EU referendum

Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:41 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default EU referendum

UK Parliment is to vote on whether we will be given a referendum to finally have our say whether the UK should be in the EU.

It does look like there is alot of support to give UK the referendum, will this effect expats should the UK pull out of the EU, which of coarse is a long way off even if the UK get a referendum and vote to pull out of the EU, which i would say would be the result due to the huge amount of EU legislation that has impacted so heavily on life in England.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: EU referendum

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
UK Parliment is to vote on whether we will be given a referendum to finally have our say whether the UK should be in the EU.

It does look like there is alot of support to give UK the referendum, will this effect expats should the UK pull out of the EU, which of coarse is a long way off even if the UK get a referendum and vote to pull out of the EU, which i would say would be the result due to the huge amount of EU legislation that has impacted so heavily on life in England.
That's a long way off if at all!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:16 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

It certainly would be a long way, but time flies as we get older
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I would presume that the regulations relating to EEA member countries would then apply
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:04 pm
Banned

The Uk so called democracy, on radio 4 last night they were interviewing 2 MP's in support of a referendum, Actors spoke their words so they would not be identified???? and I thought we lived in a democracy where freedom of speech existed!!
Our chief wip has mailed all MP's urging them to support the government in voting no to a referendum, MP's have stated that they have received overwhelming emails from the public asking them to support a yes vote. Wonder just how democratic this is going to be
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

It is about whether 1) the UK should stay in the EU, 2) leave the EU or 3) renegotiate its membership.
I believe 3) will probably be the ultimate choice
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15425256
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by OGSG
It is about whether 1) the UK should stay in the EU, 2) leave the EU or 3) renegotiate its membership.
I believe 3) will probably be the ultimate choice
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15425256
I believe it is about if we (the public)should be allowed a referendum to be able to vote on the above options
As your link says "MPs can vote to give their constituents a choice about their ongoing relationship with the EU or they can vote them to deny them that opportunity".
What I do not get in a democratic society is that the government has ordered this 3 line whip thing so any mp disagreeing with the government is expected to leave their job. I have heard one of the smaller peeps has left.
It is a case of obey the boss (the pm) and ignore the public.
Steve is much better on the politics front than I am, I am sure when he is home he will post more (which will be more informed and detailed than me)
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

I believe it is about if we (the public)should be allowed a referendum to be able to vote on the above options
As your link says "MPs can vote to give their constituents a choice about their ongoing relationship with the EU or they can vote them to deny them that opportunity".
What I do not get in a democratic society is that the government has ordered this 3 line whip thing so any mp disagreeing with the government is expected to leave their job. I have heard one of the smaller peeps has left.
It is a case of obey the boss (the pm) and ignore the public.
Steve is much better on the politics front than I am, I am sure when he is home he will post more (which will be more informed and detailed than me)
Cameron: "a vote for a referendum would be a huge distraction from tackling Europe's economic crisis."
It's not happenning now but it will continue to be a distraction ;-(
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

A referendum wouldbe a huge waste of time and money, not everyone would vote, they wouldn't understand the consequences and the question could be phrased in such a way that nothing is changed. It would be better to put the resources into showing and informing people/businesses how to make the most of EU membership, and apply for all the grants, bursaries, expertise, exchanges, etc that is available if you know how to access it. An example being student grants for EU universities that provide english speaking courses, and pay students for studying instead of burdening them with huge debts. The conditions, such as the interest rates of these debts are not set in stone and could change at the whim of this uk govt or the next one.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 1:52 am
Banned

Think it is more a problem that the UK has a right to vote on whether they are ruled in brussels, this issue will not go away for the government until the UK get their vote.

Their are no negative consequences for the UK for being out of the EU, prior to joining the UK earned exports to the value of 30% of their GDP, that figure is now 15% plus the loss of a huge amount of industry to the EU, menaing less income for the government by way of taxation, NI contributions etch.

Whatever happens it is clear the UK's relationship with the EU will be set for major changes with all parties looking to end the free movement of labour and clawing back alot of control from Brussels. With this in mind the UK may not need a referendum as it will of set its self on a path away from the EU anyway, which is on the cards over the very near future fiscal agreements
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather like Spain, Hungary would I suspect not throw the baby out with the bathwater. By that I mean, the net expenditure of Brits living here would outweigh any benefit in making life too awkward if the UK stopped feeding the Brussels gravy-train and exited the EU. I like the idea of sovereign nations trading, it's what makes the world go round ............. I don't like an unelected, unnecessary, bloated, wealth-draining, self-serving, rule and regulation making entity telling us what we should or should not do.
[ Rant over, I feel better now ]
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:10 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Norway’s relations with the EU are mainly governed by the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA Agreement is in force since 1.1.1994 and extends the Single Market legislation, with the exception of Agriculture and Fisheries, from the EU Member States to Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Through the EEA Agreement, Norway also participates, albeit with no voting rights, in a number of EU Agencies and programmes, covering i.a. enterprise, environment, education and research programmes. Norway remains very supportive of the EU 2020 strategy, designed to create growth and jobs, which to a large extent Norway will also implement as part of the internal market. Norway also, along with its EEA/EFTA partners, contributes financially to social and economic cohesion in the EU/EEA. Norway is as integrated in European policy and economy as any non-member State can be, and the close EU-Norway relations generally run smoothly.
Norway furthermore participates in the Schengen/Dublin co-operation as well as Europol and Eurojust. Norway is actively seeking association with EU CFSP/ESDP, participates in EU joint actions such as the EU police mission in Bosnia, and has pledged personnel and equipment to the ESDP Rapid Reaction Force and to the EU Nordic battle group so long as the EU actions are undertaken under a UN mandate. Norway is also considered a valuable partner for the EU on the international stage with frequently shared policy priorities, as e.g. in the area of energy and climate change.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:15 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

If Norway is the example - it looks like you continue to pay up & comply with regulations - for the right to trade in the EU - but you just don't get a vote!

Lets try & make the EU work for all of us.

It was not long ago that Surrey County Council employed more people than the EU ! I don't know the current statistics - The UK press won't tell us. We get very little positive reporting on the EU & hardly any reporting from Europe at all.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Question Re: EU referendum

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
If Norway is the example - it looks like you continue to pay up & comply with regulations - for the right to trade in the EU - but you just don't get a vote!

Lets try & make the EU work for all of us.

It was not long ago that Surrey County Council employed more people than the EU ! I don't know the current statistics - The UK press won't tell us. We get very little positive reporting on the EU & hardly any reporting from Europe at all.
It's nice to see a positive attitude to the EU for a change, I believe it also helps keep the peace in Europe, although I suspect the Greek PM is not very popular in Germany and France at present.

Best headline in the papers today "Greece looses its Marbles"

We are so closely intergrated now it would be impossible to unravel the threads. Would we stop all the Brits who have moved to get work in the EU? would we repatriate the Poles from the UK (no more good plumbers and builders )

the French and Germans own many of the UK utilities, so much for "Sid" owning shares.
the Spanish own several of the UK airports. If the the euro dissolved all of those assets would have to be revalued, which would effect stocks and shares and our pension fund investments. It's certainly a nightmare and goodness knows how or when it will end, everyone needs to sit up and take notice.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
It's nice to see a positive attitude to the EU for a change, I believe it also helps keep the peace in Europe, although I suspect the Greek PM is not very popular in Germany and France at present.

Best headline in the papers today "Greece looses its Marbles"

We are so closely intergrated now it would be impossible to unravel the threads. Would we stop all the Brits who have moved to get work in the EU? would we repatriate the Poles from the UK (no more good plumbers and builders )

the French and Germans own many of the UK utilities, so much for "Sid" owning shares.
the Spanish own several of the UK airports. If the the euro dissolved all of those assets would have to be revalued, which would effect stocks and shares and our pension fund investments. It's certainly a nightmare and goodness knows how or when it will end, everyone needs to sit up and take notice.
Poles good plumbers & builders, you must be joking, not sure what they teach them in poland, they fall well short of british standard. Was speaking to our building Inspector and he stated they have lots of problems with the standard o work from polish builders, could be they do not understand the construction of the english build, certainly part of it he stated of polish builders taking money for jobs and then doing a runner and not completing the work.

Will they end the free exchange of eu workers into the UK, I believe they will as this is one area all parties actually agree on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.