Hidden Gem

Old May 17th 2011, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Hidden Gem

Originally Posted by klarika
lets hope it stays a Hidden Gem
I heard this evening, that the Russians are moving in with some ex-pats moving out to other climes?
Old May 18th 2011, 2:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I heard a couple of years ago that Heviz and Keszthely were attracting a lot of Russian buyers, could explain SCD trying to bring Aeroflot onboard. Yes, lately I have heard of quite a few expats leaving or intending to leave. In the main, expats who came from Spain only to discover Hungary is not a "cheaper Costas" then those who bought in "the wrong" area
Old May 19th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Rural,

When you say about 'cheaper costas' do you mean that some people may expect the kind of 'sun 'sea' and sangria' lifestyle where it doesnt have too big an impact if you cannot speak the language?

I am sure I will soon find out for myself anyway
Old May 19th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Hi Rural,

When you say about 'cheaper costas' do you mean that some people may expect the kind of 'sun 'sea' and sangria' lifestyle where it doesnt have too big an impact if you cannot speak the language?

There is sun, from about this time of year to late September/ October, there is "sea" in the form of the lake, there is local wine and plenty of festivals for the whole family. There are walks too. Yes it can be cold in winter. Language, well that's a different matter sometimes. Then there's the culture and the people and a slow emerging economy that still needs to get its act together, but getting there ...... slowly

I would say if you don't go for the UK type Tesco shopping (frozen things) and actually cook things for yourself it may not to be too costly. If you're going to buy your frozen fish fingers, chips, veg etc., yes it will probably be just as costly, or?

Take in the country and you'll love it and its people!
Old May 19th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

I agree we lived in Spain for 11 years my husband 22 years and it is very costly there. It is no where near as expensive here. Our council tax is 45 Euros a year in Spain it was near the 1000 the gas, elec we find cheaper here and also the food. I guess it does depend on peoples life styles.
But overall we have found it is far better value for money than the Costa's
Old May 20th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

We have finally exchanged contracts on our UK house So we hope to be in Hungary from the end of June, just in time for summer!
Old May 20th 2011, 6:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Hi Rural,

Hi Polgardi, yes exactly that Some discover that the lake doesn't appeal to them in quite the way that the sea did or that the lack of "nightlife" and earlier closing hours isn't what they expected. Last year, we had a couple over from Spain who where considering buying here. It was the height of the season and we stopped off at the lakeside in Keszthly around 8-9pm, they commented on how there was nothing to do and it was like a ghost town. I suppose in comparison to where they had come from, it was indeed "dead".

So though it may well be cheaper, it wasn't the life style to which they had become accustomed - each to their own.
I have heard this corner of the Balaton being referred to as the Eastbourne of Hungary as many permanent expats tend to be older. As such, understandably, the lack of nightlife and more sedate lifestyle here is probably appealing.

So pleased to hear your house sale is complete and wishing you the best of luck with the move. Remember, if you need any help, just ask :-)
Old May 20th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
. It was the height of the season and we stopped off at the lakeside in Keszthly around 8-9pm, they commented on how there was nothing to do and it was like a ghost town. I suppose in comparison to where they had come from, it was indeed "dead".

I have heard this corner of the Balaton being referred to as the Eastbourne of Hungary

the lack of nightlife and more sedate lifestyle here is probably appealing.
In the height of the season there are festivals throughout - festivals for the whole family.

And "beach" events throughout the summer season as well!

Eastbourne? Bournemouth maybe, having lived there.

Nightlife? Even Blackpool "closes" down out of season.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by OSA
In the height of the season there are festivals throughout - festivals for the whole family.

And "beach" events throughout the summer season as well!

Eastbourne? Bournemouth maybe, having lived there.

Nightlife? Even Blackpool "closes" down out of season.
Granted, but the fact is - it isn't a "cheaper Costas" hence several younger (and not so young) expats returning to Spain - and not just the Costas.

The nightlife I was referring to is in season, out of season - which is rather short compared to other European countries - it is practically non existent. Doesn't affect our lifestyle in the least but others have found it lacking

The most frequent question I am asked, when suggesting introductions between expats under the age of about 55 is, "what age are they, everyone we have met so far is old". It's not being derogatory, simply that some expats move here, struggle with the language then look for British friends and company only to discover that many are of a different generation - hence comments drawing comparisons with British retirement towns. Admittedly, there are more younger couples/families slowing moving or considering moving over.

My personal opinion is that if anything, Hungary is a "cheaper France" (without the delicious cheese, bread and seafood) whereas Bulgaria, more so on the coast, is a cheaper Costas or Spain. However, expats are sold the "cheaper Costas" belief by agents in Spain touting this end of the lake as such, they arrive here only to discover it isn't Some will be looking for a different way of life or appreciate what Hungary has to offer and stay. Naturally, everybody is different and some will find what they are looking for whilst others won't and will leave and the Russians will take their place LOL

Last edited by Rural Hungary; May 20th 2011 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

tomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the rough

Hi, useful info on Hungarian cost level:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-11-028-EN.PDF