Hidden Gem

Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hidden Gem

My husband and I have been wondering why Hungary is such a hidden gem. The majority of people we know in the UK do not seem to know much about it, let alone its geography or history. Is there a reason for this? We just find it a bit odd. Other countries near to Hungary, i.e. even Slovakia/Slovenia appear to have a much higher profile.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hidden Gem

Yes, most people I speak to think I am mad to want to live in Hungary but I don't think they really know enough to make a proper judgment. I sometimes wonder if our ancestors were better informed in the days when the Austro Hungarian Empire was a major player in the world.
Having been several times to Bulgaria I can understand why there are a lot more Brits there than in Hungary. It's all to do with marketing. Apart from all the house ads on Ebay there are loads of English language estate agent websites in Bulgaria. It is also much easier to find someone who speaks English in shops, banks, public transport etc. The other aspect with regard to Brits is that Hungary is landlocked and traditionally as a nation we go to the seaside for holidays, retirement etc.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Well, in a way I am glad its a hidden gem! I have never been to Bulgaria so cannot comment. Everyone thinks we are mad moving to Hungary as we are selling up and will be 'mortgage free'. People say we should remortgage ourselves to the hilt and rent out. Which would be fine if we had oodles of cash and our circumstances were different. We like the idea of being mortgage free though. I am not wearing rose tinted glasses, but likewise I am not the sort of person who lets other people project their own fears (real or imagined) on to me. Hungary feels like home to us, strange isnt it, when you get a feel for somewhere
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what you mean about it feeling like home. I had the same feeling about Scotland before I came to live here. I felt it was my kind of place, whereas I felt alienated in England where I had lived all my life. I still love Scotland but the summers seem colder and wetter than when I arrived in 1997.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well we will have to meet up once we arrive! We are just going through the ridiculous house sale process in the UK. June is our ETA, but you never know!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Having just come home at 2am from a garden party, nothing I say now would make much sense or would probably have avery bias slant to it, so I shall reply in the morning but tonight was very good
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

A case in point. Yesterday in the travel section of The Sunday Times there was a peice on the best lakes in europe....and they didnt mention Balaton but did mention a lake in Slovenia.
Old May 12th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any other suggestions why Hungary doesnt appear to register with the majority of Brits?
Old May 12th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

It was only after reading a travel article in The Mail on Saturday (begining March) that we actually gave Hungary a thought. There seems to be very little written about it......so, I suppose people automatically think of the more publicised places.
Although I haven`t even visited yet, I have been around Hungary quite a bit recently, courtesy of the internet !!
It`s probably very selfish, but I think it`s lovely that, for the moment, it remains `a hidden gem`.
Old May 12th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Unfortunately the only place that may be visited is Budapest, the Hungarian Tourist Board needs to get its act together and promote an industry that would be so good for its economy!

The Germans, the Dutch and now it seems the Swedes, who all drive over, have discovered the gem, the Germans or rather the East Germans having discovered it before the Wall came down. A lot of Germans & Swedes have properties there and now the British ex-pat community are discovering Hungary rather than Spain!
Old May 12th 2011, 5:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polgardi, just realised I never replied to this - that's what a few too many glasses of Hungarian wine does to you

I think there are several reasons which till now have kept expats away from Hungary, not counting the fact that many Brits seem to believe it is cold, damp and full of concrete apartment blocks. My thoughts on them are based solely on the more rural areas and around Balaton.
Firstly, it is land locked - many expats like to be near the coast.
Secondly, with the scarcity of airports, much of the country is closed to potential buyers, who, once in Hungary, prefer not to spend their well earned holiday commuting 3-4 hours to their home.
Then there is the Hungarian nightlife (albeit there are a few exceptions) is less lively than the Costa's and many other expat enclaves (hence the return of several expats to Spain). For us it is an advantage but everyone is different.
Finally, the sales tax on property meant that unlike other countries where investors could renovate and sell property quickly, in Hungary, this wasn't possible, so compared to the likes of Bulgaria, there was no "gold rush" meaning less media hype and less awareness of the country.

I once read a comment on a French forum, the poster was having to move on due to financial difficulties. Whilst asking for suggestions on cheaper destinations, they commented "don't anyone suggest Bulgaria or Hungary, I would rather return to the UK than live there " and there you have another reason, Hungary is viewed by some as another "Bulgaria" whereas in reality, there is no comparison!
Old May 13th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rural. The points you have highlighted make complete sense. Its a shame in one way, but good in another
Old May 13th 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Austin Allegro is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree it is mostly down to tax/property laws which meant that Hungary didn't suffer the same plague of property-buying locusts that ruined places like the Costas. I agree also the lack of beaches keeps the Brits away.

I think there's also historically a bit of a fear about countries beyond the 'Iron Curtain', especially amongst the retirement age folk.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

lets hope it stays a Hidden Gem
Old May 17th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I am pleased to say it looks like UK house sale is finally through so we will be relocating to this hidden gem soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.