Flybalaton

Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flybalaton

I am trying to be optimistic but am not that confident - wonder if there is anyway that we could get our voice heard at the World Routes Conference or try and influence Magyar Turizmus ???? Any ideas would be good.....

THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING WE COULD DO TO MAKE THEM LISTEN !!!!

Yes we were in Zalavar from 28th June to 5th July but we are usually mistaken for Germans !!!! We are next over in September arriving on the 10th - do you have any Balaton Brits meetings around that time ??? My husband Les met some English people in Tesco who told him about a car boot for Balaton Brits but we unfortunately did not get to it - hope it went okay
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

derbycold is an unknown quantity at this point

nothing yet ?.so its open to german and russian flights yes ?so if you fly in from the uk has anyone found a affordable way via wherever.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:39 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Flybalaton

Originally Posted by derbycold
nothing yet ?.so its open to german and russian flights yes ?so if you fly in from the uk has anyone found a affordable way via wherever.
I've tried a few ways, Ryanair- Stansted to Graz, it was cheap providing you only have cabin bag (I felt it was a bit petty for them to weigh the cabin bag as you are boarding!!!). Then the hire car from Graz is 6-10 euros perday extra for driving to Hungary, plus the awful road between Szentgothard and Heviz, it was false economy.

I also flew with Easyjet to Gatwick to Budapest - Ferihegy 1 (nice and small, 10 minutes and you are out), still good price 20kg luggage (instead of Ryanair's 15 kg) and they have bigger cabin bag allowance... they actually say that there is no weight limit!!
I got a very good deal with dollarthrifth (I am a regular) they pick you up from terminal and drop you back on departure.

But I must say all things being equal, I would rather pay up to £25 extra each and go with Malev any day! Better planes, food and drink, 23kg luggage included and they are equally flexible with cabin baggage. They fly from Gatwick to Budapest Ferihegy 2 (newer terminal).
Again hire car from dollarthrifty.

Recap: It takes me longer to drive to Stansted, quicker to Gatwick. It takes same time to drive to Heviz from Graz and Budapest but Hire Car costs more in Graz! Ryanair planes are not so nice, Easyjet planes are better and cleaner. Too many hidden charges with Ryanair and they have the front to try and weigh your cabin bag and charge you £25 for the privilage if it is more than10kg (unless you place your foot under it in one corner while it's on the scales )

So I will be flying to Ferihegy and get home to Heviz via the Motorway. Unless another airlines starts flying to Sarmellek from UK, I am prepared to drive 2 hors to get to the airport here in UK!!! Becaue once in Sarmellek it's only 15 minutes to my house
Regards,
Goo
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Real estate developer and investor SCD Group is selling Magyar Turisztikai Holding Zrt - its company owning the Balaton Development Program, FlyBalaton Airport and the purchase option of Hunguest Hotel - to Hungarian investors represented by Turisztika Hungária Kft. The establishments will still be operated by Balatontourist Zrt., owned and presided by Gellért Jászai, head of SCD Group.

Jászai said the company group would now focus on preparing for its Budapest bourse introduction and continuing developments in the city. The first phase of the Akadémia Park office development in District II will be completed this month.
Source - Napi

So the game continues, still nothing concrete and not looking promising.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Real estate developer and investor SCD Group is selling Magyar Turisztikai Holding Zrt - its company owning the Balaton Development Program, FlyBalaton Airport and the purchase option of Hunguest Hotel - to Hungarian investors represented by Turisztika Hungária Kft. The establishments will still be operated by Balatontourist Zrt., owned and presided by Gellért Jászai, head of SCD Group.

Jászai said the company group would now focus on preparing for its Budapest bourse introduction and continuing developments in the city. The first phase of the Akadémia Park office development in District II will be completed this month.
Source - Napi

So the game continues, still nothing concrete and not looking promising.

Looks like we need to lobby the new company ??
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Ermm, I might well be wrong but my understanding is that they are basically playing musical chairs with the ownership - I did wonder when the new company was set up...... Surely, out of the 1.4 billion HUF the company has received in the past few years, they could have at least afforded a functioning website! Add to the mix, EU grants, dodgy politicians and the picture becomes clearer.
The general consensus seems to be that it is unlikely Flybalaton will return to his former state of operation.
I hope I am proven wrong but for now, I am advising those considering Hungary to look closer to the Croatian, Slovenian and Austrian borders where Graz and Zagreb airports are only an hour or mores drive. Alternatively, in the Gyors region which is close to Vienna and Bratislava (lovely area but a bit flat for us).

Unless people are adamant they wish to be near Lake Balaton, whilst the recommencement of flights with Flybalaton remains uncertain, other areas are more feasible as holiday homes. Budapest to Keszthely is approximately a 2 hour drive, Zagreb to Letenye is just over an hour and Graz to Lenti 1 hour 20 minutes.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Bad News :

It remains uncertain what will happen with Balaton developments previously undertaken by the SCD Group - a Hungarian firm backed in part by disgraced Irish investor Derek Quinlan - after the company sold its properties at the lake. SCD refused to reveal whether the obligation for developments worth Ft 16.4 billion (roughly €60 million) - or in lack of these, paying a considerable amount of penalties - would be transferred to the new owner of the portfolio. Buyer Turisztika Hungária Kft. would also not say if the company wanted to or could carry out the obligations.
(source realsource,hu)

Good News? : The mayor of Heviz has stated that Heviz municipality is willing to contribute towards the operational costs of the airport.
Depending on the amount contributed and whether other municipalities in the Balaton region follow suit, it might be enough to entice Ryanair back to Flybalaton Suppose it depends on the owners - and goodness knows which company will own the airport by that time - motivation to make this airport work!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

not all bad then ! fingers crossed.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by derbycold
Hello Derbycold
We flew via Easjet from Gatwick to Zagreb in June got hire car and a nice drive to Balaton south west area. The flight times were excellent and the cost for both of us was about £160.00 that was booked at was booked at least 2 months before (the earlier you book obviosly the cost is cheaper) and nearer the date the flight charges increased to about £100.00 more so book early. I believe you can fly from East Midlands which is near Derby to Budapest or try Birmingham, as you probably know. Easyjet was a far nicer experience than Ryanair (dirty planes and staff not so nice). So it comes down to trolling through the air lines,only 2, Ryanair and Easyjet that I found were the cheapest
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

never tried that way but will now,thanx.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:44 am
I bite my thumb at thee

We have always found the Zagreb route much easier than Budapest - the airport literally minutes from the airport and once on it, it is a straight drive through to Hungary. Car hire is fairly inexpensive and no vignette needed, just a toll which is around 5 euro.
As Richardmc advised, as it is a popular route, try and book in advance as there are few, if any, cheap last minute flights
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:15 am
Just Joined

davidszigliget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
We have always found the Zagreb route much easier than Budapest - the airport literally minutes from the airport and once on it, it is a straight drive through to Hungary. Car hire is fairly inexpensive and no vignette needed, just a toll which is around 5 euro.
As Richardmc advised, as it is a popular route, try and book in advance as there are few, if any, cheap last minute flights
The Croatian toll isn't expensive but once over the border into Hungary a motorway vignette (matrica) is needed. A bit more expensive for a four day one - but there's no way of getting one at the border so you have to go on to the first motorway service station. We did it on Saturday and found huge queues! Could use the old road down to the Balaton though - not much slower I think.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:14 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi David, we always buy ours at the booth just next to the border check point. Unfortunately, flying into either Budapest or Zagreb then hitting the motorway - requires the purchase of a vignette The 7 road adds about 20 minutes to the journey so not that much longer and you can join it before crossing into Hungary, the border crossing on the 7 is larger than on the motorway.
Overall, it's the ease of the drive that we like and the scenery on route is pretty nice.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:20 am
Banned

tapsony is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there many car hire companies at this airport and can any of our members indicate what the daily/weekly rates might be. Is it true the airport will close down for the winter.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Hello Tapsony - ref Zagreb car hire see my comments on the car hire experience thread, also at the airport there are about 7 car hire companies plying for business but you will need Croatian Kunas and make sure the car hire cost includes insuranceHungary. Car hire "Thrifty" cover Hungary in their quote but will try to sell/charge you for extra CWD insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.