Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Learning Hungarian

Learning Hungarian

Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Hungarian

Thanks Shotgun, I took a deep breath, counted to ten and ignored it. Life's too short and all that.
I think there are a few forums users using Livemocha now as it is a great site, especially for those who are in the UK and have no other access to learning the language.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough

we have been here 5 years now and i am still finding the language hard but at least i can shop and read a menu.
the young girl over the road comes over every w/e to use the pc and then another day comes over for us to help her with her english. she has devised several games where she does english and we have to do magyar.
also last week another neighbour asked if we can start helping her 7 year old who has just started learning english.
hope we get an english school going in our lounge before long.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I am posting in this thread as it is about learning Hungarian.

My husband and I are currently having Hungarian lessons in the UK with a native Hungarian. She is excellent and was a Russian Literature University teacher when she lived in Hungary. We are really enjoying learning the language but it is an incredible challenge. No doubt when we move to Hungary in June our learning will excelerate... Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/tips/experiences they would like to share on how best they learnt Hungarian.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting ideas here. I had wondered about taking a lodger who could speak some English and let them stay for little or no rent in exchange for teaching me some Hungarian. In my case they might also help keep the 1.5 acre garden under control!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polgardi, the best tip I can give is to mix with the locals. You will have a head start as the majority of Brits - including ourselves - come over knowing no Hungarian at all.

However, it doesn't matter how much you learn, if you do not use it - you will lose it. It is difficult and it will be very frustrating at times but it is worth persevering. I'm finding that I understand a lot more as time goes on and having mastered the basics, now try to add words to my vocabulary. Must admit though that, for now, I have given up on trying to be grammatically correct
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

We are learning tounge twisters in Hungarian (as if it was not tongue twisting enough) and also learning a song 'az a szep'!! Love it
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Brilliant song and very lively
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:01 am
VeszprƩm Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still in the UK & in reasonable travelling distance of London, the UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies do Hungarian evening classes for beginners & upwards. I did some a few years back & must admit I let it slip, but the training in grammar will I hope (!) return when I have to try to start using the language.

Very friendly people see

http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/eveningcourses/index.htm
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Some interesting ideas here. I had wondered about taking a lodger who could speak some English and let them stay for little or no rent in exchange for teaching me some Hungarian. In my case they might also help keep the 1.5 acre garden under control!
In your case, woofers might be a good idea - especially if you could get some Hungarian woofers (thought most woofers tend to travel outside their own country). Would definetley help with the workload though and all you have to provide is bed and board
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Woofer? I have never heard that term before. Is that slang for a lodger? Please excuse my ignorance
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:30 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hmmm, haven't seen you around the media thread of late

Only kidding

No, woofer or rather WWOOF stands for World Wide something or other. Basically you can register as a wwoofer or a host, there are registers users all over the world. If you are a host, you give a description of yourself, your project and the work you need help with. (Usually they are orchards, farms, organic projects, typically anything from 1 - 1000's of acres. There are also other enterprises listed such as craft shops, art studios, bakeries etc). A woofer is usually a student though there are also families, couples or older singles - my mums friend had a chap who had been woofing for 8 years constant working in her vineyard, to him it was a way of life.
The woofer makes contact with the host and arranges a stay of anything from a few days to a couple of months. They are expected to work 7-8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week though this is decided by the individual host. Food and accommodation is provided by the host and some may also pay a small amount of pocket money.
http://www.wwoof.org/
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hmmm, haven't seen you around the media thread of late

Only kidding

No, woofer or rather WWOOF stands for World Wide something or other. Basically you can register as a wwoofer or a host, there are registers users all over the world. If you are a host, you give a description of yourself, your project and the work you need help with. (Usually they are orchards, farms, organic projects, typically anything from 1 - 1000's of acres. There are also other enterprises listed such as craft shops, art studios, bakeries etc). A woofer is usually a student though there are also families, couples or older singles - my mums friend had a chap who had been woofing for 8 years constant working in her vineyard, to him it was a way of life.
The woofer makes contact with the host and arranges a stay of anything from a few days to a couple of months. They are expected to work 7-8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week though this is decided by the individual host. Food and accommodation is provided by the host and some may also pay a small amount of pocket money.
http://www.wwoof.org/
Interesting - thanks for this. Have poked my head in the media thread
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:21 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Interesting - thanks for this. Have poked my head in the media thread
You're welcome, always worth considering.

Noticed your post on the media thread - nice to have a happy equilibrium once again
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
In your case, woofers might be a good idea - especially if you could get some Hungarian woofers (thought most woofers tend to travel outside their own country). Would definetley help with the workload though and all you have to provide is bed and board
Thanks for the link but it sounds a bit too specific, involving organic farming and ecology projects. I found a more general volunteering website which might fit the bill:
http://www.workaway.info/
I have posted a request for English speakers studying Hungarian or Hungarian speakers studying English. Members of the latter group might come to practice their English but I would have to make sure they didn't only use English.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:41 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No it's not specific at all, if you look through the different hosts there is a wide variety of properties, people, projects etc. It originally started as an organic farming opportunity but has expanded to include so much more. There is a couple near Pecs who have been hosts for a few years now and they do not have a farm but are simply striving to be as self sufficient as possible. The beauty of the wwoofer scheme is that it has been established for 40 years and has a huge worldwide membership.
As it's free you might want to register with both - would be interesting to see the success you have with each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.