Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cooking in Hungary

Cooking in Hungary

Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Cooking in Hungary

Out of curiosity, when in Hungary what do you cook? English? Hungarian? Other? Have you tried cooking gulash and the likes, trying other Hungarian dishes or just what you are used to?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking in Hungary

A mixture of everything but mostly Hungarian. We ate all kinds of food in England, including a lot of Hungarian....we were the only people we knew with a fire pit and bogracs in our garden
My wife's family were/are Hungarian and she owned her own curry house in England so she can cook pretty much most dishes.

Toady we had lamb porkolt in the bogracs. 1st time we're eaten lamb for 4 years (and I didn't enjoy it)
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Lamb has an unusual taste in Hungary, its mostly mutton but still odd. I cook and eat most dishes but the Halaszle (fish soup) is an acquired taste. Never again! I cringe everytime people rave over it, but each to its own.
Any info from anyone who knows of a good place to purdhase decent lamb and I am still looking for decent beef rump/sirloin steaks around the Keszthely area, would be appreciated. Any area really, if its really good.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
Lamb has an unusual taste in Hungary, its mostly mutton but still odd. I cook and eat most dishes but the Halaszle (fish soup) is an acquired taste. Never again! I cringe everytime people rave over it, but each to its own.
Any info from anyone who knows of a good place to purdhase decent lamb and I am still looking for decent beef rump/sirloin steaks around the Keszthely area, would be appreciated. Any area really, if its really good.
Well we're waiting for you to come and speak with our local farmer regards lamb and the local butcher with the intention of having the beef cut as per a British butcher.

The baron in Sumeg sells lamb - 3,000ft a kilo for the better cuts and 2,500ft for the less popular ones. I would prefer to buy half a lamb with somebody and butcher it ourselves or have somebody do it. Our farmer will sell one but hubby wasn't with me when I spoke about it and when I was quoted something like 1,500ft a kilo, I panicked and thought that I might actually be buying a live lamb - fleece and all, so I told them to leave it and just never got round to asking again
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Great idea. 3000ft a kilo, thats just over £8. Don't know the prices out there at the moment. Today I went to Asda's, bought stewing lamb, the cheapest turned out at just over £4 a kilo. I looked at the lamb chops, nice , small 9 in a box for £6.35, I didn't look at the weight but I would think a little less than a kilo. Leg of lamb, again didn't look at the weight, but looked good, and decent size, was £11.
Sounds pricey, anyone else in the area? The live furry lamb... can't get involved. It would end up with it's own food bowl sitting on the settee. When I was little, I went with my mother to the village butcher all the time. They had either pork or chicken. The hygiene had a lot to be desired and it was all chucked....yes chucked in a heap. I have seen the same in a lot of meat counters recently. It makes you want to turn vegetarian.
I still feel they are asking too much on account we are foreigners. We need to find a good butcher who is also a good butcher to the Hungarians. I too will be asking around when I get there, and can negotiate, but now that this thread has started perhaps if others reading this could participate with a bit of research and report back. We will all benefit with a large order.
I also think we should have a plan of action. Rather than asking what they want for their goods, how about getting a list together with our proposed reasonable suggested prices (low to start with) and asking if they can do the prices we want. But first we need to know who is charging what and where.
What do you think?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, when in Hungary what do you cook? English? Hungarian? Other? Have you tried cooking gulash and the likes, trying other Hungarian dishes or just what you are used to?
Mine is very mixed cooking. Brought up around lots of Italians so pasta, lasagna, meatballs etc I'm Scottish, so anything fried Spent some time in Morocco so cook tagines on occasion then of course Indian and some Chinese and last but not least..... Hungarian goulash.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

But first we need to know who is charging what and where.
What do you think?
Case of supply and demand I'm afraid - the supplier is British and my main issue is actually that I can't be bothered racing down there for a leg of lamb as due to demand, guaranteed they are gone before I get there. No, I would like to keep it simple, you speak to my local farmer, he'll like you (don't worry, he's married) tell him we want to buy a dead lamb, we don't want to choose it but will trust that he will select a nice one for us. Inform him that on delivery, it will have no fleece etc. I'll then take you to my friendly, hygienic and accommodating butcher (he minces me beef mince in the pork mincer - none of the others will ) I did say hygienic didn't I? We will show him a lamb cuts poster and ask him to butcher it accordingly - at the same time, we can ask the price to supply and butcher a side of beef.
There is another lamb supplier North of Marcali but I can't remember his address and his meat is usually frozen.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. You're on.
Next thing on my list was veg. Being spoiled with the sacks of spuds we get here, I don't suppose you know of any going? Also swede, still haven't managed to find any.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. You're on.
Next thing on my list was veg. Being spoiled with the sacks of spuds we get here, I don't suppose you know of any going? Also swede, still haven't managed to find any.
Swedes difficult but available at my local market (don't know about other markets) when in season and again, sacks of potatoes can be bought.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

I enjoy lamb too and haven`t had any since we arrived here in May. Before that I lived in Dalyan ( Turkey ) and although lamb was slightly more available, it didn`t have the taste we are used to, so I rarely ate it anyway. Probably because it was more likely to be hogget or even mutton.....it was still called lamb though ! Also, in England, I lived in Tenterden (Kent)....right on the edge of Romney Marsh, where there are thousands of lambs/sheep and so widely available from local farms. I love to cook a wide range of foods....`home` recipes often given to me by people in the countries I have been visiting. Oh yes...and I really do miss cornflour !!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

We cook all sorts of food, in fact its a bit of a hobby for Brian (when he gets time). We like to experiment with different cultures and tastes.

Some ingredients are hard to find here and it is taking a while to get used to everything being mostly seasonal. Not like in the UK where you can almost anything at any time of the year.

We will have lamb available later in the year. We bought the animals when they were small and they have been raised free range on our land and fed sugar beet, corn and barley, so hopefully will taste ok. I doubt if it will taste the same as NZ or UK lamb though as they do not have the pastures of grass. In fact the land looks pretty much like a dust bowl at the moment, we are desperate for rain.

We haven't thought about a price yet, but it won't be live and woolly!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Didn't you get the storm the other day?

Are you butchering yourself?

When you work out a price, PM me as you can't put it on here - it might be deemed as advertising.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

You're not letting it drop are you?

The lamb we had yesterday was home reared, organic lamb, not shop bought and definitely not mutton....and it was FREE

We do have a friend here who can get us lamb at 1,000 huf per kilo whether for a half or complete animal and that's butchered. Apparently he has a friend at a sheep farm who sends a lorry load of lamb to Italy each week.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Just read your post on the lamb being exported. Have you thought of maybe speaking about a potential deal for the Brits? Sounds really interesting, and I would appreciate if you get some more info.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Soproni is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife mainly cooks, and she cooks Hungarian style & English dishes.

I like English breakfasts and stews/casseroles, which translates in Hungary to .... English breakfasts and Goulash's/Pörkölt.

Perhaps I'm a heathen, but I think goulash/porkolt is just stew/casserole with some slightly different ingredients.

When I do cook, it's usually a stew/casserole/goulash/porkolt thingy.

I love lamb, wifey does not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.