Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Garden Boundaries

Garden Boundaries

Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Garden Boundaries

Hi can anyone tell me what the rules/regs/customs are here in Hungary relating to bushes overhanging a neighbours garden? Is it like the UK & you/they can cut & throw back? What about the meter at the other side of a house that belongs to your property?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by JBinhungary
Hi can anyone tell me what the rules/regs/customs are here in Hungary relating to bushes overhanging a neighbours garden? Is it like the UK & you/they can cut & throw back? What about the meter at the other side of a house that belongs to your property?
Yes it is like the UK but in the interest of good neighbours it is best to talk to them first because they should do the work anyway, if they don't want to then suggest a joint exercise and if that doesn't work then you cutting back and giving their material back should be a last resort but tell them when you intend to do it.

What about the meter at the other side of a house that belongs to your property? ???????? I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 5:23 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, I think he is referring to the narrow strip of land that usually exist between the back wall of most houses and the actual legal boundary of the plot. Customarily the land belongs to the property whose back wall faces the other plot but in practice many neighbours encroach upon the nnarrow strip of land with plants or other things. It only becomes a problem if for example you need access due to having a new roof installed or having the render redone.

I think there was a recent thread about this about topic last year. I will attach the link if I find it.

Boundaries and Surveys

I think FenTiger also had a thread about landscaping or trees and trimming them I f I find it I will also link to that one.

Cherry Trees

Old Aug 5th 2021, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Peter, I think he is referring to the narrow strip of land that usually exist between the back wall of most houses and the actual legal boundary of the plot. Customarily the land belongs to the property whose back wall faces the other plot but in practice many neighbours encroach upon the nnarrow strip of land with plants or other things. It only becomes a problem if for example you need access due to having a new roof installed or having the render redone.

I think there was a recent thread about this about topic last year. I will attach the link if I find it.

Boundaries and Surveys

I think FenTiger also had a thread about landscaping or trees and trimming them I f I find it I will also link to that one.

Cherry Trees
Yes that is the bit I meant.. sorry for any confusion & thank you both for all your helpful advice.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 7:28 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

JB no worries, Happy to help.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever

/
Originally Posted by JBinhungary
Yes that is the bit I meant.. sorry for any confusion & thank you both for all your helpful advice.
Your boundary is your boundary and your neighbour is not entitled to use any of your land without your permission. If your neighbour has a tree planted close to the back of your house and the tree overhangs the boundary then you are entitled to the same actions as anywhere else. A common problem is where trees grow tall and either fill the gutter with leaves or dislodge tiles in storms, in either case you can get the trees cut back to the boundary line. If the boundary is actually to house wall then you are entitled to access via your neighbours land to do maintenance, you need permission but this can't be unreasonably refused.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

The wall for the front of garden for our property extends about 0.75m from the side of our house facing neighbour's garden but the fence is more in line with the side of our house and doesn't line up with the front garden wall. I'm thinking the fence on that side is in the wrong place. The fence at the rear of the garden seems correct. That particular strip on neighbour's side are an old bike, some junk and then propped along the side wall are paving slabs and planks of wood. Surely, this shouldn't be allowed. Do we have cause to ask the neighbours to remove them? We will probably do nothing for but once we start renovating our property and need access to that side we could mention it.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

This is the side of our house. As you can see there's various stuff resting against the wall.

Junk on other side of the fence. This fence is not in line with the fence at the rear of the garden.
Tried to upload a third photo but failed. Will try again.

Last edited by FenTiger; Aug 23rd 2021 at 7:41 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

You need to be sure where the actual boundary is located. If you look at a map in land office this should show if the house is the boundary or there is some space between the house and the boundary. If it turns out that the boundary is away from the house then the fence is in the wrong position. (assuming the house was built in the right place). If the fence is in the wrong place you then have the choice about moving it or leaving it. If you want to move it then talk to the neighbour and if they don't agree based on an official map from land office (get a 1:500 scale or bigger as it is easier to measure distances). then you will have to get a land measurer. There is a convention as to who owns which fence on a property but I can't remember it ! anyway almost regardless of who owns it if you want it moved you will probably have to pay for it.

As always try to get the neighbour to agree amicably before resorting to officialdom. There is probably nothing that can be done about storing stuff as shown in the photos. If the stuff is on their land and they want a bit of a mess then that is up to them. Of course if you can show damage to your property that would be a different matter.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

In my village the metre of land on the right hand side of your property belongs to you, even though it's on your neighbour's property. I have access to it through a gate at the side of my house. I am also responsible for maintaining any fencing on that side. Similarly the metre of land on the left hand side of your garden, even though it's within your boundary belongs to your neighbour who is responsible for the erection and maintenance of the fencing on that side..
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think as we are planning to have an additional driveway over the culvert we need to know exactly where the boundary is with the neighbouring property so it is in the place.
I agree it's best to talk to them first to explain about our plans for an additional driveway (for visitors). I'm not going to bother about where the fence at the side should be because there's a concrete wall as high at the front and there'll be no benefit from gaining this small strip of land due to this concrete wall which will make that strip unusable, unless it's move. Not worth the hassle.
I always thought neighbour's shouldn't put things on the slim strip on side wall. Ours has paving slabs leaning against the wall. There's no reason why they can't do this on their own property.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
In my village the metre of land on the right hand side of your property belongs to you, even though it's on your neighbour's property. I have access to it through a gate at the side of my house. I am also responsible for maintaining any fencing on that side. Similarly the metre of land on the left hand side of your garden, even though it's within your boundary belongs to your neighbour who is responsible for the erection and maintenance of the fencing on that side..
Out of interest is the "right side" looking at the house from the road or from your garden out to the street?
Old Aug 24th 2021, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
Out of interest is the "right side" looking at the house from the road or from your garden out to the street?
Looking at the house from the road.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2021, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
whether you look after the fence on the left or right will depend upon local regs. Normally it will be on the right but can be on the left so best to check first. (So I was told today)

If the metre of land on the left (or right or any where else) is within your boundary then it is yours and does not belong to your neighbour..

Older village houses are often built to one side of the plot. In our village the planners insisted a new house was built to the right side of the plot and sideways on to maintain the style of the area. When houses are built to one side then sometimes they are built right up to the boundary and sometimes there is a metre or so left. If it is built up to the boundary then that is the boundary however the neighbour will have a right of access only for the purpose of maintenance and then with agreement and by appointment with the neighbouring land owner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.