Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Learning Hungarian

Learning Hungarian

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Learning Hungarian

We have finally arrived in Hungary. No hot water or gas as yet, but we are coping I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Hungarian teacher in our area (Polgardi/Siofok/Enying). Although most of the locals appear quite friendly I am constantly being stared at. We must look very english!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:53 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you arrived safely and hope things fall into place for you soon

My first port of call would be the local school, though you might have to wait until after the holidays now. Every school has an English speaking teacher and many appreciate the chance to earn some extra cash. You could also ask at the mayors office as they should know of English speakers in the village.
We have been offered lessons by everyone from students to doctors, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding someone.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Glad you arrived safely and hope things fall into place for you soon

My first port of call would be the local school, though you might have to wait until after the holidays now. Every school has an English speaking teacher and many appreciate the chance to earn some extra cash. You could also ask at the mayors office as they should know of English speakers in the village.
We have been offered lessons by everyone from students to doctors, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding someone.
If you have a PC/laptop you could download free software from the internet from www.byki.com . There is a deluxe version which costs between £30-40 and I have been quite impressed with it. You get to learn and practice words, listen how to prounounce them, test yourself, etc. Everything you learn is backed up and it keeps stats of what you have learnt. Not only that but it shows you which words/areas are "stale", i.e. meaning you need to revisit them to keep up your learning progress.
My Hungarian wife has been impressed with my recent progress but I still have yet to practice it on my Hungarian relatives but I am sure they will be impressed. I am deaf so if I can do it then so can the rest of you. My reason for working hard this time around is I have become more determined to move to Hungary when I retire, hopefully in 9 years time although with the UK government's plans to increase the NHS retirement age to 66 (for my current age) this may happen much later!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Hello Polgardi,

No gas or hot water but you've got internet! See, Hungary isn't that bad.

I am Hungarian and I teach English. I also have a couple of English students who are learning Hungarian. If you are interested in the details, send me a pm please.

Regards,

Ria
Old Jun 26th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by FenTiger
If you have a PC/laptop you could download free software from the internet from www.byki.com .
Like it, as an English language teacher, I can say I like it!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your replies.

Had an interesting experience in the Mayors office this morning - at least he knows who we are now! He basically told us to try the school, he was very helpful

Riahun - will pm you

Will also try the link - thanks for that - it all helps.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
He basically told us to try the school, he was very helpful
I feel vindicated now
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:43 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Source http://www.filolog.com/language.html

The Hungarian Language
Magyar (pronounced mawdyar), as we Hungarians call our language, is spoken by the
approximately 10.3 million inhabitants of Hungary, as well as another 4 million people in
neighboring countries and a million others scattered around the world.

The Hungarian language belongs to the Finno-Ugric language family, which includes
Finnish and Estonian. The Hungarian language is not at all related to the Indo-European
languages which surround Hungary, and the language is very different both in vocabulary
and in grammar.

The Hungarian grammar is seemingly complex, yet there is no gender, a feature that
most English speakers grapple with when learning other European languages.

The Hungarian language does use the Roman alphabet however, and after learning a
few simple rules one can easily read Hungarian.

Pronunciation of Hungarian is also very easy, especially compared to other neighbouring
languages like Czech, German, and Russian.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Before we moved to Hungary we had Hungarian lessons which whilst useful did not prepare us for the reality of actually living and speaking the language. I am currently in France for the winter and in comparison French is so easy. We had official Hungarian lessons in a school as well as private lessons outside of the school whist in Hungary and although it does come a bit easier after a while, I personally feel its a dfficult language to master. Especially the pronounciation
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:23 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

French give me hungarian instead any day. Could be because i have never really had the desire to learn it fluently, just do not get on with it as i do with Hungarian
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
Thanks for this link. I've realised for years I have pronounced 'Magyar' wrongly! Sigh .... well I am deaf so that's my excuse. Having Deaf Hungarian friends I also need to improve on my Hungarian Sign Language and luckily for me there's a good website http://www.hallatlan.hu/en/ .

One of my Hungarian nephews is hoping to come over here (UK) for a week or so to attend a course to improve his English so it should be an opportunity to learn from each other. I know some of you might say why not ask my wife to help but the problem is I find it difficult to pick up my wife's Hungarian because of the tone of her voice!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 7:21 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

When I had Hungarian lessons in London the test book used was
Hallo, Itt Magyarorszag!
Jozsef Erdos (Author), Prileszky Csilla (Author)

I retain my copy so when I move & have time I can remind myself of all I should know!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language App.

I'm not sure if this post is breaking forum rules so I will understand if it disappears. My friend János has written an App. for learning Hungarian:

iTunes address:
http://itunes.apple.com/hu/app/hunga...507875263?mt=8

Facebook address:
http://www.facebook.com/HungarianWordOfTheDay

Description:

Learn a Hungarian word each day! With this beautifully designed app you'll be able to learn the essential Hungarian phrases quickly and effortlessly.

This application is perfect for learners at all levels. Beginners can immediately expand their vocabulary with new words, and more advanced speakers can learn how to use the words in a practical context.

Feautres include:

* Hungarian word or expression with English translation for each day
* Useful example sentences: you can use them in real life situations as they are, and you'll even learn some slang phrases
* Beautiful, high quality background photos
* Practice mode
* iPhone, iPod and iPad support
* No network connection required

Highly recommended for travelers. Hungarians are very grateful when you try to speak their language, even if you say just a few words. Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Albianne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Just found this site whilst searching the web for Hungarian Teachers for English speakers.

I realise that there have been a couple of people who have mentioned finding teachers down the bottom of Lake Balaton. Does anyone know of anyone who can teach near Lepseny?(excuse the spelling using an English keyboard here)

I realise I could use web courses to learn but prefer doing it face to face that way I can get the pronunciations correct. One word answers are just not going to cut it as I am here long-term.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Albianne and welcome to the BE forums. I'm the concierge for the Hungarian section so if you need any help, feel free to contact me.

I believe you are near the forum user Polgardi? It might be worth contacting her as I know she has found a professional language teacher.
I'm up to my eyes in curry at the moment but should have some free time after the weekend, if you haven't made contact with her by then, I'll email her for you. Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.