translator. She has told me to say how much she charges and it is only 2000fts. This is for one hour but as an English speaking Hungarian she also learns from me. My one hour lesson on Friday started at 5.30pm and ended at 9.00pm.
As I now live most of the time in this country I wish to help as much as I can the people here who want to help themselves, so rather than pay someone a few extra forints to boost the income they already have I prefer to pay someone who is trying to improve there lifestyle themselves. Sure we all have neighbours we can learn from as as do I but to be taught on a one to one basis is far superior to any other way. I also gleen an insight into the history of this country through the discussions we have.
I am now going to do extra studying so when the Rendorseg ( Sorry, european keyboard so no accents) arrest me outside the local primary school I will be able to explain that I am looking for a cheap Magyar lessons!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

To be honest, it was yourself that first mentioned your children, otherwise how would I know you have any?
Okay, this statement alone conveys that there is no point in even trying to discuss anything with you. If someone on a forum mentions their children, that does not mean they expect to be accused of not caring for them or for them to be used in sarcastic comments.

If you are in the habit of hanging around outside primary schools then yes, you should be concerned. Others I expect would go to the office and ask to speak to the English teacher.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You completely missed the point of my post and it appeared that you replied with a "I know better" attitude. Let me explain. Ildi is a professional English teacher who lives here in Fonyod, so it is probably only of relevance to anyone in the immediate area, I have no idea where the village you live in is. She is not someone who teaches basic English at a primary school. Teaching English is her only source of income, her husband who is a qualified agricultural engineer works in a bar here in Fonyod because it is the only work he can get.
Ildi is very happy that now she has an English student that wishes to learn her native language and would welcome more. Her aim is to become a translator. She has told me to say how much she charges and it is only 2000fts. This is for one hour but as an English speaking Hungarian she also learns from me. My one hour lesson on Friday started at 5.30pm and ended at 9.00pm.
As I now live most of the time in this country I wish to help as much as I can the people here who want to help themselves, so rather than pay someone a few extra forints to boost the income they already have I prefer to pay someone who is trying to improve there lifestyle themselves. Sure we all have neighbours we can learn from as as do I but to be taught on a one to one basis is far superior to any other way. I also gleen an insight into the history of this country through the discussions we have.
I am now going to do extra studying so when the Rendorseg ( Sorry, european keyboard so no accents) arrest me outside the local primary school I will be able to explain that I am looking for a cheap Magyar lessons!
OK peeps, lets keep calm
Back on subject maybe, but theres no need for any bad feeling here, everyone is in the same boat eh?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Mitzyboy, I did PM the poster explaining the Hungary section is in it's infancy and posts like these don't exactly make new users feel comfortable, hoping to discuss any differences in private, but to no avail. Personally, I don't need it, especially when someone who knows nothing about my family posts derogatory comments about my children.
Guess it's time to goodbye to the forum for a while as life is stressful enough without this. Have fun everyone and enjoy your time in Hungary.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the written word can sometimes be misunderstood when there is no way to see a person's face or the infliction in ones voice. Plus we all have different writing styles. I'm sure that no one intended to upset anyone else. As Mitzy says, we are all abroad and all in this together, so lets be supportive of each other. After all that's why BE was created.

I think it's great that you are immersing yourselves in the language and the culture of Hungary. I have never been myself but one day I hope to.

Happy Monday everyone

Sue
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Only just logged in again after a few days away.
I´m sorry I did´nt mean to cause upset with my question. I really dont want anyone falling out over it. Anyway thanks to both of you for replying and I do hope Rural you dont stop using the forum as you do provide a whole lot of helpful and useful information.

Klarika
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

At last I have found someone who teaches Hungarian to the English speaking. Had my first proper lesson last night, much better than trying to remember what I was told in the pub the previous evening. Her name is Ildi , she lives here in Fonyód and the cost is very reasonable.
If anyone is interested in taking lessons then contact me with your telephone number and I will pass it on to her so she can get in touch.
I don't want to sound a bit cheeky but I visit Hungary quite often as my wife is Hungarian and I don't have any problems communicating with my wife's friends and I cannot speak much Hungarian. Ah, you're probably thinking how come, well, both my wife and I are deaf and we communicate using international sign language! Problem solved for me! Communicating with my wife's parents and family are a different matter as they are not deaf but my vocabulary is slowly expanding. The most frequently spoken words coming out of my mouth are 'Barna Sor' for brown beer! LOL!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Only just come across this particular thread. What an unpleasant reply from Ettamogah to Rural Hungary's perfectly reasonable posting re learning Hungarian.
It would appear that we must only do things Ettamogah's way and no other!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:02 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Only just come across this particular thread. What an unpleasant reply from Ettamogah to Rural Hungary's perfectly reasonable posting re learning Hungarian.
It would appear that we must only do things Ettamogah's way and no other!
It was back in April, so time has moved on since then, so onward and upward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.